[Help] New player, want to get into X3 while waiting for X4

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

ComManDerBG
x4

[Help] New player, want to get into X3 while waiting for X4

Post by ComManDerBG » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 17:19

So, while X4 is getting fixed and finished by modders and the devs i was thinking about getting into the X3 games. I already have X3: TC and AP on steam, i got it a awhile ago but never got around to playing them properly. From what can figure, vanilla TC and AP are pretty broken even after patches, (though my info could be out of date, its been years since i last looked at the games). What is a good mod, mod pack, scripts or fix collection, rebalance, or whatever that new player could get into and appreciate. I read up on litcube and while the whole thing is pretty impressive from every angle, its definitely seems geared towards veterans, they even say so in the FAQ. From the little i played (and messing around with thereshallbewings lol) the only thing that truly bothers me is the ridiculously slow ship speed and the hilariously low range on cap weapons. Thanks for the help!
Also, i really want to emphasize the new player part, your favorite super massive command script with 40 pages of documentation is going to be lost on me, for now anyways, im sure after a few dozen hours i will be totally down to get into that, just not right away.

Also also, the Black Armory content drop for Destiny 2 is bunk so i just want to build a space empire and make my own black armory, blackjack and hookers :D .

Shuulo
x4

Re: [Help] New player, want to get into X3 while waiting for X4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 19:59

The only right answer will be to play X3AP with Litcube Universe mod
I never looked back to vanilla after playing LU, its an ultimate final mod to X3. Its not really geared towards veterns, you will get much better experience with it than with any other mod even as a newb as it fixes all of problems vanilla has. You are not forced to fight from the start and you can deactivate some features in the AL settings (in-game menu) that make game harder.

ComManDerBG
x4

Post by ComManDerBG » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 20:14

Are you sure? it seem specifically designed for people who are veterans with 100s of hours. it even says so in the faq.

Shuulo
x4

Post by Shuulo » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:17

It says so, yes, but from my experience it just gives some kind of endgame to the veterans.
In any other aspect you are free to do anything you would do in vanilla but with better performance and less bugs.

There is even a question in LU Q&A

I am new-ish to the X-verse. Will I be able to handle LU?
Maybe. Letting your game SETA overnight while your two UTs make money is unlikely a viable strategy now. It's meant to be an epic campaign, so you're not going to lose in the span of a few days.

I'm worried about OCV and Phanon expansion
It's not a huge panic race against time, but there is a slight sense of urgency. You'll get messages time to time to let you know what's happening in the Universe. However, running SETA run overnight to have your 1 UT gain you millions probably isn't a good idea.

sepa
x4

Post by sepa » Wed, 5. Dec 18, 21:24

LxXRM is a solid choice (though I would advise to remove the UI changes - just go to dds directory and rename 3 files that have 'gui' or 'interface' in name, easy to spot).

It is taking a while to install, but afterwards it just plays nicely, without the complication of LU (which is for veteran players).

Or, if you new, maybe just vanilla for a while?
Shit happens, ppl die. Usually when I'm around.

alphalvr
x3ap

Post by alphalvr » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 01:56

possible slight
Spoiler
Show
A common way to earn money fast without trying to spoil anything is to advance time. I personally have never done it, but it is a common way to make money. In LU there are enemies building up as well as you so that 'earn while you sleep' strategy is less er good.

Albion is a good game as it is
LU makes the universe more interesting once you have wealth not to mention probably the easiest large change to install.

Goldfinch
x3tc

Post by Goldfinch » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 02:08

They really aren't broken vanilla. There's flaws and things that can be improved with mods but it's difficult to know what you'd want to change without playing first.

X3 gives different things to different people - I've spent hundreds of hours in Terran Conflict playing through the plots, making myself a home base and a small collection of ships and factories, then starting again with harder starts and setting challenges for myself. I really like the early game stage but get fed up with the how awkward it is to manage a large empire.

LU would definitely make the empire building better but it seems like it encourages you to accelerate through the early stages and start building up asap. I've recently started a new game with LxXRM which adds a load of new sectors to explore, rebalances the game and makes a lot of things more expensive from what I can see - haven't played much yet. I think it fits my play style more, but it also looks harder for a new player than vanilla.

Personally I'd say play vanilla first, or maybe Albion Prelude with the TC plots mod. A lot of the scripts can be installed and used with an existing save so you can try some as you go.

Litcube
xr

Post by Litcube » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 06:26

Goldfinch wrote:
Tue, 18. Dec 18, 02:08
LU would definitely make the empire building better but it seems like it encourages you to accelerate through the early stages and start building up asap. I've recently started a new game with LxXRM which adds a load of new sectors to explore, rebalances the game and makes a lot of things more expensive from what I can see - haven't played much yet. I think it fits my play style more, but it also looks harder for a new player than vanilla.
The systems that encourage you to move are also in this mod LxXRM. Revelation, Phanon, the standalone packages.

Taylor2008
x4

Post by Taylor2008 » Tue, 18. Dec 18, 07:55

The systems that encourage you to move are also in this mod LxXRM. Revelation, Phanon, the standalone packages.
That`s right , but you can choose to not start them from the beginning of game and just follow the story-questlines and later on,you turn them on...

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 09:40

I'd go with modded vanilla because xrm probably makes the universe too hostile for a new player and LU isn't compatible with anything.

ComManDerBG
x4

Post by ComManDerBG » Wed, 19. Dec 18, 20:48

kyoo wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 09:40
I'd go with modded vanilla because xrm probably makes the universe too hostile for a new player and LU isn't compatible with anything.
Do you have any recommendations for mods for vanilla? cause i agree with you, i've been trying out Lxrm and while its pretty neat its als abit much to take in all at once.

alphalvr
x3ap

Post by alphalvr » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 01:54

I would play albion as vanilla, or maybe with the TC plots in albion to start with.

Once you do that you will know exactly what you would like to be different and select your mods accordingly.

For me the X games are easy and I can own the universe in a single M3 fighter which is why LU is so good, that just is not possible.

Also these mods have been created over many years and are nothing like the base game.

But if I was going to suggest things that I feel are must haves are Phanon, Yaki Armada, Brennans triumph, Pirate guild 3 and cockpit mods.....hmmmn and luckikes scripts and probably a bunch more I don't remember :) everyone is different but that is the way i'd go.

kyoo
x4

Post by kyoo » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 03:42

ComManDerBG wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 20:48
kyoo wrote:
Wed, 19. Dec 18, 09:40
Do you have any recommendations for mods for vanilla? cause i agree with you, i've been trying out Lxrm and while its pretty neat its als abit much to take in all at once.
there are A LOT!!! since its an old game that had a pretty active modding community. the library sticky in this forum is a good place to start. just read the threads to make sure the ones you want aren't broken because a lot of them are old af.
you could actually grab LxXrm and just use it's contents as reccomendations as that guy has pretty good taste

id consider most of the scripts made by lucike and wercho to be essential. most people go for the bonus pack, cheat package, mars fire control and anarkis defence system too.
pirate guild, yaki armada, improved khaak, revelation and phanon corp are all popular for spicing things up and adding end game content.
there are a bunch of mods like improved races that break vanilla's boring cold war kind of feel but im not sure which ones still work or which are broken (everythings so old!!)
IEX, ressurection and psco1's cockpits are like the big 3 for improving the game visually. im a fan of the coloured map mod too.
you probably want to look for some kind of performance / weapon rebalance mod too because vanilla has issues handling fleet fights

hope that helps!!
Last edited by kyoo on Thu, 20. Dec 18, 03:54, edited 1 time in total.

boogieman335
x4

Post by boogieman335 » Thu, 20. Dec 18, 03:46

I would start by adding the resurrection mod as it greatly improves the textures. As for cockpits I personally use a self customized merged version of PSc01 and ITS's cockpit mods. Using X editor 2 you can change the cockpits to the various ships and you can also use some of the scenes in the turrets. For example I have found that ITS Boron M6 hanger scene makes an excellent turret scene.
I also use some of the star wars mods ship cockpits. If you are wanting to add new ships the Xtra ship pack by Cadius is still around on some sites and it adds some ships that fit with the X universe perfectly.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”