Ship Salvaging?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Walkop
xr

Ship Salvaging?

Post by Walkop » Fri, 30. Sep 11, 23:27

Considering the fact that you can only directly 'fly' one ship in XRB, will capturing of other vessels stay in? For instance, if you damage another ship and the pilot ejects, will you be able to leave your ship, claim the other vessel, and control it as a 'drone'? Will you be able to capture other ships at all through claiming?

Or is the salvaging system completely gone?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 00:38

Boarding was mentioned very briefly in one of the stickies, but since there are apparently no real fighters, just drones, getting a pilot to bail would entail getting the entire crew to bail, i.e., boarding. So I would guess lone captures of small freighters and fighters is no longer a part of the game.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 00:41

If you captured a drone in a net amounting to a Faraday cage, you could "capture" it by interrupting the controlling radio connection.

And since Xenon can "bail" in X3, onboard control is not immune to failure, either.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Khaak_Slayer
x4

Post by Khaak_Slayer » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 00:46

Hmm... I dunno.. the more 'features' I hear the game won't have the more I question if it's going in the direction I had been expecting/hoping. I suppose they don't just want to make another generic X game, but no fighters? That seems just unbelievable.
Rawr.

DonBeech
x4

Post by DonBeech » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 01:24

The stickies mentioned different drones for different jobs, there has to be some kind of capturing drone .....maybe even the 'Tiny' drones he mentioned that can actually navigate inside the ships, maybe some sort of fly up the exhaust mini-game pops up to capture it.

:lol:
"I have the heart of a saint...I keep it in a jar on my desk!"

Walkop
xr

Post by Walkop » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 01:48

Gazz wrote:If you captured a drone in a net amounting to a Faraday cage, you could "capture" it by interrupting the controlling radio connection.

And since Xenon can "bail" in X3, onboard control is not immune to failure, either.
Interesting concept. I'd love to see some kind of electronic warfare aspects in Rebirth - turning a person's drones against him would certainly change things up!

Good point about the Xenon. Depending on whether most drones are one-shot ships like Fighter-Drones today or they are actually capable combat vessels, I could easily see this happening. Remember that the new game has modules as a focus - if other ships have drones as well, destroying a 'control module' of some sort could disable the drones and allow you to take them over. Of course, I would see this taking time so the other ship actually has a chance to fight off it's attacker (the player, for instance) before a drone is turned against it.
Kha'ak_Slayer wrote:Hmm... I dunno.. the more 'features' I hear the game won't have the more I question if it's going in the direction I had been expecting/hoping. I suppose they don't just want to make another generic X game, but no fighters? That seems just unbelievable.
There was nothing about no fighters - Drones are likely to be more than just Fighter Drones. There are mining drones, invisible drones, attack drones - we may see a drone lineup as complex as the ship lineup in X3!
Don Beech wrote:The stickies mentioned different drones for different jobs, there has to be some kind of capturing drone .....maybe even the 'Tiny' drones he mentioned that can actually navigate inside the ships, maybe some sort of fly up the exhaust mini-game pops up to capture it.
:lol:

But I could definitely see some kind of capturing drones - makes sense, small ships that could either infiltrate exhaust ports or drill into the hull.

Syock

Post by Syock » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 04:12

I would like to know if modules would be able to be salvaged, either in whole or as raw materials. If I upgrade something and find it is not working out how I want, it would be nice to be able to pull it apart to try something different.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 04:32

Syock wrote:I would like to know if modules would be able to be salvaged, either in whole or as raw materials. If I upgrade something and find it is not working out how I want, it would be nice to be able to pull it apart to try something different.
This sounds interesting; taking piracy to a whole new level.

Stealing entire space stations, module by module!
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Syock

Post by Syock » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 04:40

I wasn't even thinking about piracy when I said that. I can see it now... There could be a demolition drone that slowly rips parts off a station.

Bill67
x4

Post by Bill67 » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 04:48

I saw the brief mention of hiring boards, and also there seemed to be a mention of sabatouging ship systems so I wouldnt say its ruled out to claim ships, but if so it might be more for salvage than ownership.

And why does everyone seem to think you have to fight with your drones alone? They are a safe version of fighting but I didnt see anything that your main ship WONT be armed. Now I dont know what classification it will yet fall under tho. I am sure it wont be zippy as a fighter but doubt they would make it like a slow trader as well.

Syock

Post by Syock » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 04:54

Bill67 wrote:And why does everyone seem to think you have to fight with your drones alone? They are a safe version of fighting but I didnt see anything that your main ship WONT be armed.
I think that is because they made a big deal about being able to manually fly the drones. Of course, while your busy doing that your own ship doesn't have you to fly it properly. That isn't to say the main ship isn't armed, just that if they push manually flying drones rather than the main ship, gameplay focus changes.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sat, 1. Oct 11, 04:59

The sub-system system hee hee sounds great for boarding. Now, instead of leaving the contents of a captured ship up to the RNG the player now has control over what he gets when takes a ship.

If the player wants a ship for its guns, then he won't destroy its turrets. If he wants a new jump drive, then he won't destroy its jump drive.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”