X3TC latest update 3.4 has serious frame rate problems - Resolved, debugging was enabled

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

doc_slaney
x3tc

X3TC latest update 3.4 has serious frame rate problems - Resolved, debugging was enabled

Post by doc_slaney » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 00:09

I have a very high spec computer which to put in perspective runs HTC VIVE Virtual Reality perfectly. I have been running X3TC older versions for many years and not had a problem, running at the highest graphics levels. Since the update to 3.4 the game has become unplayable, which is a great shame. In many sectors the frame rate drops so much the screen freezes and update every few seconds. Please can someone help me.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware Aurora R6
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 07DB
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware 1.0.19, 11/02/2019
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Cards

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Re: X3TC latest update 3.4 has serious frame rate problems

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 00:44

"Since the update to 3.4 ..." You mean since 16 months ago?

If from Steam, have you verified the X3TC gamefile cache recently? I ask because most players reported improvements with that update rather than new frame rate issues.

If that doesn't help then we'll need a link to a fresh DxDiag to help us to see what is going on. I assume your game is unmodded?
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 17:53

Hi, thanks for the reply. I had only just updated to 3.4 as hadnt checked for updates for a while. It is not a steam version, I purchased as part of X Gold CD package.

Kind Regards

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Sat, 20. Apr 19, 17:54

Sorry the game is unmodded.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 16:11

Latest Update to my problem:

I decided to uninstall X3. I updated my Graphics card for the latest drivers. I updates windows 10.
I purchased X3 Terran Conflict from Steam and downloaded it.

I ran the Game and loaded one of my saved files.

The frame rate issue occurs when I enter sectors which have large planets visible in them, such as Jupiter. The frame rate when the planet is visible in the screen drops to an update every 2-3 seconds! If I manage to wait and move the craft I am flying so the planet is not longer visible then the frame rate returns to normal. The moment I move the craft to where the planet is visible on the screen then the frame rate drops. The Game almost freezes and is unplayable!.

Any help is appreciated.

doc_slaney
x3tc

X3 Terran Conflict Game frame rate updates every 2-3 secs when large planets present

Post by doc_slaney » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 16:21

I have a very high spec computer which to put in perspective runs HTC VIVE Virtual Reality perfectly. I have been running X3TC older versions for many years and not had a problem, running at the highest graphics levels. I did a recent update to 3.4 as I was running the CD variant. The game has become unplayable, which is a great shame. The problem occurs when I enter sectors with large planets present on screen. The frame rate drops so much the screen freezes and update every few seconds. If I manage to be patient and fly the ship so that the planet is not on screen then the frame rates return to normal. The moment I move the ship to where the planet is visible the game begins to freeze and update every 2-3 seconds. On some occasions the planet detail is removed and all I see is a single colour greyish round planet.

My computer specification is as follows:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.17763 Build 17763
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Alienware
System Model Alienware Aurora R6
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 07DB
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4200 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Alienware 1.0.19, 11/02/2019
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Cards

To try and fix this I decided to uninstall X3. I updated my Graphics card for the latest drivers. I updated windows 10 with all the latest updates available.

I purchased X3 Terran Conflict from Steam and downloaded it.

I ran the Game and loaded one of my saved files.

I still have the same problem.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Mon, 22. Apr 19, 21:09

Duplicate threads merged and we're still waiting for a link to a freshly-run DxDiag.

Do you still have this big planet view slowdown issue if you do a fresh gamestart? If not then the problem could possibly be embedded in your old save(s).

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 19:36

Here is a link to a fresh run DxDiag:

https://ufile.io/tj3d5363

I have not yet tried a fresh run.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 20:12

The X3TC serious Windows Error reported in the DxDiag is with nvd3dum.dll which is a part of your graphics driver suite. It may be worth doing a clean uninstall and reinstall of the latest WHQL driver - although I cannot tell if this error happened before or after you last updated your Nvidia driver.

Aside from that, the DxDiag looks pretty good although you may wish to disable in Device Manager (even if only temporarily) any devices and drivers that you do not use while gaming (eg perhaps your onboard graphics chipset and the Nvidia *sound* device, etc). This is really easy to do and to reverse as necessary (right-click on a device in the Device Manager list for an enable/disable pop-up).

Good luck.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:37

HI,

I Uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers and re-installed the latest versions.

I tried a totally new game, the first on the list and it was totally unplayable. Exactly the same problems. (Terran ..) . I loaded my saved game and same problem again in some sectors.

The error reported in DxDiag, I do not know when this occurred as it always seems present.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:39

Further more, once I exit the program. I cannot get it to run again without re-starting my computer. Steam reports it as preparing to launch the program and never does.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:42

The Latest DxDiag run is here:

https://ufile.io/qfhi5oet

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Tue, 23. Apr 19, 22:51

Apologies as there is one more thing I would like to add. A couple of nights ago I decided to let X3 run over night while I was docked as I am in the middle of the Hub Mission and it is taking forever. When I woke up in the morning I had found it had crashed (my anti-virus kicked in at some point and returned the program to windows). Normally I can click on the X3 icon which is pinned to the bottom bar and return to X3. On this occasion I could not. This maybe the source of the error.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 07:54

Apologies for the multiple threads, I am remembering issues as they happened. When X3TC crashed after leaving to run over night there was a message on Windows saying out of memory.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 11:23

The DxDiag hasn't really changed and the change to Steam version hasn't helped (I thought it *might* have been a DVD patching issue) so all I can suggest are the following:

1. Run the Steam verify gamefiles cache for X3TC.

2. Try temporarily disabling unnecessary devices and drivers while playing as I suggested in a post above. (Reinstalling the Nvidia graphics suite will reinstall/enable its sound device and driver too.)

How a 32 GB RAM system can run out of Windows memory, I have no idea. It may be that the game itself has a limit to memory addressing though this should easily cover all that it ever needs. Perhaps your protection suite kicking in diverted the RAM for routine checks?

Good luck.

doc_slaney
x3tc

Post by doc_slaney » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 21:04

Hi,

I have tried all of your suggestions but to no avail. I have the same problems. For example if I fly to "Family Njy" through the West Gate from "NJY's Deception", the planet is a grey circle colour with no other graphical features. If I move so more of the planet, asteroids and stations are in view then the screen begins to freeze. It will update every 1-2 seconds and it is even difficult to exit the program. If I can get to fairly clear space (i.e. not much in view then all seems well again).

The game has a definite bug and is unusable.

I have given up on it, which is a huge shame. I am also unable to get a refund from Steam.

Am I the only one with this issue?

Here is a link to my saved game file if you want to see if you can run with it - https://ufile.io/9kro4wtx

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 24. Apr 19, 21:37

I think you may be amongst very, very few with this issue. I'd love to try the save for you but I'm not waiting 10 mins for an artificially slow free download.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 25. Apr 19, 18:40

doc_slaney wrote:
Sat, 20. Apr 19, 17:54
Sorry the game is unmodded.
You may have no scripts or mods installed, but you certainly activated the Script Editor and turned on the "Script Debugging: Additional Info" option. Now the game collects and writes lots of unnecessary debug info to your savegame. Hence why it is so big and the game becomes unplayable. A normal savegame is between 7 MB at gamestart and 10 to 20 MB (maybe 30 MB) in an advanced game, your savegame is currently at 184 MB in size.

What should work is disabling the debug option and clearing the debug messages. Afterwards save and load the game. That will hopefully delete all the debug info, and make the game playable again.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

doc_slaney
x3tc

Re: X3TC latest update 3.4 has serious frame rate problems - debugging was enabled

Post by doc_slaney » Thu, 2. May 19, 00:28

Thank you very much, the problem is fixed!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”