what noone is talking about

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

OnlineKenji
x3tc

Post by OnlineKenji » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 05:11

:lol: I just had a thought.... imagine if ALL of the voices were like the same guy... I mean every captain, every station manager, every police officer... Just one dude saying different things... I'm sure that would save on cost :P
There are only two things in life that matter, and I have them both. They're not what you might think, and once you learn that you'll be much happier.

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 05:19

if one guy does ALL the conversations.. i would LOVE to see some NPC to NPC chatter!
Jovianmoon wrote:
apricotslice wrote:...auto-pillok...
Are we ready to collide with that asteroid?
Yes sir! Engaging auto-pillock!

Aquitaine
x4

Post by Aquitaine » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 15:28

The voice acting in X has never been fantastic, but the dialogue has been the limiting factor more than the acting has -- and the dialogue is limited by the lore, which has also never been one of X's strong suits.

The alien races are mostly cliche, sort of Star-Wars-y 'this entire race is an exaggeration of certain human qualities' manner. I think this got into the 'X' formula very early on, so it's more a criticism of the early lore (when that stuff wasn't considered very important anyway) than of later-X writing, which was constrained by decisions made a decade earlier.

The races that aren't like this are the least restricted in how they're written, and they end up being the more interesting races -- like the Xenon.

One of the advantages of a reboot is (hopefully) that previous cliches can be over-written, not unlike the Trek reboot. More freedom for writers = more natural, less stilted dialogue = better voice acting.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 15:32

Long as ES avoids any remotely close iteration of the following phrases....

"I saw a mudcrab the other day."

"Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter."

...I'll cut them some slack.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 15:42

Voice Acting is something important on Stories... Things you enjoy just a few times (one only?) but that are graded by the level of immersion of those few times (1st time specially)...

...On a game that wants to keep its sandbox identity it makes sense things that are enjoyed once (most "voiced" orders/status qualities are systematically ignored by your brain after a certain ammount of times and only the "meaning" will go through) do not take Development Time/Budget preference over other gameplay elements that must work multiple times and that each gamer "style" attracted to X-R will focus their attention to...

...So far I haven't seen a "gamer style" built around hearing the same dialog a million times... Those naturally gravitate towards "Where is the skip cutscene key, pls?"...

...So as much as I like immersive dialogs/cutscenes, on a game like this, I don't want this to take Dev Resources over gameplay features I will use often.

Syock

Post by Syock » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 16:06

OnlineKenji wrote::lol: I just had a thought.... imagine if ALL of the voices were like the same guy... I mean every captain, every station manager, every police officer... Just one dude saying different things... I'm sure that would save on cost :P
There are a lot of people named Gardner.

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Sun, 2. Oct 11, 22:49

Kor'ah wrote:
"Patrolling the Mojave almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter."

...I'll cut them some slack.
so true.. i dont know HOW many times i have heard that, but i want to shoot any NPC that says it!
Jovianmoon wrote:
apricotslice wrote:...auto-pillok...
Are we ready to collide with that asteroid?
Yes sir! Engaging auto-pillock!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”