AP - Is there a Mod for Removing the Stock Market?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Paingod
x2

AP - Is there a Mod for Removing the Stock Market?

Post by Paingod » Mon, 10. Jun 13, 20:40

Is there a mod or method for removing this?

I recently updated from Reunion to TC/AP and discovered the Stock Market without knowing much of anything about it. I paid my 10,000cr to poke my head in and spent the next few minutes figuring it out.

I worked for hours to build a tiny fleet of capped ships and scrape together 800,000cr in order to start looking at financing a Universal Trader... and in 10 minutes of playing with the Exchange, I had 8,000,000cr and felt absolutely no pride in my cash acquisition.

So, to me, the Stock Market is basically game-endorsed cheat codes. It's like printing money with no risk... and I find the "lure" of having these cheat codes right in front of me daunting. Why slave over building a massive complex to produce goods when I can simply fire up the printing press and churn out cash while I explore in an M5?

So ... I'd like to keep everything else about AP, but remove the Stock Market completely - or find some way to build a set of mods that turns TC into AP without the Stock Market.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Vayde
x3tc

Post by Vayde » Mon, 10. Jun 13, 21:01

Not sure if the stock markets are invincible stations, I just use them as extra trading stations and never use them for what they were designed for.

However you have given me an idea to use them as target practice in my current Terran game :twisted:
Still life in the old dog yet...

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Mon, 10. Jun 13, 22:50

The stock market is mostly realised via scripts, so it should be pretty easy to disable it without too much effort. There should be two or three menu building scripts for the stock market. Adding a 'return null' to the top of these scripts would probably be the easiest solution to disable the stock market without much extra hassle. I don't have X3AP here, so I don't know, how the exact names of these scripts are. But they have actually relative clear names and description. Simply open the Script Editor and scroll down to the scripts starting with plugin.st.ex (those are the stock exchange scripts). If you have found the respective scripts, open them and add

Code: Select all

return null
to the very first line. Save them afterwards. The script will be saved as .xml file in your scripts folder, so you will have to delete or rename the original .pck script. When you have done so, reload your game.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Deeparth
x4

Post by Deeparth » Mon, 10. Jun 13, 22:54

Just don't use the stock market. Simple. The feature isn't a necessity.

RoverTX
x4

Post by RoverTX » Tue, 11. Jun 13, 02:16

I don't understand the hate towards the stock market, as long as you don't exploite niv combat missions are faster cash...

Paingod
x2

Post by Paingod » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 19:45

I suppose my problem is that even without trying to exploit it, it's exploitable. I use SETA heavily for travel through systems and while catching up to foes. It doesn't take long at all for stocks to shift and a windfall to appear simply by playing other aspects of the game.

I could easily (accidentally) get to the top-end of the "Trade" ranks by playing with Stocks while I explored the universe without ever pulling the trigger once or running any kind of risk. Once the universe is mapped out, I could "start" playing with 100,000,000cr in the bank.

My ultimate issue is that it makes the initial struggle of getting established a cakewalk, which in turn devalues all following accomplishments made with the printing-press money.

I found myself starting to act indifferently to losing components or even the thought of losing ships early on. I didn't have any pride in my budding empire because it was built on free money that I didn't really earn. That which is given has no value really rings true with the Stock Market.

I did just start over and am simply avoiding visiting it. I'd still prefer an X3 where the Stock Market didn't exist and hope it gets removed in Rebirth. There's no need for free money in game where the challenge is in building your empire.
Last edited by Paingod on Wed, 12. Jun 13, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Jack08
x3tc

Post by Jack08 » Wed, 12. Jun 13, 19:52

one for sure way to get rid of it would be to delete it. Most of it resides within the script engine, so if you go into your addon/scripts folder and put this in your search bar: "*st.ex*.pck" (without the ") and delete every file that comes up, it will stop functioning.

I dont truly know what the results will be. Its a rather messy hack tbh. But if you want it gone you can do it.
[ external image ]
"One sure mark of a fool is to dismiss anything that falls outside his experience as being impossible."
―Farengar Secret-Fire

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 06:32

Is there a Mod for Removing the Stock Market?

There is now:

Occupy Wall Street (and Stop the Stock Exchange)

Taro8
x3tc

Post by Taro8 » Thu, 13. Jun 13, 15:48

Frankly I have a bit different view on stock exchange. It did not help me at all to rise money for my first station or stuff like that. To be honest I still lost money and the gains weren't all that much.

I think that the problem with stock market is that it shows you the index with makes investing a cakewalk. Just buy at 100% and wait for inevitable drop to earn cash.

I think that stock exchange would stop being so exploitable if there was a mod that would remove the display of the index. Just that change would change rules quite a bit.

tundras111
x3fl

Re: AP - Is there a Mod for Removing the Stock Market?

Post by tundras111 » Wed, 27. Mar 24, 09:09

Paingod wrote:
Mon, 10. Jun 13, 20:40
Is there a mod or method for removing this?

I recently updated from Reunion to TC/AP and discovered the Stock Market without knowing much of anything about it. I paid my 10,000cr to poke my head in and spent the next few minutes figuring it out.

I worked for hours to build a tiny fleet of capped ships and scrape together 800,000cr in order to start looking at financing a Universal Trader... and in 10 minutes of playing with the Exchange, I had 8,000,000cr and felt absolutely no pride in my cash acquisition.

So, to me, the Stock Market is basically game-endorsed cheat codes. It's like printing money with no risk... and I find the "lure" of having these cheat codes right in front of me daunting. Why slave over building a massive complex to produce goods when I can simply fire up the printing press and churn out cash while I explore in an M5?

So ... I'd like to keep everything else about AP, but remove the Stock Market completely - or find some way to build a set of mods that turns TC into AP without the Stock Market.

Is there any way to accomplish this?
Lo unico que debes hacer es no jugar con la bolsa de valores y punto!

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Re: AP - Is there a Mod for Removing the Stock Market?

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Wed, 27. Mar 24, 10:14

We don't dredge up 11 years-old discussion topics in this forum.

**topic locked**

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”