[MOD][AP] Advanced Weapons Research Mod (AWRM) [v1.4 - Sa-15-Jun-2013]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Killa17
x4

Post by Killa17 » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 05:23

Alright I'll dig around for 'em. And I wasn't complaining, I love that the Commonwealth has some upgraded weaponry. After you get some fighter skill, dogfights become somewhat boring. Knowing I might get my a-- blasted off now brought the thrill of flying M3s back for me, so thanks for that!

I will admit, Adv.M/AML's on the Cadius Longbow Mk.2 almost feels like cheating, lol.

EDIT: After hours of searching, I believe I have hacked together a functional MARS config using the old values. Currently testing on latest releases of both AWRM and MARS, if I find no problems, I could post it if others are interested.
XenTech Industries: Currently engaged in corporate warfare with The Phanon Corporation.
-----------------------------------------------------------
[ external image ]

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 30. Jul 12, 07:21

Killa17 wrote:I wasn't complaining, I love that the Commonwealth has some upgraded weaponry. After you get some fighter skill, dogfights become somewhat boring. Knowing I might get my a-- blasted off now brought the thrill of flying M3s back for me, so thanks for that!
Kewl :D I was not taking your comment as complaining, I was just providing info for other readers of this thread ;)
Killa17 wrote:I will admit, Adv.M/AML's on the Cadius Longbow Mk.2 almost feels like cheating, lol.
Yeah, with this mod the Mk2 feels a bit like the Springblossom of the Terran M7 world. :twisted:
Killa17 wrote:I believe I have hacked together a functional MARS config using the old values. Currently testing on latest releases of both AWRM and MARS, if I find no problems, I could post it if others are interested.
Kewl, I don't use MARS myself but I know a few people will appreciate it :D At some point, I will have to find time to complete my updates to my Changeling tool so that it can be used to auto-generate MARS config files for AP.
Lenna (aka [SRK] The_Rabbit)

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

"When eating an elephant take one bite at a time" - Creighton Abrams

dracotonisamond
x4

Post by dracotonisamond » Mon, 24. Sep 12, 20:44

would there be any known reasons all kyon emitters stop working after installing this mod?

they draw energy, but dont do any damage/have no beam.
even the ones from the mod.

everything else works fine as far as i can tell, just kha'ak weaponry is borked.

never mind i fixed it. i used X-Universe plugin manager instead of installing it right. didnt notice it wasnt correctly placing some of the stuff in the base TC folder.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 15. Oct 12, 13:25

Sorry for the delay in response. Yes, using Plug-in Manger to install... It does not currently work correctly with this mod.

As has been said many times already in this thread and why SPK form is not available for the AP edition of this mod.

You need to copy/extract the ZIP file contents directly to the root folder of the installation location (i.e. NOT the addin folder which Plugin Manager insists on using).

"Understanding is a three edged sword... your side, their side... and the Truth!" - J.J. Sheriden, Babylon 5 S4E6 T28:55

"May god stand between you and harm in all the dark places you must walk." - Ancient Egyption Proverb

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Fri, 26. Oct 12, 02:37

Hm, I think i screwed up the installation: My game crashes when certain terran ships tries to fire on me and the missiles 'vanguard xxx' are literally crates.

I used the .zip and extracted to the addons folder.

I am running Improved races 2.0, X-tra ship pack, board stations

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Fri, 26. Oct 12, 03:42

Nevermind, figured it out.

I apparently dl'd the TC version of the mod for my AP game.

Could you add a description to the download site just to be sure that no one else makes this mistake again?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Fri, 26. Oct 12, 08:36

kolimbo wrote:Nevermind, figured it out.

I apparently dl'd the TC version of the mod for my AP game.

Could you add a description to the download site just to be sure that no one else makes this mistake again?
If you use the direct download link from this thread then it is obvious which version you have :roll:

If you are getting a mash of text rather than the IMG for the download button then you need to ensure that "Images in Posts" is ticked in your profile or click the first hyper-linked section of text.

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Sat, 27. Oct 12, 02:23

Yeah, I just clicked on the first AWRM.zip i saw. Didn't scroll down to see the AWRMAP.zip.

I screwed around with the weapons you put into the game and it seems like everything has essentially become giant glass cannons: Even with 12 GJ of shields, M2s would go down in less than a minute. A M7 outfitted with the most advanced beam cannons can shred capital ships. On the flip side, a capital ship fielding one of those crazy 8km range PSGs (wave generators? Terran weapon) can kill any ship in the game (even if they turn around as soon as they see the waves been generated... EVEN if it's a Longsword Mk2 overtuned to be able to do 600m/s at max speed.).

I really like the fact that many weapons are now more accessible than ever... however, the 'advanced' and 'enhanced' versions of these guns is just a bit too much.

my 2 pc.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sat, 27. Oct 12, 12:06

I appreciate the feedback, but the enh/adv weapons are staying in. AWRM will not appeal to everyone, and it is not intended to. You should find that the universe is considerably more dangerous with AWRM installed which is offset for the player by the inclusion of the CPLS and PMTS scripts (see OP for links to describe them).

If you are after long-drawn-out one-on-one battles then AWRM is probably not for you.

Rebalance is a factor that needs to be addressed carefully for the AP version. In the TC version, most people seemed to be happy with the balance once they actually spent a considerable amount of time in-game (rather than just a quick poke around - possibly using cheat scripts).

The balance adjustments at this point are supposed to be the cost, energy cost, and cargo space required. On the whole the balance for the AP version is as per the TC version but adjusted according to egosoft's changes to vanilla base weapons.

The only major change in balance between AP and TC is the Vanilla beam weapons, which are now anti-capital class. At the time of initial port I tried to get some feedback on the main-stream PALC/PBC/TBC/FBC beam weapons but got silence.

From the sounds of things, the cost of the beam weapons is too low which is something I suspected would be the case.

kolimbo
x4

Post by kolimbo » Sat, 27. Oct 12, 17:59

Nah, not with cheat. I just played with what I had.

I don't know what CPLS or PMTS does to shields, I haven't played with them yet. But the speed of combat has made speed and cornering(and possibly profile, but there are too many rapid fire weapons for that to even matter) the only relevant assets to a ship.

For example, I had an I, a Daedalus and a M7 going up against a Akuma.

Each of these ships have a varying degree of armaments. The I had 10x PPC/GC in front and 8x PPC on each side(as many advanced version as it will fit.), the Daedalus had 10x AGC in front, the M7 had fusion beam cannons.

In the first two cases, the two destroyers were able to kill the Akuma but both sustained heavy damage.

The M7 took out the Akuma without taking a single hit. (because it was able to dodge it's GCs/move fast enough to get out of it's range)

In the vanilla game, both destroyers _should_ have been able to take out the Akuma without losing their shields as they both out-gun it by about 60%.(In fact, the I should have been able to take on TWO Akumas at the same time without breaking a sweat) The M7 would have been able to kill the akuma, but it's lack of long range capital weapons would have made it difficult to do so without getting hit.

The funny thing was that the bulk of the damage recieved by the destroyers were taken AFTER the Akuma died: ie. In the 2-3 seconds between me firing my main cannons and the Akuma dying, it's own return fire has managed to rip out a good 10-20% of my Shields and a large chunk of hull after.

I think this is a little problematic.

I like the updated PSPs and the PPCs, but I think the gatling GC is much too powerful a weapon- fast firing, speedy projectiles and tremendously damaging. Similar problem exist for the wave generator and certain light speed weapons: Combat between destroyers now feels like a kamikaze duel.

I'm not sure if this is the kind of feel that you want when you balanced the mod but it has essentially made M2s and heavy M7s obsolete for my fleet.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 29. Oct 12, 04:56

Well the GC is barely changed damage wise, the Enh/Adv variants should basically just fire faster and be more energy hungry.

IMO It sounds like in capital on capital fights you need to be using alternate tactics. As one of my aunts says "there are more ways to kill a cat than choking it with cream". For AI control, you *may* be right but remember that for player control you do have straff (it is a shame the AI can not make use of straff).

PMTS allows you to redirect energy from weapons to shields and visa-versa. CPLS allows a carrier to reinforce its weapon or shield regen by using the shield generators on docked ships. The AI does not know about either of these (currently) so it allows player controlled/owned ships to gain an edge. Please be sure to read the in-game documentation for these upgrades. They do not appear as regular upgrades, and can only be installed by speaking to the right people at either the Spirit Industries HQ or the JCRA HQ. There is a command console for each of the upgrades accessable from the Additional Commands section and by keyboard short-cut (if you configure it).

PMTS is quite cheap to get going with, where as CPLS requires a bigger investment. A CPLS equipped player carrier loaded up with the right ships can be a force to be reconed with. A PMTS equipped destroyer can be harder to kill, and fighters can benefit from PMTS as well (player can set and forget it for fleets - once you have worked out the right balance).

PMTS/CPLS aside, there are the Enh/Adv missiles as well for Commonwealth and the Sentinel/Vanguard series for the Terrans (but the AI can and will use these missiles too though).

In general, capital on capital battles should be more tactical and if you enter a brawl you should expect a bloody nose. Fighter on capital battles should be a bit more interesting, you make a mistake and the capital ship will probably nail you to the wall (probably true in vanilla but even more so with AWRM).

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Tue, 15. Jan 13, 17:26

Does someone have a merged 7047 for the latest MARS iteration lying around I could get me?

Thanks.

ApatheticEthic
x3tc

Post by ApatheticEthic » Wed, 6. Mar 13, 02:13

Is this mod still active? The download links don't seem to work.

Edit: Nevermind. For some odd reason, I needed to turn browser cookies off.

Ocede

Post by Ocede » Sat, 9. Mar 13, 21:28

Does anyone have an updated MARS config file for this mod?

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Mon, 1. Apr 13, 05:25

Hi Guys,

No this is not an April fool :P

I am starting to get back into my modding for X3, and to start with I am looking at AWRM game starts and script/mod compatibility issues.

My work on Changeling has been on hold for quite a while and I am not sure when I will get a chance to spend significant time on it. Since the weapon list is likely to continue to be static for a while, distribution of a MARS file config file as standard is on the cards. Depending on personal time available, if anyone already has a MARS file for the current release then a copy of it would be appreciated. ;)

For those of you of who celebrate it, I hope you had and/or are having a good easter :)

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Tue, 2. Apr 13, 20:25

Status Update
Formal Release of V1.2 for Albion Prelude V2.5 (and later).

Changes include:-
  1. Satellites added for sale at Spirit Industries and JCRA
  2. Added Recon Drones and Jump Beacons to JCRA
  3. Added Enh/Adv EWG to Spirit Industries
Also added Xtra compatible version of the Capital Beam Laser Upgrade optional addon and added a version of the AP Starts with Capital Beam Lasers on appropriate starting ships.

Terran Captain Start updated as follows:-
  • Starting Kyoto overtuned by 30 Rudder/Engine from the start
  • 3 Vidar M6 with 10 Adv. PPBC and 4 Adv. ANC
  • 1 Mani TP+ with 6 CPBC and 6 EPBC
  • 1 Hayabusa TS+ with 5 Enh. ANC
  • 1 Toukon TM with 4 Enh. ANC
  • No M3/M4/M5 at start
Commonwealth Captain Start updated as follows:-
  • Starting Megalodon overtuned by 30 Rudder/Engine from the start

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Sun, 7. Apr 13, 01:31

Status Update
Proposed changes for V1.3 for Albion Prelude V2.5 (and later).

Changes include:-
  1. Adding a Commonwealth point defence beam laser
Current proposed implementation of the new laser is a PAC mount 2km range 600rpm insta-hit beam laser possibly with an HEPT mount 3km range 300rpm variant. DPS will be comparable to PBC (probably half damage).

Lore will be along the lines of reverse engineered Kha'ak technology with standard Kha'ak weapons/missiles being also put on sale from JCRA HQ.

What do you guys think?

[EDIT]Initial concept born out of personal revelations as a consequence of this thread.[/EDIT]

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Wed, 10. Apr 13, 12:33

Can you provide a list for MARS integration?

That would be awesome.

Sam L.R. Griffiths
x4

Post by Sam L.R. Griffiths » Wed, 10. Apr 13, 13:11

Feloidea wrote:Can you provide a list for MARS integration?

That would be awesome.
Huh?

Feloidea
x4

Post by Feloidea » Wed, 17. Apr 13, 18:34

Roger L.S. Griffiths wrote:
Feloidea wrote:Can you provide a list for MARS integration?

That would be awesome.
Huh?
You know, that 7049 file that governs MARS functions like weapon changing, targeting priorities and such. This mod of yours is practically a necessity for Terran players and being able to use it in tandem with MARS would be a great thing obviously.

It's just that I for one have no idea how to include all those weapons into the MARS 7049 file manually without making some sort of mistake.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”