[AL-PLUGIN] [TC] - Change Sector Size v2.1.5 - [Update 08.06.2014]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Thu, 25. Apr 13, 21:12

joelR wrote:Nicoman35,

I cant say for sure but I dont think gates are being moved properly. Forexample I changed sector sizes to 50% and the Terracorp HQ in home of light is just way too close to the east gate. Can you check on this? On the map it looks correct but in sector somethings not right. This is the case in quite a few sectors.

EDIT : Definitely something wrong. There is a big clump of asteroids at the gate in farnhams legend.

EDIT 2: I think I may know whats wrong. Does changing the sector size to 50% mean it will be half the size of the original? Or does it mean 50% bigger? I think that may be the issue...

EDIT 3: Nope no luck. Gates dont seem to move and farnhams legend still has asteroids on the gate.
Hm, wierd. Just checked it myself fiddling around with changing the sizes from 50% to 300%. Gates, stations, asteroids all move as they should move...
100% is vanilla size, anything below is smaller, above bigger.

Let's take Home of Light. I read this values from the sector map.
East Gate coordinates at
50%: 6.98km, -2.03km, -2.18km (half values)
100%: 13.7km, -4.06km, -4.37km (vanilla)
200%: 27.5km, -8.12km, -8.75km (double values)
300%: 41.3km, -12.1km, -13.1km (tripple values)

Everything else is moving accordingly, as least as far as I can estimate correctly. Too much work to check each coordinate.
Do you play TC or AP?

Could there be an interference with an other mod you have?

*sigh*, just stumbled across another bug, but that is related to stations built after resizing a sector...will look at the problem at the weekend. Anyway, it has nothing to do with your problem.

:idea: Could you please start a new game, jump to home of light and perform a few changes? And maybe check the coordinates with the list above?

joelR
x3tc

Post by joelR » Thu, 25. Apr 13, 22:11

Nicoman35 wrote:
joelR wrote:Nicoman35,

I cant say for sure but I dont think gates are being moved properly. Forexample I changed sector sizes to 50% and the Terracorp HQ in home of light is just way too close to the east gate. Can you check on this? On the map it looks correct but in sector somethings not right. This is the case in quite a few sectors.

EDIT : Definitely something wrong. There is a big clump of asteroids at the gate in farnhams legend.

EDIT 2: I think I may know whats wrong. Does changing the sector size to 50% mean it will be half the size of the original? Or does it mean 50% bigger? I think that may be the issue...

EDIT 3: Nope no luck. Gates dont seem to move and farnhams legend still has asteroids on the gate.
Hm, wierd. Just checked it myself fiddling around with changing the sizes from 50% to 300%. Gates, stations, asteroids all move as they should move...
100% is vanilla size, anything below is smaller, above bigger.

Let's take Home of Light. I read this values from the sector map.
East Gate coordinates at
50%: 6.98km, -2.03km, -2.18km (half values)
100%: 13.7km, -4.06km, -4.37km (vanilla)
200%: 27.5km, -8.12km, -8.75km (double values)
300%: 41.3km, -12.1km, -13.1km (tripple values)

Everything else is moving accordingly, as least as far as I can estimate correctly. Too much work to check each coordinate.
Do you play TC or AP?

Could there be an interference with an other mod you have?

*sigh*, just stumbled across another bug, but that is related to stations built after resizing a sector...will look at the problem at the weekend. Anyway, it has nothing to do with your problem.

:idea: Could you please start a new game, jump to home of light and perform a few changes? And maybe check the coordinates with the list above?
It has somehow been fixed. I set it to 200% and its working. No clue why it wasnt working before.

Xenyum556

Post by Xenyum556 » Sun, 5. May 13, 12:28

working on AP????

If so, i have to put the script, T and canevas.exe on the main folder or in the addon folder?

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Sun, 5. May 13, 19:02

Phew, I do not own AP, but the location of the Syncronize Canvas.exe does not matter. Can't tell anything about the other files. I suggest you just try and see, if it works. Feedback wellcome :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Sun, 5. May 13, 20:55

If so, i have to put the script, T and canevas.exe on the main folder or in the addon folder?
Script and t files for X3AP have to be installed into the respective scripts and t folder in the addon-directory.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

sdfg

Post by sdfg » Tue, 15. Oct 13, 20:18

The script works, and everything moves in the game fine.

The canvas editor, however, doesn't, which is a bit annoying :-(

You need to use the log in My Docs/Egosoft/X3AP for one, and you can extract the x3_universe.xml into addons/maps fine, but unless you pick the X3TC directory, it won't let you change the canvas. I tried to use that folder with all the other bits as described, but it didn't work - I think it's trying to use explicit files in X3TC folder, not addons.

Would be nice if the author could add canvas support for AP :-D

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Wed, 16. Oct 13, 16:32

sdfg wrote:The script works, and everything moves in the game fine.

The canvas editor, however, doesn't, which is a bit annoying :-(

You need to use the log in My Docs/Egosoft/X3AP for one, and you can extract the x3_universe.xml into addons/maps fine, but unless you pick the X3TC directory, it won't let you change the canvas. I tried to use that folder with all the other bits as described, but it didn't work - I think it's trying to use explicit files in X3TC folder, not addons.
You're right, atm, it is only working for X3TC. The reason is that I do not own AP. Also, I am not that experienced that I could write something woking "out of the head". A tedious and ungratefull task.
Maybe I will purchase AP one day, but this is not on the agenda in the near future. For the time being, someone with C# knowledge is welcome to make the canvas changer fit for AP. How about you? ;)

Gri431
x3tc

Post by Gri431 » Fri, 8. Nov 13, 23:47

Good Job :thumb_up: Very well

Nicoman35
x3tc

Post by Nicoman35 » Sun, 8. Jun 14, 20:19

Minor update :)

Bozz13
x3ap

Post by Bozz13 » Mon, 23. Feb 15, 21:55

thank you for a great mod ;)

dizzy
x4

Post by dizzy » Mon, 23. Feb 15, 23:36

I'm fascinated by the idea of creating a mod where all sectors (which would be brand new, created from scratch) are much larger than usually in X. I could use this tool to do some testing/get a feeling of how things are in larger sectors. Normally I would expect a completely different feeling for the game with much larger sectors, space should feel large and feeling lost in it should be normal/common.

Lots of things would have to be changed to make things run smooth, have a working NPC economy, etc. So I'm curious, what do people use _right now_ when they play with much larger sectors? I mean, how do you cover those distances in reasonable time, how do you get your traders and the NPC traders to work well, etc.
X3LU 1.5.2/1.7.0 Youtube series with: IEX 1.5b + LUVi, SIaF r7 (previously also used Phanon Plus 4.02, Revelation Plus 1.04, Diverse Game Starts - LU Edition)
[ external image ]

wanderer
x3tc

Post by wanderer » Thu, 15. Mar 18, 00:47

Even it's some years later... But there are still plenty of players like me, who like to explore and test some new scripts or older ones anew...

I always wonderd why some sector are even smaller then a middle sized city. While we have ships with hundreds of meters crossing Argon Prime in a minute - sensless... The Aldrin sector is still the only one that makes sense, big - as space should be.

Now, I tested this script (knowing the orgiginal ones from Striker304 as well) now with X3 AP XRM LoCO (Lost colony Expansion).
As mention earlier its only working with TC. Now here's the workaround that should work for ALL Mods/Scripts and even LU!

First install it into the game you'll play - meaning TC or AP or EMC4AP or LU.

Move the Canvas.exe into the MAIN TC folder! That's there where the X3*.exe's are.
Now get hold to the Maps XML files. You must extract them from the cat/dat files.
So, for my setup I have 3 - x3_universe.xml, LoCo_map.xml & AlEx_map.xml from Lost Colony Exp.
Copy those map files INTO the map folder in your TC root directory. (Maybe you'll need to create the folder.)
See that in the <tc root>\director AND <TC root>\addon\director (for AP) folders contains NO 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' files.

Then use the InGame Script start (through the PlugIn manager as described on page one here).
So, for AP Player start AP, EMAC4AP start AP, ...

Let the scripts do their work and then let it write the log03613.txt file.
Do a save.

Now comes the tricky part. Let the game run; Minimize the Game into Background.
Run the canvas.exe as described. Select the x3_universe.xml file first. After its done, you'll see a 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file now inside the <TC root>\director folder. This file contains the new sector sizes. Move it (!) to a separate folder elsewhere (eg. temp).
Now close the canvas.exe AND start it new! Delete the first used x3_universe.xml file. Rename the next map file to process as x3_universe.xml. Eg. in my case LoCo_map.xml.
Repeat the canvas.exe procedure again. Also, move it to the temp folder, but give it another name eg 'Change_sector_canvas_LoCo_map.xml
So do it with the third and maybe other map files.

When you have all maps processed, close the canvas.exe.

Now go to your Change_sector_canvas.xml files. Open the first one. Parallel open another beside. As you see, there are lines eg. '<alter_sector x="17" y="5" size="120km" />'
Those lines will change the sector canvas. So, to do it for your modded/chanceg X3 (AP/XRM/LU/EMAC4AP), combine all these lines into ONE 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file.

Copy this new 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file into the director folder of the game installation you'll play, eg. <tc root>\director if playing TC. <tc root>\addon\director if playing AP, or EMAC4AP etc. ...

Get back to the minimized X3 and reload ypur game. Now the 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file will be run through te X3 director, and should change the canvas sizes of your sectors. If you'll still have some sectors wihtouth the correct canvas, you missed a map file. In this case, you'll have to dig into the mod's cat/dat structure to locate them. Extract them and proceed as described above.

With this trick you'll able now to resize the complete universe AND the sector canvases in your game!

Some advice regarding bigger sectors.
I am using 300% for resize - so - Space IS NOW REAL BIG!
Well, they are an tactical nightmare. So, to say, stations are now all over the sector. Also, when starting a new game, its hard to find all stations. Same goes for ships (the free ones, or mission ones).
You shoud combine stations/complexes in some area. Use Jumpbeacons (now they make real sense).
Same for mines/asteroids/gates - well there's always a tractor beam, whitch can be usefull...
Use patrol POINTS not the whole sector! Most patrol scripts allow to set points and ranges (eg SRD). Jump INSIDE a sector - set jumpdistance to zero.
Mines and Minefileds are your friends.
Speed is your friend...
Have passion while playing - traders now need more travel time. - Uni Traders are now loooog way's away.... - use faster ships or other scripts (eg. Lucike's trade scrips in combination with navigators.)
Sat's are your friends - and you'll need a lot of them.

I summary, it lead to a whole new playing style - more tactical and stratecic planning is needed. No fast-and-fury playing, fleets and convois makes sense, also guard ships for trades, ...and so on...

spookysmoke

Re:

Post by spookysmoke » Sun, 7. Oct 18, 20:59

wanderer wrote:
Thu, 15. Mar 18, 00:47

comes the tricky part. Let the game run; Minimize the Game into Background.
Run the canvas.exe as described. Select the x3_universe.xml file first. After its done, you'll see a 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file now inside the <TC root>\director folder. This file contains the new sector sizes. Move it (!) to a separate folder elsewhere (eg. temp).
Now close the canvas.exe AND start it new! Delete the first used x3_universe.xml file. Rename the next map file to process as x3_universe.xml. Eg. in my case LoCo_map.xml.
Repeat the canvas.exe procedure again. Also, move it to the temp folder, but give it another name eg 'Change_sector_canvas_LoCo_map.xml
So do it with the third and maybe other map files.

When you have all maps processed, close the canvas.exe.

Now go to your Change_sector_canvas.xml files. Open the first one. Parallel open another beside. As you see, there are lines eg. '<alter_sector x="17" y="5" size="120km" />'
Those lines will change the sector canvas. So, to do it for your modded/chanceg X3 (AP/XRM/LU/EMAC4AP), combine all these lines into ONE 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file.

Copy this new 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file into the director folder of the game installation you'll play, eg. <tc root>\director if playing TC. <tc root>\addon\director if playing AP, or EMAC4AP etc. ...

Get back to the minimized X3 and reload ypur game. Now the 'Change_sector_canvas.xml' file will be run through te X3 director, and should change the canvas sizes of your sectors. If you'll still have some sectors wihtouth the correct canvas, you missed a map file. In this case, you'll have to dig into the mod's cat/dat structure to locate them. Extract them and proceed as described above.

I summary, it lead to a whole new playing style - more tactical and stratecic planning is needed. No fast-and-fury playing, fleets and convois makes sense, also guard ships for trades, ...and so on...
Im using just XRM for AP and after folowing these steps, the sector maps are unchanged, i have the log files and everything set correctly and ingame stations are moved but the canvas sizes remain unchanged

sidd
x3ap

Re: [AL-PLUGIN] [TC] - Change Sector Size v2.1.5 - [Update 08.06.2014]

Post by sidd » Wed, 24. Oct 18, 12:06

This is really interesting, I tried with AP and it seems everything is fine except the the sector maps are unchanged but if you keep size to 200% I think all or almost all stations are visible zooming out the map.

I just wonder if it might be some bad consequences on economy or anything else with larger sectors, probably a slower economy or even totally broken after a while?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”