X³: TC and AP - Linux support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict or X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

wasted90
x4

Re: X³: TC and AP - Linux support thread

Post by wasted90 » Thu, 12. Dec 19, 19:39

concerning and in addition to my post from yesterday:

-affected GOG installers:

gog_x3_terran_war_pack_2.4.0.5.sh
gog_x3_terran_war_pack_2.4.0.7.sh

(the two i've tried so far)

-i had a closer look at the voice files in question in clean game-installs and it looks like the language files shipped with the installer where just copied over from the windows game version. the contents of the following files

00149.dat in /GOG Games/X3 Terran War Pack/languages/German/mov/ -> https://i.imgur.com/MhIYLOm.png

00149.dat in /GOG Games/X3 Terran War Pack/languages/German/addon/mov/ -> https://i.imgur.com/VZYley9.png

00249.dat in /GOG Games/X3 Terran War Pack/languages/German/addon/mov/ _________/

are identified as ASF-media files which is a microsoft licensed proprietary data/media format. But it should be identified as OGG, like the english ones in /game/mov/ and /game/addon/mov/

ALL languages which have translated voices (german, french, russian; excluding english), are affected in the installers i have mentioned above.

im not 100% sure if its my or gogs/ egosofts fault, maybe i'm missing some bizarre librarys for dealing with microsoft formats, but looking at my steaminstall from X Rebirth, there are .dat files described as OGG format.

i wonder, when its gogs or egosofts fault, why the problem wasn't reported and already fixed to this date.
Last edited by wasted90 on Fri, 13. Dec 19, 05:18, edited 3 times in total.

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Fri, 13. Dec 19, 01:44

I'm happy to say i've found a way for a possible workaround for my issue i've described one and two posts before. maybe it will help others.

this should work for french, german and russian language. I tested it for german and russian.

this workaround is using the tool 'ffmpeg2theora' to convert the language files mime-type AFS to OGG

1. search in your distro repository for the package 'ffmpeg2theora' and install it, if there is none or its named differently, any web search engine may help, if not search for the sources and build it yourself.
it depends on 'ffmpeg' and 'libkate'

2. make a fresh install of the game as non-root user/ without sudo in /home/*username*/gog/x3twp

DONT let the installer create desktop or menu entries, since we don't need them as they try to launch the game through the start.sh script which would break this workaround.

when install is done, rename

~/gog/x3twp/game/lib/libz.so.1

to _libz.so.1_ or similar

3. open your prefered terminal-emulater as non-root user and do the conversion as followed without sudo:
take your time to replace the 'your_preferd_language' with 'French' 'German' or 'Russian' and the ** with '33' if you've set french, '49' for german, or '07' if russian is wanted.
never type the ' ', # or $.

Code: Select all

# $ ffmpeg2theora --output ~/gog/x3twp/game/mov/001**.dat ~/gog/x3twp/languages/your_preferd_language/mov/001**.dat

# $ ffmpeg2theora --output ~/gog/x3twp/game/addon/mov/001**.dat ~/gog/x3twp/languages/your_preferd_language/addon/mov/001**.dat

# $ ffmpeg2theora --output ~/gog/x3twp/game/addon/mov/002**.dat ~/gog/x3twp/languages/your_preferd_language/addon/mov/002**.dat
each file-conversion takes some time. go for one after the other.

4. copy the following files over, dont forget to replace the 'your_preferd_language' and the ** as mentioned above.

# $ cp ~/gog/x3twp/languages/your_preferd_language/mov/000**.pck ~/gog/x3twp/game/mov/000**.pck

# $ cp ~/gog/x3twp/languages/your_preferd_language/addon/mov/000**.pck ~/gog/x3twp/game/addon/mov/000**.pck

4.1 ONLY for russian: backup/ rename '~/gog/x3twp/game/mov/00810.dat' and '~/gog/x3twp/game/addon/mov/00810.dat', then copy:

# $ cp ~/gog/x3twp/languages/Russian/mov/00810.dat ~/gog/x3twp/game/mov/00810.dat

# $ cp ~/gog/x3twp/languages/Russian/addon/mov/00810.dat ~/gog/x3twp/game/addon/mov/00810.dat

5. navigate inside /game directory

# $ cd ~/gog/x3twp/game

6. use the following command for the albion-prelude launcher and edit graphics and input settings to your likings, exit the launcher afterwards.
again replace ** with '07', '33', '49' and/ or exchange 'AP' with 'TC' for terran conflict settings

# $ ./X3AP_config -language **

# $ ./X3TC_config -language ** 

7. if you want you can undo the renaming of ~/gog/x3twp/game/lib/libz.so.1 as long as you make it useless again when using the X3**_config launcher

8. always start the game for TC or AP from terminal inside /game directory with:

# $ ./X3AP_main -language ** 

# $ ./X3TC_main -language ** 
but you can also create a starter for it.

9. Profitsss

Ubuntu man page for ffmpeg2theora

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sun, 12. Apr 20, 20:38

I'm recently having problem loading X3 - X3 TC and X3 AP with the Steam Client.
When I changed from Windows to Linux everything was working just fine (and better than in Windows thank you).
Then at some point in the late stages of Beta 3.00 (Hotfix7 or 8 I believe) of X4, I couldn't open the X3 series any more.
What's happening?
Using:
Linux Ubuntu 18.04.00 LS
Graphic card NVIDIA GTX 1660 Ti 5 GB RAM

P.S. Edit: Is there a way I can get the stand alone versions (read they are availlable from GoG) if I have Steam licenses for them?

_JD_
x4

Post by _JD_ » Sun, 12. Apr 20, 21:42

Hey, developers can't do much without some error message: try to start steam from a terminal with the option -console, then start X3 and, after the crash, copy all the console output, save it in a file and link it here.

Dr.Claw
x3ap

Post by Dr.Claw » Fri, 1. May 20, 21:42

Greetings devs. During lockdown I went back to play my X3 TC / AP games and in my newly upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 (64bit), but it won't run. I tried moving libs all over the place, but after a significant amount of work it is "Unable to initialize the graphical subsystem". It worked fine in Ubuntu 18.04, for reference.

Would it be too much to ask to get a new Steam version built that supports modern (64bit) Ubuntu with current libraries?

Thanks!

dtpsprt
x4

Post by dtpsprt » Sat, 2. May 20, 01:50

Dr.Claw wrote:
Fri, 1. May 20, 21:42
Greetings devs. During lockdown I went back to play my X3 TC / AP games and in my newly upgraded Ubuntu 20.04 (64bit), but it won't run. I tried moving libs all over the place, but after a significant amount of work it is "Unable to initialize the graphical subsystem". It worked fine in Ubuntu 18.04, for reference.

Would it be too much to ask to get a new Steam version built that supports modern (64bit) Ubuntu with current libraries?

Thanks!
Sorry to say BUT it did not work at the end of Ubuntu 18.04 too... it has to do something with the "new" Steam changes I'm afraid

wasted90
x4

Post by wasted90 » Wed, 6. May 20, 19:20

i have X3:TC/AP on GOG so i cant test it. But have you tried to force the 'steam linux runtime' as compatibility tool for the game?

also try renaming /lib/libz.so.1 to _libz.so.1_ or something like that in the installation directory of the game.

Garga-Potter
x3tc

Post by Garga-Potter » Sat, 16. May 20, 11:56

I posted here how to solve the issue

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=332472&start=360#p4951012
- Never argue with an idiot: he will first take you to his level and then crash you with his experience!
- If you live in a village and never met his fool... start to worry!
- Good Bye, and thanks for all the fish.

gnu.beef
x3tc

Post by gnu.beef » Fri, 18. Sep 20, 22:28

Is there any chance that someone could look at this floating point exception crash from 2015 viewtopic.php?p=4558369#p4558369 ? It's easily reproducible (in any big fight) and is consistently crashing the game still in 2020, making it unplayable.

EDIT: it looks like a similar (or same?) SIGFPE bug is crashing the Mac version in combat too viewtopic.php?p=4853519#p4853519
X3TC (vanilla+bp): X-TREME/X-TREME 2019-08-31
X3AP (vanilla+bp): Opportunist/Harmless

Alfil
x3ap

Post by Alfil » Fri, 25. Sep 20, 12:30

Все добрый день.
Возникла такая проблема. Решил тут на днях поиграть в x3tc, однако оказалось что steam вместо linux версии качает и устанавливает версию под windows.
Пробовал отключить steam play - не помогло. Попробовал переустановить steam - не помогло.
Написал в тех поддержку steam и получил такой ответ:

" After looking into the issue further, the game is configured to download an .exe file regardless of which OS is being used. This is set by the developers and not something we can change at Steam Support.
Additionally, we've looked into the logs for your account and can see that the Linux files are being downloaded and installed. Are you still having trouble launching the game in question?
If so, please read our Preparing to Launch article for detailed troubleshooting steps that may help. The article may seem long, but completing all the steps listed will ensure your machine is in a good state and help rule out common problems users experience when trying to launch a game.
If your game still doesn't launch after following the suggestions in the article, you will need to contact the game developer's official support team, as they will be a better source for troubleshooting their game."

Иначе говоря меня отфутболили к egosoft, типо "мы тут не в курсе, это все разработчики"
Вопрос: как решить все таки эту проблему что б steam загрузил то, что нужно?

Ос Linux Mint 20

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 25. Sep 20, 14:41

Sorry, but I'm struggling to understand what the problem is. As Steam support have already told you, you DO have the Linux version installed, and should be able to just click Play in the Steam client to play. There may be a 0-byte X3TC.exe file in the game folder, but that's just a placeholder and does nothing.

Alfil
x3ap

Post by Alfil » Fri, 25. Sep 20, 16:52

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 25. Sep 20, 14:41
Sorry, but I'm struggling to understand what the problem is. As Steam support have already told you, you DO have the Linux version installed, and should be able to just click Play in the Steam client to play. There may be a 0-byte X3TC.exe file in the game folder, but that's just a placeholder and does nothing.
Что ж, извиняюсь, видимо я все таки идиот, раз обратил внимание на состав папки, и не обратил на содержимое этих файлов.
Остается вопрос как все таки запустить игру.
При старте как с кнопки "играть" так и через терминал появляется окошко Steam "подготовка к запуску" и все, игра закрывается
Терминал выдает только это:

steam steam://rungameid/2820
Running Steam on linuxmint 20 64-bit
STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
Pins up-to-date!
Steam client's requirements are satisfied
/home/alfil/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam -nominidumps -nobreakpad steam://rungameid/2820

Если есть уже готовое решение - ткните в него носом - я не обижусь )
Дополнено:

Порывшись в папках steam нашел логи, там есть такой текст:

ExecCommandLine: "'/home/alfil/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/steam' '-nominidumps' '-nobreakpad' 'steam://rungameid/2820'"
ExecuteSteamURL: "steam://rungameid/2820"
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
Could not connect to X session manager: None of the authentication protocols specified are supported
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp changed task to ProcessingInstallScript with ""
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp changed task to SynchronizingCloud with ""
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp changed task to SiteLicenseSeatCheckout with ""
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp changed task to CreatingProcess with ""
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp waiting for user response to CreatingProcess ""
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp continues with user response "CreatingProcess"
Opted-in Controller Mask for AppId 2820: 0
Game update: AppID 2820 "", ProcID 29574, IP 0.0.0.0:0
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/alfil/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/alfil/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Starting app 2820
>>> Adding process 29574 for game ID 2820
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp changed task to WaitingGameWindow with ""
>>> Adding process 29575 for game ID 2820
>>> Adding process 29576 for game ID 2820
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/alfil/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
GameAction [AppID 2820, ActionID 16] : LaunchApp changed task to Completed with ""
>>> Adding process 29577 for game ID 2820
>>> Adding process 29578 for game ID 2820
>>> Adding process 29579 for game ID 2820
>>> Adding process 29580 for game ID 2820
>>> Adding process 29581 for game ID 2820
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/alfil/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64): ignored.
./X3TC_config: lib/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16)
Game removed: AppID 2820 "", ProcID 29574
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam
Exiting app 2820
No cached sticky mapping in ActivateActionSet.

Вопрос решен установкой в качестве параметра запуска LD_PRELOAD=/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 %command%
Спасибо что на первое сообщение ответили оперативно и заставили исходить из того, что уже есть на компьютере )

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 25. Sep 20, 18:32

Just to confirm, does that solution mean you can now play the game? :)

Alfil
x3ap

Post by Alfil » Sat, 26. Sep 20, 14:08

CBJ wrote:
Fri, 25. Sep 20, 18:32
Just to confirm, does that solution mean you can now play the game? :)
Да. на место пилота еще не садился, но игра запустилась.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 26. Sep 20, 14:58

Great! Hope you enjoy the game. :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Technical Support”