Extracting Terran Claymore Model

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Rock3tMan

Extracting Terran Claymore Model

Post by Rock3tMan » Mon, 25. May 20, 12:23

Hi Everyone,

I would like to extract the Terran Claymore ship model from X3TC for use in 3D editing programs like Blender, Maya or 3dsMax etc.
Now I don't have any experience in using such programs so keeping it as simple as possible would be nice OR if someone here already has the extracted model and would send it to me I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm working on a personal project and would like to have the Terran Claymore as a reference that I can move it around and rotate it in what ever program I choose to use it in.
Basically I would like to overlay it onto another model to get sizes and proportions etc, so it will be in the same project as another model.

Is anyone here able to assist me with this?

Note: If this is in the wrong forum section apologies in advance, this seemed like the most logical place to post.

Majo64
x3ap

Re: Extracting Terran Claymore Model

Post by Majo64 » Mon, 25. May 20, 16:22

The way to extract models I'm familiar with requires a couple of tools from http://x-tools.doubleshadow.wz.cz/. There should be plenty of guides on how to setup and use these tools on the forums.

1. The X3 Editor 2 is required to open and browse through the .cat archive files within the game directory of X3 Terran Conflict. The 3d Model of ships as well as their textures are found within these archives. Once you have the model of the Katana, you right click and select "extract" to extract the file from the archive. Now you need to convert the .bob model of the ship to .bod using the built in BOD-Compiler of X3 Editor 2.

2. Now you need to import the .bod model into either gmax or 3dsmax using DBOX2 from doubleshadow. Once you've loaded it into the modeling software, you should be able to export it to a file format of your choice.

Rock3tMan

Post by Rock3tMan » Tue, 26. May 20, 12:05

Majo64 wrote:
Mon, 25. May 20, 16:22
The way to extract models I'm familiar with requires a couple of tools from http://x-tools.doubleshadow.wz.cz/. There should be plenty of guides on how to setup and use these tools on the forums.

1. The X3 Editor 2 is required to open and browse through the .cat archive files within the game directory of X3 Terran Conflict. The 3d Model of ships as well as their textures are found within these archives. Once you have the model of the Katana, you right click and select "extract" to extract the file from the archive. Now you need to convert the .bob model of the ship to .bod using the built in BOD-Compiler of X3 Editor 2.

2. Now you need to import the .bod model into either gmax or 3dsmax using DBOX2 from doubleshadow. Once you've loaded it into the modeling software, you should be able to export it to a file format of your choice.
Awesome, thank you for your response. I'm going to try this out and see how far I get. Thank you again. :)

Rock3tMan

Post by Rock3tMan » Tue, 26. May 20, 19:25

Ok so I've installed the X3 Editor 2 and I've found the Claymore model but I've noticed that its more stretched than it is in game.
I've looked at other models and they look fine and are in proportion but the Claymore model is more flat and stretched.
Is this just a way the viewer is presenting it?

Majo64
x3ap

Post by Majo64 » Wed, 27. May 20, 14:17

I think you may have accidentally confused the model of the Katana ("terran_m6") with that of the Claymore as it looks quite similar. Since you're looking for the Claymore, you need to open "terran_M8" in the same folder.

Rock3tMan

Post by Rock3tMan » Wed, 27. May 20, 19:29

Majo64 wrote:
Wed, 27. May 20, 14:17
I think you may have accidentally confused the model of the Katana ("terran_m6") with that of the Claymore as it looks quite similar. Since you're looking for the Claymore, you need to open "terran_M8" in the same folder.
hehe I've played this game long enough over the years to know the difference between the two :mrgreen:

This is a screenshot of what it looks like in X3 Editor 2:
https://imgur.com/Vrnf7Xr

This is a screenshot of it in X Models Viewer:
https://imgur.com/a/9K6gsnl

It might just be the software that is making it looked more stretched in the X3 Editor 2 so I think what I will do is export the model as you described and see how it looks in another app.

Majo64
x3ap

Post by Majo64 » Thu, 28. May 20, 13:47

My bad, you're right! The model does indeed look more stretched in X3 Editor 2. But that shouldn't be too much of a problem once you've loaded the model into 3dsmax/gmax as you can then simple scale it according to your preferences.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”