X-online

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Greatbatus

X-online

Post by Greatbatus » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 23:33

Sorry couldn't see the right place to post this so thought i would put it in the most recent thread from the X releases, just wondering what happened to X-online and is it still going ahead?

Snokid
x2

Post by Snokid » Mon, 28. Nov 05, 23:45

X-online has yet to take any shape; no code has been written for it at all. It's really only a goal, at this point in time, for Egosoft. It's a really expensive venture and they will need more attention [GOOD attention] from the single player projects in order for them to have investors give even a glance at the undertaking of x-online...I'm sure it will bring the x-universe much more to life when it is made!

As for modding any of the single player games see: this thread

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 00:12

We be chasing the Holy grail :D

shasla5
x3

Post by shasla5 » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 00:17

I would advocate LAN play, but given the partially finished state of the game, that should be their last concern. It would be great, but it's never going to happen. We'll probably see X5 before we see X Online, and that's fine as far as I'm concerned. I have no love for MMOs.
PC specs: Athlon 64 4000+, Geforce 7800 GT 256 MB, 2048 MB PC 3200 RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM, 500W, nForce 4 SLI dual PCI-E.

Goffik
x4

Post by Goffik » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 00:56

shasla5 wrote:I have no love for MMOs.
Me neither. At the end of the day, an online version of X# wouldn't have nearly the amount of features as the singleplayer version. Online games never do. It would probably just degenerage into a space-based frag-fest.

Greatbatus

Post by Greatbatus » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 04:09

I don't mind MMO's i think the overall concept of an X-online is a great one, haven't looked at the link yet, will in a sec, Huge alliances competing against each other etc... but that is a long way off i suppose.

Anyway thanks for the quick response of to read the thread now!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 04:38

I have mixed feelings about an online X game.

I rather like the fact that I 'own' the universe I'm in, and although my empire consists of three ships and two million credits (having restarted on Extreme), eventually I'll have battleships and vast complexes. Lowly though my status is, I'm having a lot of fun, and can take as long as I like.

Yes an online game would be nice, but I don't like the idea of having to constantly tend to my online stuff to stop from falling too far behind, or having someone take out my hard won stations/UT's.
Or worse, falling prey to some script kiddie who's worked out how to hack the game and wreck the economy or build Uber ships in their first week of play.

Perhaps if it were expensive, say £20 a month, then the aformention script kiddies would be kept away. I doubt that would happen though.

What might be nice is an option to have more than one player in the game, say four or something, so several friends can join their games together and trade with each other.

I can see that it would be a supremely hard project to undertake, whatever the result is.

Deiform
x3

Post by Deiform » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 05:03

Err...have you never been on an MMORPG...they are built so they are not a 'frag fest', but a co-ordinated structure of alliances and wars. More powerful people have responsibilty to uphold the alliance and protect their sectors while the lower 'level' players expand their 'corner shops' if you like. If anyone attacks like in X3 where you amass an army of M2's, there will be an army waiting on the other side of the gate.

Also, many people are not interested in killing online players and NPC pirates and such, but in expanding a legendary empire so they can be recognised in name.

Think about it...you would like to see it before 2015 wouldn't you?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 10:25

Err...have you never been on an MMORPG...they are built so they are not a 'frag fest', but a co-ordinated structure of alliances and wars. More powerful people have responsibilty to uphold the alliance and protect their sectors while the lower 'level' players expand their 'corner shops' if you like. If anyone attacks like in X3 where you amass an army of M2's, there will be an army waiting on the other side of the gate.
I have yes, in fact the first one I played was text only, I've been using these here computing devices for a very long time.

You make some reasonable points, but have you also not heard of:

The huge robbery in Eve online that bankrupted some online players characters, whether or not they were logged in.

The asasination of Lord Britain in ultima online (which released vastly powerful weapons by mistake).

The cloning of money which ruined the economy in Star wars Battleground and wrecked the game for a lot of players.

The Plague in World of Warcraft spread by player pets because of a coding error.

The (accidentally) invulnerable and randomly spawning monster in Runescape that caused any players who came across it to lose all their nice (hard won) gear.

The (again accidental) vastly overpowered weapon in Runescape that meant players could kill anything with one hit.

The cheating that wrecked Diablo online.

Online games have enough problems, even if one leaves aside the issue of script kiddies. I'm not likely to want to invest time in any modern online game unless they can assure me that they've found ways to not only protect against hacking, but also reverse in-built errors.

James Manson
x3

Post by James Manson » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 11:38

If this were to go ahead, there would need to be police super ships in each of the main sectors to stop criminal damage to stations and traders, with a few ungoverned sectors where people could go for it if they wanted to.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 13:08

If this were to go ahead, there would need to be police super ships in each of the main sectors to stop criminal damage to stations and traders
That would only help after the event, unless police could magically stopp missiles fired at close range. If I lost a transporter with loads of stuff or a station, the most the perpetrator would lose is the ship they used for the attack. Yes there might be reputation hits, bu i it were anything like X3 then reputation could be recovered, Either way I wouldn't see it as fair.

Perhaps a lack of ability to kill other players at all except in 'unknown' sectors would be nice. Provided, that is, that there were enough npc's to attack for those who want to.

If the unknown sectors, wilderness whatever were suitably interesting, then it might be nice to be able to build an empire there once you had your own armada to protect it, but personally I'd want a great many huge sectors with no player killing before I'd subscribe to such a game.

Incidentally, I'd be happy to lend some of my coding time to the project for free, were egosoft happy for community members to contribute code.

HadleysHope
x3

Post by HadleysHope » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 13:39

If I was going to pay (again) to play a space game, it would be Eve Online, every single time. I Love X3, love it to little tiny bits. I play it because no blummin' 8 year old is going to fly up and blow me out of the sky / space. I Play X3 because its the closest thing I can get to Eve - OFFline... Given the choice of an online game, it would be Eve...

IMHO..

HH.

Arash

Post by Arash » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 15:05

Space MMO fans might want to check out Vendetta Online. It's got me hooked. Compared to X2, it's lacking a lot of content atm, but the action is good and the community is just great, kinda comparable with this board. You'll see some of the difficulties involved in these type of games going MMORPG style, but I think a lot of people here would like it. I know I do, I'm hooked for allmost a year now. the adres is http://www.vendetta-online.com. Enjoy.

Wild_Rho
x2

Post by Wild_Rho » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 16:41

The way the current X games work would have to be drasticly changed to work in an onine version.

I'm not talking about the coding side of it but rather the game concepts itself.
Simple example is when in a current X game you log off to go and do somthing else the universe is basically paused until you load it up again so no nasty shocks when you come back.
In an online version you could potentially come back to find everything you own has been destroyed by other players while you were offline and this would put alot of people bothering to continue playing.

Drastic changes to how the game works would need to be made for an mmo to keep it fun.

Right now all that is really needed is some good AI that gives a player true competition, rehsapes the x universe and even is capable of posing a threat to the player that needs to be responded to. Right now in X3 it really just feels like the universe is just plodding along never really changing unless I change it (which gets pretty dull after a while).

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 16:47

Arash wrote:Space MMO fans might want to check out Vendetta Online. It's got me hooked. Compared to X2, it's lacking a lot of content atm, but the action is good and the community is just great, kinda comparable with this board. You'll see some of the difficulties involved in these type of games going MMORPG style, but I think a lot of people here would like it. I know I do, I'm hooked for allmost a year now. the adres is http://www.vendetta-online.com. Enjoy.
I second that, it feels some-what empty in-game but I think you just need to time it right to get on when lots of other people are on too. And the combat is really nice espeically in intertia mode. :twisted:
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Greatbatus

Post by Greatbatus » Tue, 29. Nov 05, 23:07

Yes the idea of X3 where you and 3/4 other could connect up and play would be pretty amazing, and if you could save the game so when you logged on/off the game would save itself in that state and you would need 1 of you to load that game up again and only those 4 can join.

I like that idea as it would get rid of script/hackers and you get the choice if one of your friends is an 8yr old!

Or a Lan version of X3 which has a much faster pace of game play?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”