Vsync?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Toastysoul
x4

Vsync?

Post by Toastysoul » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 18:35

I don't see an option for Vsync within the game or launcher's gfx options. When playing a video, the game is rolling at 1000fps, and when docked 160fps. This was maxing out my video card, and unnecessarily heating it up, using power, etc. I used the driver settings to enable vsync, and now it runs a cool 60fps, using roughly 30% of my GPU, and not heating it up.

I guess my question is, why is there no option to set vsync, max frame rate, both, or is it something I missed?

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 19:21

Shootist
x4

Re: Vsync?

Post by Shootist » Sun, 24. Oct 10, 19:32

Toastysoul wrote:I don't see an option for Vsync within the game or launcher's gfx options. When playing a video, the game is rolling at 1000fps, and when docked 160fps. This was maxing out my video card, and unnecessarily heating it up, using power, etc. I used the driver settings to enable vsync, and now it runs a cool 60fps, using roughly 30% of my GPU, and not heating it up.

I guess my question is, why is there no option to set vsync, max frame rate, both, or is it something I missed?
disclaimer: Someone suggested installing rivatuner to force vSync on. I have yet to try that as I'm using EVGA Precision (written by the Rivatuner author) and am happy with that product. However, it does not offer the vSync option.

Using nVidia control panel vSync option does not implement vSync in X3TC (at least for me). I've underclocked my video card from 600mhz to 450mhz. While I still get 60-120FPS in most locations, even in SETA, the card (9800GX2) no longer overheats as badly.

[edit add] I opened the video card and cleaned the two years of accumulated dust within. No help. Back to 450mhz.

garthnok
x3tc

Post by garthnok » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 18:13

I am also using EVGA precision with 2 460's in sli. V-Sync is all that saved my cards in X3:TC. Hitting 100 C. I forced it under the Nvidia control panel.

When I get home I will give you exact instructions for what I did.

My cards now stay 60-70 C range on temps which is completely acceptable with air cooled.
"Potions work great for the PC, but because of the limited number of buttons on a console controller..." :cry:

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 18:46

garthnok wrote:I am also using EVGA precision with 2 460's in sli. V-Sync is all that saved my cards in X3:TC. Hitting 100 C. I forced it under the Nvidia control panel.

When I get home I will give you exact instructions for what I did.

My cards now stay 60-70 C range on temps which is completely acceptable with air cooled.
Two 460s must be a real joy! :mrgreen:

Even at 450mhz I still have problems with overheating in HUB and Terran space. I may turn off SLi and see if that hurts, er, helps.

I've had all the performance problems (stuttering, jerky, surging) problems that you see mentioned in tech support. Couldn't understand it initially because games like Call of Duty, Fallout 3 and Mass Effect I and II, played so smoothly. It, sometimes, makes me wonder whether all the tweaking I did to allow high frame rates under high CPU (scripts) loads was worth it. But only sometimes.
:lol:

garthnok
x3tc

Post by garthnok » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 20:09

GFX card is part of the stuttering problem, but honestly your CPU is also a major component as well. Even when I was running an ATI 5870 with a intel dual core e6600 I got some stuttering.

Just switching to the I7 950 eliminated all stuttering before I changed the gfx card.

FYI ATI drivers blow for multi screen setup. They still won't admit there was problem with 500 threads discussing the same issue. But that card always ran under 50 Celsius consitantly air cooled.
"Potions work great for the PC, but because of the limited number of buttons on a console controller..." :cry:

Shootist
x4

Post by Shootist » Mon, 25. Oct 10, 21:29

garthnok wrote:GFX card is part of the stuttering problem, but honestly your CPU is also a major component as well. Even when I was running an ATI 5870 with a intel dual core e6600 I got some stuttering.

Just switching to the I7 950 eliminated all stuttering before I changed the gfx card.

FYI ATI drivers blow for multi screen setup. They still won't admit there was problem with 500 threads discussing the same issue. But that card always ran under 50 Celsius consitantly air cooled.
This game is optimized for 256meg 6000-7000 series nvidia cards. I do not believe that video cards 3 and 4 generations removed have difficulty rendering the rather simple graphics. This game is CPU bound, not GPU.

No stuttering since I fiddled with video settings (threaded optimization, forced on, max pre-rendered frames = 0-1), added RAM above 4GB, and the x-unleashed mod. Since I am only into my new game about 3 game days, the mod has been removed, though it really helps out when things get busy late game.

This box scores 21500+ on 3DMark06; which is about as good as it gets, with a 3.825ghz Kentsfield, on air. The only faster native, not overclocked, processors, are those i5-i7 series that OC a single core to 3.6ghz.

garthnok
x3tc

Post by garthnok » Tue, 26. Oct 10, 03:22

Quick Tutorial for forcing V-sync.

1. Turn of any OC on your cards. Some of these programs force certain settings and can cause nvidia control panel to not function correctly.

2. Open Nvidia Control Panel by right clicking on your desktop.

3. Under 3D setting tab, click manage 3D settings.

4. Under the global settings tab, scroll to bottom of the options and click V-Sync: Allow Program to decide. Change this to always on.

5. Click APPLY at bottom right corner.

Congrats, you have now forced the frame rate to match the Mhz refresh rate of you monitor. Should be 60-75 fps.

6. Get fraps or EVGA precision to give you your fps...

starship02
x3tc

Re: Vsync?

Post by starship02 » Thu, 22. Nov 18, 17:01

I know, this thread is quite old. But because of my own experience on my new system, i post my solution here. Hope this helps others with the same problem:

For newer AMD cards (i have an RX470) there is also a new "Radeon Software", where one can set such options. If i just force "vsync" there, it does also not working, and X3TC climbing up to insane high fps. But "Radeon Settings" also have an option called "Frame Rate Target Control" in the same tab as you can the vsync option. Enable FRTC and set it to 60 fps works like a charme, i have now 60 fps in X3TC.

Maybe this helps others and eventually the nvidia settings have something similiar? I don't know for sure about nvidia, because i have none, sorry.
Datenschutz ist ein Grundrecht. Niemand muss sich dafür rechtfertigen, dieses Grundrecht in Anspruch zu nehmen.
Ich nehme dieses Grundrecht für mich in Anspruch. Basta!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”