[Mod Idea] Complex Smartphone App

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

creatoxx
x3tc

[Mod Idea] Complex Smartphone App

Post by creatoxx » Wed, 17. Oct 18, 18:14

Guten Tag,

been returning to X3AP from two years of abstinence, and forwarded a fresh reinstall of LUV with various addons. First thing I was searching for was a mod, or android app, that links to LUV's wiki from inside the game, so I'd never need to leave ingame. Unfortunately something like that does not exist, or never existed to begin with. I couldn't say in the past, because I wasn't using smartphone technologie before 2016.

So? Is there any background information? Yes, I am a quite versatile modder, having some experience with Phython, .xml, Java and C++ code, as well as advanced skills in texture creation with Gimp. Most prominent Mods I did was for Skyrim, Fallout 4, Minecraft, and various other non major titels like GalCiv II/III and Legend of Grimrock. Given my background as triathlet, I also gained some skills in creating apps for smartphones and smartwatches by Garmin. So? If I have all these skills, then why claim an idea only? Well, because my time as family father being fully employed is limited. So there's two things I need to ask first:

1. is there such an interest to create a App to begin with?
2. would some people have the patience and will to form a modding team?

The App per se shouldn't be limited to a simple smartphone wiki. It could be extended to a full fledged "smart device mod" replacing/enhancing your ships computer system, by the following features(and maybe even more if you keep flying in ideas):

1. ingame wiki which could fill itself automatically, f.e. with a universe map, ship stats, racial traits etc.
2. ingame diarys expanding on the wiki ideas
3. speech control of your ship, like imagening talking to Star Trek's ship computer (yes, before you ask...tools that could forward that are available aka speech engine, for both android and windows(c++), alternatively you can use phython or java and link to simple .xml code)

As source of inspiration you should head over to FO4 Mod Nexus.

creatoxx
x3tc

Re: [Mod Idea] Complex Smartphone App

Post by creatoxx » Thu, 8. Nov 18, 16:34

Man, dat interest...overwhelming...:)

Jokes aside. I figured there's that thing called Rainmetter, which is utilized by Litcube's, so reading exported files is there.

But what about using external functions inside the game. Does the X3 engine allow for java libraries or similar?

Edit:

The idea behind of this is basically creating a interactable computer ingame...think of Star Trek and voice commands.

I figured there's this voice command Mod for WSRM, but doing it via Android would be so much more convenient and easy(judging from a coders side).

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Fri, 9. Nov 18, 16:54

creatoxx wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 16:34
Well, what should I tell you, you're really not the first one suggest something like that in the last 10 or more years. There have been a couple of programs which interact with the game. Whereby I'm not aware of anything for a smartphone. The only "supported" interaction possibilities you have within the X games are writing something from the game into a logfile and reading text from a textfile into the game.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

creatoxx
x3tc

Post by creatoxx » Wed, 14. Nov 18, 07:48

X2-Illuminatus wrote:
Fri, 9. Nov 18, 16:54
creatoxx wrote:
Thu, 8. Nov 18, 16:34
Well, what should I tell you, you're really not the first one suggest something like that in the last 10 or more years. There have been a couple of programs which interact with the game. Whereby I'm not aware of anything for a smartphone. The only "supported" interaction possibilities you have within the X games are writing something from the game into a logfile and reading text from a textfile into the game.
You'd need a converting instance from .java to .xml. I know it's possible with .html code, so it should be feasible with anything more powerful.

Is there a limit in export of UI(OnScreen) information? Like, would it, in theory, be possible to export weapon load information to a log file?

What about the AI text/speech data?

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”