X Online Dogfight Deathmatch

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

ReggieReddog
x3

X Online Dogfight Deathmatch

Post by ReggieReddog » Thu, 26. Apr 07, 23:48

Does anyone else think it would have been cool if Ego had thrown in an online multiplayer option with X3? I think it really would've helped its popularity some too. Rather than trying to set up something as complicated as the WHOLE Trade/Fight/Think/Build universe, I would really enjoy at least the fight part against real people online. Perhaps they could incorporate your current game by only allowing you to use the ships you own in your game or something. And there could be slots (like in AmericasArmy) for the different ship classes on each team, so not everyone can just pick an M2. Leading killer gets first pick. Or there could be an M3 only round, M4 only round, etc for every-man-for-themselves games. Just plain ole fraggin like the kiddies enjoy nowadays. :D
Anyone else think that would've been Bad-A ?

Saber15
x4

Re: X Online Dogfight Deathmatch

Post by Saber15 » Thu, 26. Apr 07, 23:53

ReggieReddog wrote:Does anyone else think it would have been cool if Ego had thrown in an online multiplayer option with X3? I think it really would've helped its popularity some too. Rather than trying to set up something as complicated as the WHOLE Trade/Fight/Think/Build universe, I would really enjoy at least the fight part against real people online. Perhaps they could incorporate your current game by only allowing you to use the ships you own in your game or something. And there could be slots (like in AmericasArmy) for the different ship classes on each team, so not everyone can just pick an M2. Leading killer gets first pick. Or there could be an M3 only round, M4 only round, etc for every-man-for-themselves games. Just plain ole fraggin like the kiddies enjoy nowadays. :D
Anyone else think that would've been Bad-A ?
I'd love this, but what if somebody cheats and spawns themselves 2000 Odins in singleplayer then goes into multiplayer? :wink:

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 26. Apr 07, 23:57

I believe that this is... the... 10th is it? thread of the like. No matter...

Having an online game would be cool, but it is really implausible. Firstly, the change from a singleplayer game company to multi-player game company requires the setting up of a server, sometimes large... . This costs money. As it is, a Egosoft only is set up for a singleplayer game enterprise... unless they are secretly building large servers and planning for X4 to be a MMOPRG... that would be awsome, but any response we get from Egosoft will be as follows - "Our NDA dis-allows us from talking"

Even if the servers are going to be run by clients (us) they would need to write the server, connection protacalls, and the like.

I dunno. In a few years, perhaps an online game will emerge.

edit - and as saber says, cheating is a problem - especially with the in game script editor. That would have to be removed... and that would kill the game for many of us.

ReggieReddog
x3

Post by ReggieReddog » Fri, 27. Apr 07, 03:24

Yeah, I know there have been a lot of posts wanting the whole game online, but I hadn't seen this angle yet. And scripts--who needs them when all the ships are controlled by real people? "IT'S PEOPLE!!!"
And I don't know what kind of serverness it would require technically, but I think it would be worth it to help expand the market a bit. And to even the playing field, I guess all normal ships could be available to everyone; I was just reaching for some way for it to tie into your personal game.
I just think it would be a great way to settle all the smack about what ship is best, who really has skill flying, etc. Or maybe some kind of LAN option? Prolly won't ever happen, but dang I think it would have been cool.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Fri, 27. Apr 07, 03:57

as for cheating.. It'd be fun to see 2 guys go head to head in m5's that have 400 10 gj shields and overcharged weapons....

It'd be a battle of the scripts!
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Fri, 27. Apr 07, 04:04

I'm quite sure that if some online functions were developed in future projects, unsigned scripts would not work.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”