Randomized Universe? Anyone?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Lotharian

Randomized Universe? Anyone?

Post by Lotharian » Wed, 19. Aug 20, 00:55

I enjoy the exploration aspect of games. Isn't there a mod that randomizes the whole X3 universe? I'd be fine with that also getting rid of plotlines or whatever... although it would be nice if the plotlines could still be adapted to it. I mean, even if for example you had to keep the original Terran sector arrangement, and even whatever ones that are linked to those sectors, to preserve the plotline missions. Couldn't the rest still be randomized?

The only mod I've found is one that ADDS a random section to the galaxy. Not really the same thing.

Joubarbe
xr

Re: Randomized Universe? Anyone?

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 19. Aug 20, 15:52

No, to generate a procedural universe, you need to rewrite a lot of things entirely. The game is not made for heavy map editing. Adding sectors is easier. That's especially the case if you want to preserve the plots in some way.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 19. Aug 20, 17:40

Joubarbe wrote:
Wed, 19. Aug 20, 15:52
No, to generate a procedural universe, you need to rewrite a lot of things entirely. The game is not made for heavy map editing.
Said the person who did just that.
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

Joubarbe
xr

Post by Joubarbe » Wed, 19. Aug 20, 17:59

I don't edit the current map, I generate new ones with a lot of scripts completely redesigned. Editing the current map to change its layout and hope for everything to run fine will not work.
And you need a good knowledge of the game engine to do that, because it requires a lot of tricks for it to work.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”