Keyboard input far too fast

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

habeebafett
x3ap

Keyboard input far too fast

Post by habeebafett » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 19:32

Hey all

Have an issue with X3TC whereby the menus are almost unacessable due to one keystroke being registered as two or three.

For example, I hit enter to open menu, and the game registers 2 or 3 keystrokes so I end up at the property menu or somesuch, it just flicks right through consecutive menus.

I need to be really carful with mouse and key input, gingerly tapping keys and swearing at the screen lots till I get to the right menu -really frustrating as im sure you can imagine.

any ideas how i can solve?

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 19:34

Can you tell em how you got it like that? I would love that. And sorry, no Idea :/

pr0nflakes
x4

Post by pr0nflakes » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 19:44

Control Panel>Keyboard>repeat rate.(XP)

I had a similar problem with the Shift+J jump menu going straight to Jupiter.
AMD Ryzen 2700X
Gigabyte Aorus X470 Gaming
Powercolor RX56 Vega Red Dragon 8GB
16GB Corsair Vengance DDR4 @3200MHZ
Windows 10 X64
https://www.3dmark.com/spy/5058817

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 19:53

This FAQ entry may still be relevant.

masterw3
x4

in different instances, it reacts faster or slower. be more specific

Post by masterw3 » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 20:44

when you are in a text/string entry box (aka: where you type a name, message or number)
the keystroke recognition is so ungodly slow.. you can't ram out a message.. the second keypress of the same letter doesn't recognize, it takes a thrid or fourth press to show, and some keypresses are so quick that the engine doesn't see them...message entry:
"$1,60,00 , 1.6 milion, satelite factory bult, tradrs refshed, gong to bed"
and that's not from a typo, i hit every key... even deleted the $1,600,000 to replace it with the 1.6 million...

in-game user interface... when you hit SHIFT-J to jump...
it leaps your Jump Map to Jupiter Sector WAY too often.. it's registering the lingering "J" press, and sliding the map well away from what i'm doing.. esc, esc, try again.. NO the missile.. i'm dead.. DOH..

it would be nice if we could adjust how quickly the key repeat affects text entry.. and another self adjuster/slider for how quickly it detects main user interface repeating keystrokes.

"EDIT"
i do not believe that FAQ Joystick is the issue..
but very well may be for some, so try it if you do have an issue, it may help some people, so is GOOD to know.

but this has been an issue for me, and have no joystick on my machine unless during combat... and that is only recently, as i've been playing without one at ALL up untill a few days ago...
and this issue is a constant...

what it is, is that the new menu (map popping up, forces the keyboard being queried for a keystroke TOO soon, or not detecting whether or not the key was ALREADY pressed whan the new menu/map popped up..
if they could get the JUMP map to look for a FRESH keystroke, (wait untill keyboard input is "NULL" before accepting a new command/keypress) that particular issue could be resolved.

not sure why the text entry fails to repeat so often, maybe they need to speed up the keypress requests.. or slow the rest of the game while it's up so that it can retrieve the keys.. i don'ty know..
depends how the prgoram was written..
good luck to them on finding such a task, hopefully someone provides enuf detail as to when it's happening that they can figure it out...
if they even care about the user-interface, which i think they do, considering what they tried to do... and partially succeed, by modifying the user interface theway they did.
i just hope they can allow us the option to UNBURY some of the commands from the sub-menus...
fleet managment should NEVER take a sub-menu-slot, when you cannot multi-select and drag-and-drop mass quantities of items and ships...

habeebafett
x3ap

Post by habeebafett » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 21:22

Carlo the Curious wrote:This FAQ entry may still be relevant.
Appreciate the responses, the above helped a little but still not right.

Cant access SETA because no mater how carefully i hit teh J key it seems to switch on then right off again :(

also have they disabled the free roaming cameras in esternal view? cant seem toi rotate as i wish and cant even get back into cockpit mode sometimes. *sigh

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 22:01

@ habeebafett & masterw3

sounds like you're getting some vicious lag there - what are your rig's specs ..?

- a DXDiag print-out might show something

- top post in this Forum tells you how to get one..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

arnak
x3tc

TC Problem.

Post by arnak » Sat, 15. Nov 08, 23:39

Hi,

Just a suggestion but what about trying Disable vertex optimisation?

It worked for similar problems in Reunion.

Arnak
Just remember that Murphy was an optimist!!

i7 4ghz, R290 vid card, 16 gig Ram, W7.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 16. Nov 08, 08:00

habeebafett wrote: Appreciate the responses, the above helped a little but still not right.

Cant access SETA because no mater how carefully i hit teh J key it seems to switch on then right off again :(

also have they disabled the free roaming cameras in esternal view? cant seem toi rotate as i wish and cant even get back into cockpit mode sometimes. *sigh
Are you sure you don't have a game controller sending continuous signals to the game, as Carlos' link mentioned? All the symptoms you're talking about suggest such a thing--rapid keystrokes, unable to activate SETA (because the continuous signal from the controller drops you out of it as soon as it starts), inability to rotate external view (which I assure you is NOT disabled)...I would try unplugging all the controllers you have to see if that fixes the issue; if it does you then have to find which one is causing the issue.

Note that the Mode switch on Saitek X45 and X52 joysticks is known to do this--you have to modify the shortcut you use to launch X3 to include -ignorejoy X on the command line, where X is the number of the controller button to ignore. I think numbers 9 to 14 (inclusive) are the ones.

habeebafett
x3ap

Post by habeebafett » Tue, 18. Nov 08, 00:35

ooo TY your a star - the problem IS the x52 Jstick i use but....

the constant input issue comes from the "mode switch" rotary on the top right of joystick, the one that lets you select between button configs.

Now in controller properties this shows as a toggle switch but for some strange reason X3TC registers the 3 differant positions as "POV up" "Joystck button24" and "POV down" ......

****GOT IT!!!****

SOLVED - simply edited shortcut to ignore Jstick #24 and leave in that position

YAY!! I can use SETA!

Thanks agian...

Now if I could only solve these darned perfomance issues and run at a nice res :evil: :lol:

n3m4x
x4

Post by n3m4x » Fri, 23. Jan 09, 23:48

I Had the exsact same problem, But thanks to habeebafett i disabled the 24 button and it workes now!!! YAY

Thanks alot!!

Hairless-Ape
xr

Re: Keyboard input far too fast

Post by Hairless-Ape » Tue, 10. Oct 23, 03:56

Had the exact same problem just appear out of nowhere.. one day working fine with my Airbus joystick, next day whenever I loaded up my X3 save game, pretty much any keystroke I clicked would immediately rapid repeat, making it unplayable.

I disconnected the joystick and the issue went away.
But I like my joy.

I Found this Article and also did the -ignorejoy 24 (even though I don't have 24 buttons at all), and that fixed it.

The only thing I can figure, is that plugged in a PS3 controller in my PC to recharge it right before all this happened (it was just convenient to charge it off my USB), but unfortunately my PC loaded some driver for it.
I'm figuring that whatever driver got loaded may be the problem and is interfering with joystick operations.
Out of my mind. Back in 5 minutes.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Keyboard input far too fast

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 10. Oct 23, 16:35

Thanks for the confirmation of the workaround recommended above, but this was a 14 year necro too. :wink:
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”