[X3LU] Mayhem 3.21b

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

amadeok
x3ap

Re: [X3LU] Mayhem 2.7.8

Post by amadeok » Sat, 3. Nov 18, 21:39

Hi,
I think i have to report a bug. The game freezes when i use the Supply refuel command. I had the same problem before with vanilla litcube, and the changelog stated that it was fixed.
This savegame i uploaded does not freeze, because i didn't give command to the Supply ship. There is only one ship that has the supply command software and it's UT 004 Caiman Adv
https://drive.google.com/file/d/11K41_r ... sp=sharing
Btw its a great mod, i hope that x4 is like this.

amadeok
x3ap

Post by amadeok » Tue, 6. Nov 18, 03:49

Hi,
After playing for a while the framerate goes from around 50 to around 20. If i reload the savegame it goes back to 50, but after a while it goes back again to 20. Anyone had this problem?
This the save: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1lInwxx ... sp=sharing
I'm using only MLCC TM Compatibility and ADS - Joubarbian Edition, that i extracted into the main installation folder. Is this correct or should extract them to the addon folder?
Anyone please?
Is there any way i can see what scripts are running in real time to try to troubleshoot it?

Fureimuu
x3ap

Post by Fureimuu » Tue, 6. Nov 18, 12:09

Does it happen everywhere or in a certain sector(s)?

lighters
x4

Post by lighters » Tue, 6. Nov 18, 12:35

Does Mayhem change turn rate of the ships? In LU average turn rate of M2s is 0.3-0.4 rpm which is already very low, but now in Mayhem I see 0.2 and even 0.1 sometimes which just doesn't make any sense - they can cross an entire sector for the same time they can turn around on the spot. It also messes up the AI which uses full forward when attacking and thus sends the ship into a 50 km loop to just turn around.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Tue, 6. Nov 18, 21:57

lighters wrote:
Tue, 6. Nov 18, 12:35
Does Mayhem change turn rate of the ships? In LU average turn rate of M2s is 0.3-0.4 rpm which is already very low, but now in Mayhem I see 0.2 and even 0.1 sometimes which just doesn't make any sense - they can cross an entire sector for the same time they can turn around on the spot. It also messes up the AI which uses full forward when attacking and thus sends the ship into a 50 km loop to just turn around.
Yes, mayhem has some changes to ship parameters. Also, if i remember correctly Mayhem changes the way capital ships engage, so they do not go full forward but try to circle the enemy shooting with their side turrets (if they do not have main weapons)

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 7. Nov 18, 13:13

lighters wrote:
Tue, 6. Nov 18, 12:35
Actually, not really: yaw, pitch and roll RPM is pretty much the same for M2s in Mayhem and Litcube (just quickly checked comparing the two tships files). Even in Litcube's a 0.3 RPM turn rate is a HIGH turn rate given only to light and "nimble" M2s like the OTAS Boreas. Normal M2s usually are around 0.2 (like the Titan or Atlas, to remain in Argon territory), while M2P (like the Excalibur) usually are 0.1. There might end up being a slight difference in the actual game, when compared to LU, because in Mayhem you don't have speed/turn extensions to buy (except for just 1 speed extension through perks), but it doesn't make much of a difference tbh.

And, btw, that's pretty much a necessity given the weapon rebalance done by Litcube: the decreased fire rate mixed with the much shorter fire sustainability of every weapon NEEDS less agile big ships, capital ship weapons can be as slow as firing 2 salvos per minute, more agile M2s could make cap ship battles close to impossible to resolve IS.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 7. Nov 18, 15:43

While I'm here, double post - pardon me - since it's a whole other topic: Joubarbe, while playing and messing a bit with my files to rebalance a couple things to my tastes, I noticed an issue with the Cluster Flaks. I believe it probably was already in LU, but since Mayhem also comes with its own graphics package now, you might be interested in looking into it.

Basically, I found that a good chunk of Cluster Flaks firing together (as it often happens if you fly an Argon M2, as they are among the best weapons for defense against fighters and even medium sized threats) easily halve my FPS, from stable 60s to low 30s. This doesn't come from the actual "fragments" but from the lens flare effect: I just switched it in the effects.txt to the similar (but white) lens flare effect of the terran equivalent artillery (thus, using the lens flare from effect 304 in the effect 310, IIRC), and I'm good to go again. Teladi normal flak artillery works fine as well, not even the slightest FPS drop.

I have a quite decent GTX 1060 6GB, so it really shouldn't be a GPU bottleneck. Initially I guessed it had to be a CPU bottleneck for the hit detection of cluster flaks, but if just changing the lens flare effect solves it, maybe the effect itself is badly optimized? Mine was just a quick and dirty edit to make the game better playable, but for visual variety's sake I suppose a good approach could be copying the actual lens flare graphics of either the normal flak or the starbust shockwave cannon, and change its color back to the reddish one the Cluster Flaks normally have. Still not going to be exactly the same as it was, but better than nothing I guess.

Fureimuu
x3ap

Post by Fureimuu » Wed, 7. Nov 18, 17:57

This game doesn't know what gpu bottleneck is. The engine is too old to properly utilize your videocard.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Wed, 7. Nov 18, 18:43

Fureimuu wrote:
Wed, 7. Nov 18, 17:57
This game doesn't know what gpu bottleneck is. The engine is too old to properly utilize your videocard.
That's a different matter. The greatest perfomance issue and as such bottleneck with the game - because of its old engine - is CPU, as it's a single threaded application (with LOTS of CPU calculations going on with thousands of ships, entities and scripts running). That's why Litcube rebalanced the weapons so that there are much fewer projectiles in space at any one time: because each projectile calls for CPU calculations (especially on hit): the actual video load of more projectiles has always been in comparison fairly negligible in X3.
When it comes to two lens flare effects that should pretty much be the same kind of asset except for color and a slight linear glow, and one of the two halves your FPS while the other causes no loss whatsoever, then the issue does not come from the engine being old per se (which it is, often overloading the CPU when GPU could indeed be used more and better), it likely is the specific asset.

Ragemaster9999
x4

Post by Ragemaster9999 » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 04:04

I cant figure out how to get a transporter or salvage insurance. I need a transporter device to arm my orbital weapons platform before the first wave arrives, can anyone give me some advice.

KingSloth
x4

Post by KingSloth » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 04:32

Ragemaster9999 wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 04:04
I cant figure out how to get a transporter or salvage insurance. I need a transporter device to arm my orbital weapons platform before the first wave arrives, can anyone give me some advice.
Jonferco Headquarters in the Belt of Aguilar has a transporter device for sale. I've found Insurance around Terran space.

Fureimuu
x3ap

Post by Fureimuu » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 10:08

My fps is already shite, it can't get any worse :D

lighters
x4

Post by lighters » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 15:06

Transporter device is sold by most if not all corporate HQs.

Salvage insurance is sold, for example, at Terracorp HQ in Home of Light.

Ragemaster9999
x4

Post by Ragemaster9999 » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:57

Thank you everyone. I have found the transporter device and equipped my naked orbital weapons platform with a 2G shield. Now trying to figure out how to best outfit this badboy. Any suggestions? So many laser options!

Fureimuu
x3ap

Post by Fureimuu » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 19:06

What size is the platform? I don't use small and medium ones, but here is my LOWP loadout:

Front - any capital weapon, I usually go for either Ion Cannons or Gauss Cannons;
Back - AA guns, FAA or CFA will do;
Right 1, Left 1 - light capital weapon, Gauss Cannons are best imo;
Right 2, Left 2 - AA guns, FAA or CFA.

Front, Right 1 and Left 1 are set to Attack Capitals, the rest is either Protect Ship or Attack Enemies.

Medium platforms are good enough for Tri-Beam Cannons or PALCs. Last time I had no time producing those, so I went for 32 CIGs and it did okay. Make sure to give it max shields though and a few guns. It should be enough.
Last edited by Fureimuu on Sat, 10. Nov 18, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Sat, 10. Nov 18, 08:42

Ragemaster9999 wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 18:57
Thank you everyone. I have found the transporter device and equipped my naked orbital weapons platform with a 2G shield. Now trying to figure out how to best outfit this badboy. Any suggestions? So many laser options!
Much depends on if you plan to use them IS or OOS. As I like to take directly part in battles, I strongly prefer an heavier anti-fighter loadout: Thus, compared to the setup suggested by Fureimuu before me, I put anticapitals on front, left1 and right1, while flaks go back, left2 and right2. This way the platform has good defensive coverage all around while still having a decent anticap potential (it's 24/24 anticap/flaks on a large platform), which can make the difference IS, where a couple M6s in a platform's blind spot could wreak havok. OOS ships' agility and size is pretty much not a factor, so an heavier anti-cap loadout would be preferable.
Same goes for the actual weapons: PPCs and similar weapons are a bit better OOS, while IS gauss cannons hit a lot more thanks to their fast bullet speed (although with a very small hitbox, so don't think they can really hit anything smaller than an M6 consistently) and as such at the end of the day they tend to accumulate more dps. Personally I don't use gauss cannons for the simple fact I don't like their effect much, PPCs feel more "imposing" to me, and style trumps efficiency in my empire :P

Ikaruga
x4

Post by Ikaruga » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 08:57

Hi, what is the best way to get nividium in this mod ? Mining ships ? Buying from Mining Corps ? Is there a faster way ?
Spoiler
Show
I'm at the quest where I need to gather 25 000 Nividium and I'd like to finish it before I die of old age.
Also, is there a way to copy the Logistics settings from one Sanctuary to another ?

Finally, what kind of fleet do you have before starting a war with a faction and what is the best way to clear a sector from enemy stations ?
If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough

Fureimuu
x3ap

Post by Fureimuu » Mon, 12. Nov 18, 14:17

About nividium - have a mining fleet. I doubt there is any left a few days into the game for sale. I have seen some nividium asteroids, not sure what you can do with them, maybe its possible to destroy them and order your ships to mine those fragments exclusively.
About fleet size - being "at war" doesn't really mean anything. If you don't have chaotic expansion enabled or have a sector adjacent to your foes space you don't have to worry about invasions. I declared perma war against Argon very early, day 1. I also have my home sector near Yaki space, and their invasions never been a problem for me. My fighting rank is 30 (X-treme), threat is around 15, battle groups average around 2-3 M0s, 2-3 M2s and a couple of M7s. 2-3 M2s and a LOWP should be enough to deal with any invasion, just keep them together and never fight others OOS (OOS is broken, an Ocelot can easily die to some badly outfitted Atlas).
About sector clean up - destroy a single station, it will trigger defending battle group to jump in. Take care of them (IS, it's important; OOS you are doomed to lose everything), and then jump out. Order your ships to attack all enemies, they will prioritize hostile stations. Stations are destroyed much faster OOS than IS, but keep an eye on reinforcements. Every time you destroy a station there will be some fleet jumping in, until they run out of idling fleets (if some fleet is invading some sector they won't come back to protect the sector, you can also buy shipyard info to see what fleets are available for defense).

P.S.: IS - in sector, meaning you are present in the sector; OOS - out of sector, meaning you are in a different sector.

Kadatherion
x4

Post by Kadatherion » Tue, 20. Nov 18, 20:21

Fureimuu wrote:
Mon, 12. Nov 18, 14:17
About nividium - have a mining fleet. I doubt there is any left a few days into the game for sale. I have seen some nividium asteroids, not sure what you can do with them, maybe its possible to destroy them and order your ships to mine those fragments exclusively.
Yep, that's how you get the 25k nividium quickly: by blowing up a nividium asteroid with an hornet missile and then mining the debris. Only hornets work to break up asteroids in Litcube's/Mayhem.
Alternatively, Khaaks will drop a lot of nividium when destroyed, having more than 4 active miners in any one sector will trigger Khaak "mini-invasions" every few hours, that should net you 1/2k nividium in total each time. Khaak invasion strength (and, proportionally, spoils) will scale with how many miners you have working (up to 12 by default, can be edited in the t-file).

lighters
x4

Post by lighters » Wed, 28. Nov 18, 07:45

So quiet here now. Everyone holding their breath for X4?

I just want to say big thanks to Joubarbe for the amazing mod. Been playing 2.7.x for the last few months and it looks very polished and refined. Once I try out X4, I'll get back to it for another playthrough. Want to see whether Alliance start with no jumpdrive (for both player and NPC battle groups) is possible to survive.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”