Vocalizing Game Menus

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Vocalizing Game Menus

Post by CaplinCaplin » Fri, 7. Jun 19, 06:50

Hi All,

My previous post on this topic didn't get any replies, perhaps because I was a little vague in my ask, so I'll try again here.

Can any experienced moders think of a way to get the text of the currently-selected menu item? This doesn't seem to be available in scripts, at least nowhere obvious. You can totally create custom menu entries, that's not what I'm trying to do here.

I just want to find a way to avoid depending on the screen reader's OCR feature, which is honestly one of the two big limitations I labor under at the moment. If we can pass the current menu item to a speech system somehow, that would be ideal. I realize scripts can't get anything to the outside world except via log files.

THanks for any thoughts. :)

Joubarbe
xr

Re: Vocalizing Game Menus

Post by Joubarbe » Fri, 7. Jun 19, 08:30

You can't. You find all text files in the file t\0001-L044.xml and on most categories, you have one attribute called "voice". If "voice=no", then Betty won't say it. All menu items are silent.

And you can't "catch" what vanilla menu item is selected.

CaplinCaplin
x3ap

Re: Vocalizing Game Menus

Post by CaplinCaplin » Fri, 7. Jun 19, 23:37

Thanks for the info about the XMl. That at least explains where the item text comes from, which I previously was unsure about.

I imagine there's a unique ID for each menu item? This all would be a lot easier if I had access to the source code, I could probably patch in some text-to-speech support fairly easily.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”