Ship interiors code in, can modders use that code for stations for bars etc?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skeeter
x3

Ship interiors code in, can modders use that code for stations for bars etc?

Post by Skeeter » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 20:56

As the code will be there for room interiors, transitioning from room to room with animations and stuff. Would ES be able to keep it away from being hard coded so modders could use this code to impliment rooms and settings of their own.

Maybe station interiors after alot of modding would be possible, like bars for missions and design fancy rooms in your own ship. Heck if modding is possible then modders could be able to convert the "one" ship into other ships or even cap ships and have new rooms of their own even?

Could be a nice bit of tech for modders to utilise if possible. With scripting could be REALLY big.

Just thinking of it now.

A moddeded star trek ship
A modded cockpit to be the bridge kinda at least the stuff you would see when in cap chair.
A modded companion to be my No One. :p
Modded rooms into things like the captains ready room or engineering from trek ships.

Oooh. Dreaming now. :)

But probably wont be able to mod it as be hard coded :( That or no groups of people would be a mod team to do a trek mod for me. :P

Do it myself but gave up modding years ago after doing homeworld and st legacy for years.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:28

Just imagine what could be done with the co pilot? Are there any very naughty modders out there? :roll:

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:33

greypanther wrote:Are there any very naughty modders out there? :roll:
LV :D

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:40

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 21:50

Hi,

Well Bernd did use the word "modular" a few times so who knows what can be plugged into your co-pilot! ;)

I would hope that if a mechanic is in place to enable "rooms" in ships (hopefully with a view outside the window) then "rooms" on a station might just be doable. After all we have modular turrets on both ships and stations so why not rooms.

I really do hope that being in some rooms lets the game stay "live" i.e. I can go to my commanders lounge and just gaze out the window while my co-pilot gets on with things. In the real world I'd be taking a moment to grab a bite to eat, while still immersed in my game lol. I do imagine though that in some instances the world will have to freeze during certain dialogues, though I hope this is kept to a minimum.

Cheers,

Scoob.

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 22:49

Yeah, rolling a smoke in the captain's office while staring out at the ships docking/undocking would be nice :)

On a slightly related subject, I wonder if the day will come when menus can be integrated into the ship computer console geometry, like in Doom 3. Sitting in an office working on your stocks from an actual terminal would be fun.
Rawr.

Walkop
xr

Post by Walkop » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 23:38

On a slightly related subject, I wonder if the day will come when menus can be integrated into the ship computer console geometry, like in Doom 3. Sitting in an office working on your stocks from an actual terminal would be fun.
This has been implied to be the case in X:Rebirth on various occasions - I forget exactly where, but we may very well see this in the game!

fallenphoenix32
x3tc

Post by fallenphoenix32 » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 23:51

It's not that difficult from a technical standpoint, however the real challenge is doing it well enough that having the data within the game world adds to the experience, rather than making it awkward and difficult to use. I'm a stat junky myself, but also a huge proponent of not taking the user out of the game world except when absolutely necessary, so I'm hopefully optimistic. :)

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 00:06

Wow that's wonderful news, guys! I agree it could easily be a real pain if not done well. I suppose you could just have both; have normal menus via the keyboard and immersive menus from within the ship. Redundancy isn't such a big concern.
Rawr.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”