Saving Failed

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Saving Failed

Post by Joe McCracken » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 09:21

X3AP. Latest version. Won't work in X3TC either. wow. I can't figure out how to get the game to save. I've uninstalled it and reinstalled it and it will not save. Looked in properties, it was read only, so I changed that, as the FAQ answer suggested. Still no dice. I have no cache that I can find.

I can get the dxdiag to run, but it wont save. says it can' find the file. which is driving me crazy because i'm trying to save it, not find it.

I am at my wits end. was wondering if anyone can help. :?
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 11:25

Hi. It sounds like you have permissions issues affecting both game saving and DxDiag saving (probably other things too) - most likely to do with your Documents folder and/or perhaps AppData. Although you fixed the read only status for the save file itself, you also need to look at permissions for the entire chain of folders in the Directory Path involved.

Are you the administrator and account holder for the PC user account you are using to play? Have you tried running the game and DxDiag etc in 'run as Admin' mode?

You also need to tell us at least whether this is the Steam version unmodified, what OS you are using and whether you have changed your documents location recently, or perhaps moved or copied your save folder. These actions can set flags that stop saving.

If you have an existing save folder for these games, see if it contains a save called x99.sav. If it does, then delete it and try again after all the above permissions checks.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 18:30

First of all, thank you, Alan for your reply.

It is the steam version, it is modified but it has been modified for years and never had this problem. Also windows 10 home.

ok. I think the permissions may be messed up... how would I go about getting that fixed?

I think it is that because I have other games that will not save too, and it all started at the same time.

And yes this is my computer at home so I better be the administrator and account holder...

also I can't seem to find a save folder for X3AP... I have one for TC but I can't save in it either, and no x99.sav there.

Thanks again for the help.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 20:54

well I thought I changed the read only status but it went back to read only. I changed it again, then checked it again and it keeps going back to read only. I don't know what is going on.

As far as administrator goes It looks like I am... I've even tried restoring the computer to a previous save and it won't do it because it can't find a file. i'm about ready to take this thing out and ventilate the hard drive.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 20:54

So what OS is this? (Mac OS often has permission issues with documents folders.)

You need to check for a 'read only' flag at each successive folder in every step of the directory path to your saves. For X3AP this would typically be:

Drive Letter:\Users\Your Name\Documents\Egosoft\X3AP\save

For TC the X3AP will be changed to X3TC

(Let me know if your save paths are significantly different.)

The fact that other applications have this issue since the same point in time makes it sound as though you might have copied or moved your documents folder from one location or system to another. That process can set read only flags, compress the files/folders or even encrypt them depending upon your system options and settings. That could well stop normal saves and overwrites from happening, or even prevent the necessary folders being created in the first place.

Good luck with your investigation.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 23:06

windows 10.

I've checked every level all the way down for read only, and they are all read only. I change them, and they are all read only. they won't change.

Thanks for your time Alan. I'm going to nuke this drive.

I really hate windows 10.

:evil:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 4. Apr 18, 23:42

Just before you nuke it, are you sure you don't have a forgotten protection or Nanny type application running that is intended to protect the system from tampering by 'inexperienced' users?

(I don't have any such issues with Win10.)

Good luck anyway.

Catmandu

Re: Saving Failed

Post by Catmandu » Thu, 27. Jun 19, 14:41

I'd like to continue this thread because I'm having the same exact problem.

Windows 10, fresh steam download and cannot save games. I have read only on my documents file now and cannot remove it. I have both user and administrator permissions as I am the only one that uses this computer. All drivers and bios were updated today prior to re-installing the game from Steam. I had steam confirm local files and there were no errors. Not only am I concerned about saving this game now, but my documents file seemingly cannot be written to any longer. Read only in the documents folder is also not a check mark but a black box inside the check box. Additionally, all subfolders also contain this black box as a check mark. This now affects many other games that I can no longer save. I have only had this issue since installing X3 TC

Edit.... Checked Windows 10 forums which stated that folders are always marked this way for read only as it is an intermediate state. I hope this helps.

Edit.... Followed a research trail that stated OneDrive can cause an issue with the documents folder as it is shared with OneDrive. Disabling OneDrive did not fix the save itssue.

Please help

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: Saving Failed

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 27. Jun 19, 20:00

In order to set a file or files to be able to read/write, every folder in their direct directory path has to be set to the same starting from the PC level and working downwards to the files. As an example, a folder or file in the Documents folder cannot be set to read/write if any of the Users folder, Your Name folder or the Documents folder are set to read only.

Other issues: make sure that you do not have an x99.sav file in your save folder; delete it if you have and try again.

Have you moved or copied elsewhere and redirected your Documents or save folder (perhaps using a flash or mobile drive device)? If so then suspect that read only status, compression or even encryption may have been applied to the moved folders and files and needs to be undone for further use.

If all else fails then suspect a wider OS permissions or required Steam/Windows account/log-on issue with your system or that your AntiVirus or other system protection settings are too aggressive.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”