To many places, too many hidden details:

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 1. Mar 06, 20:04

:lol: OH THAAAANKKKK YYYYYOOOUUUUU

Ok, So people yapping here were correct, expecially the comment
Script or die. SO, I sent the problem to a friend whose a C++Programing
Guru for a local University. He says he might make an integrated package to do what I need done, right up to making the gun hardpoints
and sundry. He helped me integrate a few FL mods so he knows what I'm
after, I'll keep you all advised.

Hank001--------------------- :idea: --------------------

Edit: And he tossed it back at me saying it was impossible. I though about sending him Doubleshadow's email address and telling him to back to school. :wink: .
Last edited by Hank001 on Wed, 14. Feb 18, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.

DarthVain
x3tc

Post by DarthVain » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 04:40

Well I've downloaded the tools required, have gmax but the problem I have is if I'm setting everything up correctly, I can't seem to import anything into gmax. I don't see BC or anything like it in gmax when I'm supposed to have linked it somehow. I'm very unclear in this.

Do all these modding tools work with Gmax?

Maybe just a guide for starters in how to setup stuff in Gmax may be a good start 'cause I sure as hell am completely confused with the whole process.

I really would love to contribute towards adding new ships or importing ships from other sims and converting them to X3 useable ships.
Another one bites the dust!!

DarthVain

Saint-Ashley
x4

Post by Saint-Ashley » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 05:26

captainfred wrote:Well I've downloaded the tools required, have gmax but the problem I have is if I'm setting everything up correctly, I can't seem to import anything into gmax.
Check the Modding tutorials sticky for Northstars guide current version is 1.4 I beleive. It should help you on your endevor.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 18. Apr 06, 16:14

Both Northstar and Observe are working on improving the documentation.

My own experience has highlighted some missing aspects to the documentation so far.

Hopefully in the next few weeks, the documentation will finally be complete and the mystery surrounding getting a successful ship into the game solved.

Once it is, I'll add the pertinant information into the X3 Handbook, so one only then needs to go lookiing for more indepth info if you need it.

kevonski
x3

Post by kevonski » Fri, 28. Apr 06, 18:35

Any new developments in this? I found a site, http://scifi3d.theforce.net/list.asp?in ... ntCatID=11
with some awesome star war ship models. They come in various formats and I wondered is it possible to add this to X3?

I don't have 3DS, I did dl GMAX though. Could some GURU take a peek at the above site and gimme a basic walkthrough to importing a model to my game? Or heck, email me the files already done? :) mrypowerpoint@gmail.com

I know there is a Star Wars mod already for X2, but havnt seen yet any SW ships for X3.

Any feedback appreciated!

kevonski
x3

Post by kevonski » Sat, 29. Apr 06, 02:42

Okay I got GMAX working, am able to import 3ds files, and look at these beautiful Star War's models others have slaved over.

My problem now is I can't seem to run X2BC. Tried the command prompt and the RUN prompt from the start menu, but it gives an error about not finding the lib file that came with the archive. I have tried registering the lib, but it gives me a message that I can't register that file. When I am trying to run the x2bc the lib.dll is in the same directory though...

My plan was, export a corvette, find where it has the cockpit, put that cockpit on the millenium falcon model I have sitting open in GMAX and then stick that in my game as a test. I can't get x2bc to run though.

Any advice?

Also, while running GMAX, I can't for the life of me find where I am supposed to tell it to export to a bod file using the DBOX plugin. Found the little hammer, but witht he dbox running I cant locate a way to export the model I have loaded as a bod file.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 29. Apr 06, 20:15

You may want to check the Community Mod site periodically where some of these issues are also being discussed, and where other modders are hanging out from time to time. No guarantees, just another resource you may or may not be aware of for this stuff.

crazyjayloc2003

Post by crazyjayloc2003 » Sat, 3. Nov 07, 08:25

my experience with GMAX has been pretty horrendous...

and if im correct its pretty much not even supported any more, which is why i usually stick to programs like lightwave and 3ds max, and i have even had some limited success with google sketchup (just havent really tried to import the meshes into any other program)

but anyway im not any expert on modeling in 3D, in fact i did a hack job of a model from SW (one of the long forgotten ones) its the 3D version of the blueprints for the YT-1930...and yes that is actually an unused lucasarts ship

mine is a highly modified ugly version of the ship that fills in the back end of the thing (really i wanted more space on it and a bottom turret)

until i figure out how to hollow it all out, or build it again from scratch...(hrrrm) i have a gazillion polygons to try to merge and hollow

i liked the tutorial but to get to the point, how do you import an original mesh into the game?... instead of just using an existing one, as was discussed in the tutorial...

(PSSST)

also for anyone interested in the mesh i already have (even though its pretty rough by modeling standards), i can send it via email or msn messenger... i also got the blueprints for the original ship as it was supposed to appear (its actually the model i used to make the the pic for my sig a long time ago, look below)

i guess that last bit should really go in the ship request post, but i'll put it in there too

heres for rezzing the thread!!!

aerick911
x4

Post by aerick911 » Fri, 15. Aug 08, 19:10

Is there any other tools you can use since I dont have 3000 bucks laying around for 3ds? :)

I saw sketchup, blender, and truespace.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Fri, 15. Aug 08, 19:29

gmax and 3ds are the only ones that you can use

adecoy
x3tc

Post by adecoy » Fri, 15. Aug 08, 23:35

i stumbled upon this link while looking for something else... does this help any?

http://after-domination.net/phpbb3/view ... 7405#p7405
Last edited by adecoy on Wed, 27. Aug 08, 21:50, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Jin

Post by Ti Jin » Sat, 16. Aug 08, 00:11

is that argon nova in xsp ? please i would like that in my game i loved the colours.

aerick911
x4

Post by aerick911 » Wed, 27. Aug 08, 21:20

Is there a student license or something for 3ds that isn't $2304982304?

You can't download gmax anymore.

That's too bad, because blender is a pretty nice program

Earthpilot
x3tc

Post by Earthpilot » Sun, 31. Aug 08, 10:01

aerick911 : All my ships are done on Blender :D

Are you just using blender or are you able to program Python scripts for blender?

AFAIK there was someone called XIshtar who did build a script for importing X2-bodies, but he never had time to do the opposite.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 14. Feb 18, 05:36

My father told me "Always finish what you started."
So I shall.

To Doubleshadow. You're "pebble" called X2BC started the avalanche. I might have started this thread 11 years ago almost to the day but I dedicate this to you from all we modelers, 3D wire benders, photonic finaglers, modding madmen and mages of motion. May your star always shine in the heavens.

"Hank001"

:idea: :!:
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”