Loads Of Questions Regarding X2ol For Egosoft, Please Relpy!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Thomas2052
x4

Loads Of Questions Regarding X2ol For Egosoft, Please Relpy!

Post by Thomas2052 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 10:45

A few questions regarding X2 Online:

1) Will there be a subscription fee? (please say no, this has stopped me and probably many others from buying games such as planetside and Eve)

2) Do you have a rough release date yet?

3) Will all servers be hosted by egosoft?

4) Can you start as a different race on the races homesystem in their M5?

5) Can you own property collectively as a clan?

6) Will AI stations still be destroyable?

7) Can the server change race relation to set it, for example, during the Boron - Split war where the two races will attack each other on sight and this may force players to choose an alliegence.

8) Will you be able to share ships, as in one player drives and others man the turrets?

9) Will you be able to park your ship, for example an m5 in a corvette or in a m2 which your freind is controlling and let him/her carry you?

10) When you log off will your factories and any ships with commands still carry on?

11) seta compression won't work, are you doing a different system?

12) Will the universe be the same as X2:TT or will their be different sectors?

13) Will the server tolerate clans/player claiming systems as their own and attacking/robbing/killing anyone who passes through?

14) When you die what will be the consequences?

15) If you are driving a M1/M2/Station carrier, how can you save?

16) If you are driving, for example, an m2 and you leave it via an m5 you had parked, save and logoff, will the m2 still be there just floating in space?

17) If you eject will freindly ships be able to pick you up and drop you off somewhere else?

18) If you eject will enemy units be able to capture you?

19) Will the server designate 'safe sectors' or areas where pvp combat is not allowed shuch as spawning sectors?

20) Will you still be able to name your ship, and if so, will the name rather than the class show up on the nav map?

21) Don't you think that being able to change your ships colour scheme would be cool and give you more ideviduallity? Any chance of this being added into X2OL or X2:TT?

22) what will happen to undockable ships when they are destroyed as you never actually saved with them (assuming you still save when docking)?

23) Will the server be able to employ and pay moderaters to make sure that rules are enforced?

24) Will you be able to befreind the khaak/xenon?

25) Will you be able to fly the khaak/xenon ships?

26) Will the Teladi M6 be avalible to fly?

27) If you have good rating with or are of a certain species and another player attacks/kills you, will their rating with that race go down?

28) Will you be able to post messages/bounties on station bulliten boards?

29) Will comunication still be limited to 8km, or will you be able to sector chat?

30) Will clans be able to own ships collectively e.g. anyone from that clan can get in?

31) if you are driving something with docking capacity and someone wants to dock, do you have to agree to it somehow?

32) If you bail, its your ship now a free-for-all prize?

33) Will the server be able to add new sectors on? If so will clans be able to request this for a clan home sector?

34) If no.33 is yes, will the clan be able to pay for AI controlled stations to be put in that sector e.g. shipyards?

35) Will clans be able to talk directly to each other via the comm no matter how large the distance?

36) Will designating property to a clan be in the command console like setting a homebase?

37) Can you set yourself as a member of a clan by using the above in your own personal command console (where it shows your stance towards other races)?

38) Will the server be able to post bounties for particually troublesome players?

39) Will you be able to give yourself a career title in your command console e.g. bounty hunter, trader which will show up on your info/nav map?

40) Will you be able to trade ship to ship in the simple Freelancer style?

41) Watch this space, I'm sure I can think of more!!

Thomas2052
x4

Post by Thomas2052 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 10:48

Sorry about the random smilies, it does that when 8 and ) are together.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 10:52

Its very early in development (if its even started as they are probably still working on X2 patches) so chances of a reply are slim

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Magmus
x2

Post by Magmus » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 11:21

espicialy after you asked 41! questions!

:lol:

I'd hate to be a develepoer and answer that many questions in 1 psot :D
Magmus
Novas caught - 502
Rank - Decorated Federal Hero of the UNCC
Title -

Enemy of AMG members (45 Points)

President of the MDC [Mag Defence Corp]

Unimaginative
x3

Post by Unimaginative » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:07

Running servers costs money, so unless people fancy buying the game over and over from the shops, say once every three months, there's going to be some form of subscription fee. Not because they want to rake in profits, but because they'll need to pay for the bandwidth and maintenance of the servers. If your gripe about subscription fees is that you don't have access to a credit/debit card, then say so, that way maybe egosoft will think of providing a voucher system, similar to pay-as-you-go phones.

Crazywolf2001
x3tc

Post by Crazywolf2001 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:16

If they go for a true MMP then they'll either have to charge a Sub or do the same as Project Entropia and charge users real money for equipment and repairs to ships etc.

Crazywolf2001
x3tc

Post by Crazywolf2001 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:29

But what game are your servers running - I expect X2:Online will be a lot more processor intensive than UT or SoF and that sort of game.
I expect that like the 'official' UO game shards(servers), each game world(shard) is actualy actually several servers networked together to be able to handle the load. To make a successful MMP they're going to have to put a lot more detail in the X Universe!

If they're going to go for free servers then they should go down the same road as NWN and make it so that players can createand host their own universes. Then, EGOSOFT can release an add-on CD every 6 or 12 months with new features, ships, AI and graphics etc. and still make money themselves.

Typhoon12
x3

Post by Typhoon12 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:35

The games wolfgaming is hosting is not like SoF and that crap :wink: It's Battlefield 1942 and also with mods like EoD and FH, 6 servers, 3 servers for Ut2004demo, and 5 more games supported with more servers for them to name a few. In the future BF:V and other games will be supported. And these games are very demanding for the hardware. Especially the latest version of Forgotten Hope mod 0.61. !! :lol: We also got spanish affiliates with more servers etc etc....

Wolfgaming.net: http://wolfgaming.net
Last edited by Typhoon12 on Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:40, edited 1 time in total.
Nobody Makes It Alone.

DanishEagle
x3tc

Post by DanishEagle » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:39

Talk about a post that can make ur head spin.... :D

About the whole payment deal. I'm not very much in to how it works, but i know that Battle.net is free, and therefore it should be able make the servers free on other online games too.
In general don't like the idea of have to paying for a game twice.

They could release the online version seperately, with a rather high pricetag on it, and make some money that way. I would feel fine to pay for an seperate online edition, because it would have to be a pretty much different game, but in the same Universe.

If they had to make it with an maintenence fee, then it should be affordable to all, here i'm talking about 25$ per Year. I've seen other games charge the same (or more) per month, and that just repels me.

DE

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 12:57

DanishEagle wrote:About the whole payment deal. I'm not very much in to how it works, but i know that Battle.net is free, and therefore it should be able make the servers free on other online games too.
Battle.Net doesn't have to be a persistent universe--e.g. it doesn't remember any details of the game between plays; it only has to store your own character details. The servers for full-blown multiplayer online RPGs and space sims have to keep updating the universe EVEN IF NO-ONE IS CONNECTED, and therefore have an order of magnitude harder job than Battle.Net's servers do. Therefore you simply can't compare one with the other.

JohnathanDoe

Post by JohnathanDoe » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 13:05

And Blizzards upcoming World of Warcraft will be using a seperate server system then battle.net because running a persistent world is much different.

Lyrael
x3

Post by Lyrael » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 13:24

Please dont make it an online game it would break me in half :P

X2 the threat with Multiplayer/LAN abilites thats what we want :P I want to share the fun of playing X2 the threat with my friends on LAN not with the whole world on one massive server(unless there isnt a LAN side to the game aswell that you can play without paying.)

This is what we want to do :P
Want to have a trading federation with my friends taking care of their factorys. Perhaps a grand fleet of the Argon federation led by admiral Lyrael(me :P) on the lead ship the Argon titan named Prometheus with my friends running other ships :P yay.
I just had to say this, no need to actually answer :D
/An X-Universe addict.
X3 - LyraelCorp 8 Factorys and 46 ships.

fireblade
x4

Re: Loads Of Questions Regarding X2ol For Egosoft, Please Re

Post by fireblade » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 14:11

Thomas2052 wrote:A few questions regarding X2 Online:

1) Will there be a subscription fee? (please say no, this has stopped me and probably many others from buying games such as planetside and Eve)
if its a persistant univerese and it probably will be then yes
2) Do you have a rough release date yet?
no
3) Will all servers be hosted by egosoft?
will most likely be either egosoft or a publisher
4) Can you start as a different race on the races homesystem in their M5?
different races almost certainly yes, home systems maybe, m5 maybe
5) Can you own property collectively as a clan?
probably
6) Will AI stations still be destroyable?
no idea depends on other stuff
7) Can the server change race relation to set it, for example, during the Boron - Split war where the two races will attack each other on sight and this may force players to choose an alliegence.

relations will most likely be dynamic like in x2 what affects them is a different matter
8) Will you be able to share ships, as in one player drives and others man the turrets?
maybe
9) Will you be able to park your ship, for example an m5 in a corvette or in a m2 which your freind is controlling and let him/her carry you?
maybe
10) When you log off will your factories and any ships with commands still carry on?
probably yes
11) seta compression won't work, are you doing a different system?
probably
12) Will the universe be the same as X2:TT or will their be different sectors?
since there was more sectors in Xt than Xbft and more sectors in x2 than xt plus the will be multiplayer not single player its likely there will be quite a lot more sectors or the area of space will be increased in some other way
13) Will the server tolerate clans/player claiming systems as their own and attacking/robbing/killing anyone who passes through?
claming sectos probably yes
attacking and killing others maybe though if you do you might not have claim to the sector for very long
14) When you die what will be the consequences?
no idea
15) If you are driving a M1/M2/Station carrier, how can you save?
no idea
16) If you are driving, for example, an m2 and you leave it via an m5 you had parked, save and logoff, will the m2 still be there just floating in space?
depends if the m2 has been told to do anything if you didnt give it any instructions most likely it will just sit there
17) If you eject will freindly ships be able to pick you up and drop you off somewhere else?
possibly
18) If you eject will enemy units be able to capture you?
maybe
19) Will the server designate 'safe sectors' or areas where pvp combat is not allowed shuch as spawning sectors?
probably in some form
20) Will you still be able to name your ship, and if so, will the name rather than the class show up on the nav map?
maybe
21) Don't you think that being able to change your ships colour scheme would be cool and give you more ideviduallity? Any chance of this being added into X2OL or X2:TT?
maybe
22) what will happen to undockable ships when they are destroyed as you never actually saved with them (assuming you still save when docking)?
saveing does not work in the same way in multiplayer games
saving if anything stores the state of the WHOLE universe NOT individual players or ships and if you did reload it woul reload ALL players to their previous state

and if a persistent universe which is likley then saveing won`t exist as such there will most likely be some form of insurance instead. so if something of yours is destroyed and you have in insured you will get a replacement or its insurance value in some form.
23) Will the server be able to employ and pay moderaters to make sure that rules are enforced?
probably
24) Will you be able to befreind the khaak/xenon?
don`t know
25) Will you be able to fly the khaak/xenon ships?
possibly
26) Will the Teladi M6 be avalible to fly?
there will likly be a M6 class teladi ship whether its the same one is another matter
27) If you have good rating with or are of a certain species and another player attacks/kills you, will their rating with that race go down?
possibly could be effected by other things
28) Will you be able to post messages/bounties on station bulliten boards?
possibly
29) Will comunication still be limited to 8km, or will you be able to sector chat?
probably depends on the type of communication
30) Will clans be able to own ships collectively e.g. anyone from that clan can get in?
possibly

31) if you are driving something with docking capacity and someone wants to dock, do you have to agree to it somehow?
strange question

if you didn`t want them docking you could just blast them
other than that would seem likely
32) If you bail, its your ship now a free-for-all prize?
maybe
33) Will the server be able to add new sectors on? If so will clans be able to request this for a clan home sector?
add new sectors most likely
request sector you will probably have to find and claim it yourself
34) If no.33 is yes, will the clan be able to pay for AI controlled stations to be put in that sector e.g. shipyards?
possibly
35) Will clans be able to talk directly to each other via the comm no matter how large the distance?
probably
36) Will designating property to a clan be in the command console like setting a homebase?
it will probably be somewhere
37) Can you set yourself as a member of a clan by using the above in your own personal command console (where it shows your stance towards other races)?
not likely that is only hostility status for your ships freind or foe system
you join you will likely have to apply in some way
38) Will the server be able to post bounties for particually troublesome players?
probably
39) Will you be able to give yourself a career title in your command console e.g. bounty hunter, trader which will show up on your info/nav map?
you will probably be able to set info about yourself in some form for other player to look at if they want
not sure what you mean
41) Watch this space, I'm sure I can think of more!!
i think those are probably the best answers you will get at this stage in development i.e not much infomation available just guesses based on the balance of probabilities

other than any info at http://online-universe.net/
which is where info will most likely appear when it is know

Thomas2052
x4

Post by Thomas2052 » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 17:11

A lot of maybe and probably then. In regards to the issue about subscription, wouldn't this have a positive effect as many more people will buy the game and previous titles?

not sure what you mean
Sorry, I should have explained it for those who have never played freelancer. In freelancer, to trade with another person in a ship, you just had to go within a certain distance and press 'u' which would send them a message that, if agreed to, would open up a window where you simply display the goods/cash and they display what they're willing to pay trade for it. What I am asking here is whether you will need an upgrade to trade ship to ship otherwise you would have to land and go through the whole transfer routine.

Thanks for the (rather vague) replies anyhow!!!

VoidlessVoid
x2

Post by VoidlessVoid » Tue, 9. Mar 04, 17:12

I have a question. Just how much of the enviroment is going to be interactive. Can you fly into planits and crash or maybe distroy the gateways.

fireblade
x4

Post by fireblade » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 02:45

Thomas2052 wrote:A lot of maybe and probably then. In regards to the issue about subscription, wouldn't this have a positive effect as many more people will buy the game and previous titles?
yes and no

remember if you have a persistant universe this requires a continues or periodic input of money in order to pay for its upkeep (power, internet peoples wages etc.)

if you charge a subscription it will cover these and the cost of the game can cover development costs

but

if there is no subscription then you have to have enough new people buying the game to cover these costs as well as people leaving the game

note people must leave at the same rate as new join other wise the mantanance cost will increase while your income stays the same which would be a problem.

secondly if you have a potentiol of say 100000 people and you estimate a 10% market share i.e 10000 people when you have sold the game to that many people you have a problem as there is no one else to buy the game
which means you have no income but you still have maintanace costs which meas you are continuosly losing money and will go out of buisness
not sure what you mean
Sorry, I should have explained it for those who have never played freelancer. In freelancer, to trade with another person in a ship, you just had to go within a certain distance and press 'u' which would send them a message that, if agreed to, would open up a window where you simply display the goods/cash and they display what they're willing to pay trade for it. What I am asking here is whether you will need an upgrade to trade ship to ship otherwise you would have to land and go through the whole transfer routine.

Thanks for the (rather vague) replies anyhow!!!
hmm i think if you have a transporter you could probably somthinng very similar. if you don`t you will probably have to either both dock somewhere or eject your cargo into space for the other person to collect

you might be able to dock your ships together and do a cargo transfer that way but i don`t know about that.

i can`t realy be anything other than vague as very little infomation in available
VoidlessVoid wrote:I have a question. Just how much of the enviroment is going to be interactive. Can you fly into planits and crash or maybe distroy the gateways.
fly into planets and crash almost certainly
destroy gates i doubt it.
a the gates are supposed to be in general very tough (the gate destroyed earth gate is a special case) and
b. the ancients wouldn`t take kindly to having there gates destroyed, you could wake up on a planet without a ship, it would probably be a nice planet but you would still be stuck there that or they would just rebuild it again, which they would probably do anyway.

Wolvan
x4

Post by Wolvan » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 04:58

I think it might be a little early to be asking some of these questions. If it is going to be a MMP game expect a fee, it's the only way to make it profitable. Secondly if it is MMP expect a very long development cycle, so if it is going to be MMP it's probably still in the conceptual design stage :)

Just a thought, on a way to keep it free.

Anyone here played neverwinter?

With a game like this MMP could get prohibitively complex, considering player owned stations and fleets and the then required size of the universe. To me it would seem a lot easier to just redesign and expand the universe slightly and tweak some of the gp issues and open it up to smaller 3rd party servers. I mean MMP is fun and all but with the size the sp game is already it would be a lot easier to have a bunch of fan controlled 64-82 man persistent servers.

If anyone here has ever played the NWN PW servers you have an idea of what I'm talking about, and unless you are a socialite or a real chatter box then you really don't notice the abscense of a gazillion players in the same server. As well it's nice because these types of servers tend to develop a group of regulars and you end up finding a group of people you enjoy playing with and you don't have to deal with all the a**hats.

Just a thought.

Crazywolf2001
x3tc

Post by Crazywolf2001 » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 11:28

I play NWN occaisionally, and agree with you that some sort of setup which allowed users to design and host their own games would be great.

Although I'm a big MMP fan (I've played UO for almost 4 years now) I think that an Online MMP version of X2 would have a job standing up against games such as SWG. I know SWG is a character driven game rather than a ship driven game like X2; but SWG has the branding to attract a lot more players - and draw potential X2:Online players away. :cry:

Lyrael
x3

Post by Lyrael » Wed, 10. Mar 04, 16:59

Then there might be a good solution!

X2 online could be an massive online game witch you subscripe to play
X2:the Threat should get multiplayer from an expansion or something, just simple LAN/ 16 player or something multiplayer!

Thats the way, aha aha we would really like it, aha aha! :P
:lol:
/An X-Universe addict.
X3 - LyraelCorp 8 Factorys and 46 ships.

Crazywolf2001
x3tc

Post by Crazywolf2001 » Fri, 12. Mar 04, 12:01

I think if EGOSOFT brought out a 2 different versions, a free 'design and host your own multiplayer', and a Subscription 'massive multiplayer', the masive multiplayer would die in a very short time.

Yes, I'd love it if there were a MMP of X2 - but I think it's a financially risky venture and could well go the way of the Dodo leaving EGOSOFT with some serious money-troubles. :!:

Most people don't like the thought of paying a monthly subscription just to play a game. It's a pity - but it's true! :cry:

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”