[Resource & progress]my ship showcase room(07/02/12)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 09:51

Hey Expnoby,
while you struggle with polycount problem, maybe you could make ATF M8 so we could have full set of M8 in XRM?

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 10:08

Its a new Xenon super weapon that cripples any and all computer systems that dare to load it! lol
I used to list PC parts here, but "the best" will suffice!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 10:32

Also your first version of Xenon M0 might be good M1+:
http://bbs.deeptimes.org/data/attachmen ... 0lghud.jpg

deca.death
x3tc

Post by deca.death » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 14:18

expnobody wrote: .......i think it should look alot better ingame..i am wondering should i sent this thing to paul at all regarding to poly issue, the last version is 250K poly, this is 260K (dont ask me why, ask egosoft why deca's model cost 13K poly each even after i strip all the antennas and other stuff off)
As I've heard from him, he's reluctant to put high poly models in game (I believe you've send him another one, some USC M0 or something, before) so I don't think sending him this would be a good idea.

We must consider high-poly problems; tc is basically terribly optimized game, I have i5 on 3.6Ghz and I still have performance issues on the game that's now.. how much, 6 yrs old? It's an real issue. You love making high poly monster ships. Maybe it would be a good idea to learn to use some of the mentioned tools who rectify those issues. Model which isn't used ingame somehow hasn't achieved it's true purpose.

Ship does look impressive, looks better in different angles we've seen it last time, and it's definitely one of your more original creations. It would be too bad to go to waste. In meantime, you could make or send more of youm smaller ships. What about that awesome xenon M8? I hope that's sent already.

nap_rz
x3tc

Post by nap_rz » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 15:09

has anyone actually test the game framerate compared to the number of polygons/ship? I have suspicions that the poly count is actually does not matter much in this game because the problem is on the CPU side of things.

Zaknafein
xr

Post by Zaknafein » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 16:07

you are right and wrong ;)

mostly the cpu does limit this game because of the huge amount of npc ships and their tasks going BUT in this case its the graphics card.
you can test the "poly-problem" yourself (i did that):

empty a sector with cheats. create an enemy fleet with vanilla ships and watch ur framerate with them idling around. then empty the sector and create an non-vanilla fleet with high polyships and watch ur framerate.

i for myself had no lag etc with the empty sector.
spawned 15 argon titans, still no issues.
destroyed them and spawned 15 atlas and it lagged pretty hard to unplayable. would be 100% unplayable with a fight involved.
Ofc ***modified***, modders doing what Egosoft cant.

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Sun, 26. Feb 12, 16:45

deca.death wrote:
expnobody wrote: .......i think it should look alot better ingame..i am wondering should i sent this thing to paul at all regarding to poly issue, the last version is 250K poly, this is 260K (dont ask me why, ask egosoft why deca's model cost 13K poly each even after i strip all the antennas and other stuff off)
As I've heard from him, he's reluctant to put high poly models in game (I believe you've send him another one, some USC M0 or something, before) so I don't think sending him this would be a good idea.

We must consider high-poly problems; tc is basically terribly optimized game, I have i5 on 3.6Ghz and I still have performance issues on the game that's now.. how much, 6 yrs old? It's an real issue. You love making high poly monster ships. Maybe it would be a good idea to learn to use some of the mentioned tools who rectify those issues. Model which isn't used ingame somehow hasn't achieved it's true purpose.

Ship does look impressive, looks better in different angles we've seen it last time, and it's definitely one of your more original creations. It would be too bad to go to waste. In meantime, you could make or send more of youm smaller ships. What about that awesome xenon M8? I hope that's sent already.
Xenon M8 is sent long ago..
XSI you guys were talking about, is it this one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Softimage_XSI

the problem with optimization tool in 3dsmax is it will screw up all the textures because it merges border/vertex/faces...
summer time..

Requiemfang
x4

Post by Requiemfang » Mon, 27. Feb 12, 03:50

Yes that program there's a free version you can download, it's pretty much freeware. Well that's the only way to actually reduce the amount of polygons in a model is to take out vertex's/lines and extra faces. This is why merging models isn't used much unless you know how to texture and re-texture the ship in question.

I am no expert in modeling and texturing... I can't texture myself but I know texturing is the more frustrating and time consuming part of making models. I can't texture because I have yet to learn to do it. If you are willing to learn to texture then I suggest starting with that. Other Option of course is finding someone willing and good enough to texture the ships for you.

So pretty much... merge ships together to make new ship, optimize the model's polys so they aren't so high and then reapply the textures to make it fit. This is run into by people all the time with modeling or changing the size of a model. If you make a model bigger or smaller you'll have to reapply the texture again.

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Mon, 27. Feb 12, 09:07

well in regards to poly count and taking into account the specs of my system in my sig, i get a slight pause when some of expo's cap ships jump into a sector and quickly get slowdown with large numbers of ships. I cant imagine what it is like for people with lower end systems, i think that is who paul is looking out for with xrm.

Hermisky
x3ap

Post by Hermisky » Mon, 27. Feb 12, 15:09

the ship USC_M2P_for_XRMv2 looks wonderful!!!

but how can i put it into the game?

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Mon, 27. Feb 12, 18:34

Hermisky wrote:the ship USC_M2P_for_XRMv2 looks wonderful!!!

easiest way would be to extract the relevent files from xrm as paul who makes xrm does all the cleanup and scene files for expo's ships.

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Mon, 27. Feb 12, 23:14

dougeye wrote:

easiest way would be to extract the relevent files from xrm as paul who makes xrm does all the cleanup and scene files for expo's ships.
Easiest way is install XRM......

dougeye
x3tc

Post by dougeye » Mon, 27. Feb 12, 23:42

Sn4kemaster wrote:
dougeye wrote:

Easiest way is install XRM......
+1!

Hermisky
x3ap

Post by Hermisky » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 11:30

thanks guys, :lol:

downloading xrm now~

Sn4kemaster
x4

Post by Sn4kemaster » Tue, 28. Feb 12, 12:42

Hermisky wrote:thanks guys, :lol:

downloading xrm now~
Another brother enter's the XRM fold, my work here is complete :P

Bloody_Kain
x4

Post by Bloody_Kain » Mon, 12. Mar 12, 19:59

Pretty silent here since Feb. 28...
Is the Project on hold?

Mad_CatMk2
x4

Post by Mad_CatMk2 » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 04:06

Bloody_Kain wrote:Pretty silent here since Feb. 28...
Is the Project on hold?
expnobody is a student, I think he's having some ridiculous amount of finals work + essays + sexy-women-given-to-him-by-his-ship-lovers (ok the last one was :lol: hehe).
I fly an OWP. What about you?

expnobody

Post by expnobody » Tue, 13. Mar 12, 23:56

nah, i am currently focusing on modding another game, it's called Starshatter: The Gathering Storm..and also playing galgames..so..

Brahemino
x4

Post by Brahemino » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 10:56

Please release some of your fabolous USC ships!
Last edited by Brahemino on Mon, 19. Mar 12, 17:25, edited 1 time in total.
www.calciopeglio.netsons.org
Un paese e la sua realtà calcisitca.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Wed, 14. Mar 12, 12:02

expnobody wrote:nah, i am currently focusing on modding another game, it's called Starshatter: The Gathering Storm..and also playing galgames..so..
Will you go back to X3 ship making anytime soon? We still don't have Otas M8 ;) Cheers!
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”