64bit support ?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Syock

Post by Syock » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 03:37

ThommoHawk wrote:My PC is setup as a triple booting raid10 machine, with 64bit Vista Premium, 64bit Win7 Ult, and 32bit XP Pro and I did get XP Pro specifically to have a 32 bit OS available . May be a bit of overkill, but I wanted to be sure I can play any windows based game there is on my PC. :) I have XBTF and XTension on the XP OS, and X2, X3R, X3TC on my Vista OS.
Might I suggest you download the compatibility administrator program from microsoft. I've never had an issue getting any game to play on my xp 64.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 03:43

Syock wrote:Might I suggest you download the compatibility administrator program from microsoft.
That figures. I didnt know there was one. Trust Microsoft to make one and then not include it as standard.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 03:56

apricotslice wrote:
Syock wrote:Might I suggest you download the compatibility administrator program from microsoft.
That figures. I didnt know there was one. Trust Microsoft to make one and then not include it as standard.
Hey, that's not even that bad bro. I have the Pro version of Win7 and I have a bunch of Japanese program I want to run. My XP box actually was in Eastern language mode most of the time. So when I tried it, I realized I don't have the Eastern Language pack installed - ok - I'll just install it. Go to MS website, read the instruction, go back to my comp, don't see that option they're talking about. Do more search ... and it turns out to get the Eastern Language pack install you need to buy the Ultimate version.

Heh, was one of those moment I regret upgrading. :shock:

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 09:44

Interestingly for those not aware running a 32bit app on a x64 Windows OS consumes more resources than running it on a x86 Windows OS due to overheads in the kernel.

It would be great to see the game expoilt more than 2GB of physical RAM or at least have that option not least because the new engine should in theory be with us for a while to come....

Aquitaine
x4

Post by Aquitaine » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 15:55

Why is it an either/or? Don't most game developers who release 64-bit executables also release 32-bit executables?

Seems like it's just a question of whether it's worth the investment of time and resources to develop both. If Ego plans on using the Rebirth engine for a long time (and why wouldn't they?) then it makes more sense to at least lay the groundwork for it.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 19:00

apricotslice wrote:Thats not quite true. Win7 64 bit wont run all 32 bit programs now, which is why I ended up having to install Vista 32 as a virtual box in order to be able to run several things. Vista 64, also didnt run a good cross section of XP made games, some of which I was pretty sure were 32 bit and should have run under vista 64.

So Microsoft havent made the newer operating systems completely backwards compatible.

There is no guarentee that future 64 bit versions of windows will play any 32 bit made game. Not unless Microsoft specifically have a stake in it and ensure it runs.
microsoft have a stake in making sure all software runs, otherwise people won't buy the new OS. What programs did you have issues with? The only ones I've ever had problems with were technically 32-bit, but had 16-bit install/setup programs (16-bit compat doesn't work on 64-bit OS)
apricotslice wrote:
Because it's not a user-level tool. It's mainly for doing a more fine-grained control over the kind of changes that happen when you do "run as if on vista" or similar from a program's properties dialog
Kitty wrote:Given all the very intersting game features, given the fact that X3 was already short on memory, the quesion remains. Egosoft shows us many great ideas in this game. I would find very sad if their creativity were jailed by an old memory limitation.
You've kinda answered your own question ;) They haven't created a version of the game to take advantage of more memory because they still have to target 32-bit systems, and so they can't include any features that would actually require the extra memory.

That being said, I hope the game is LAA, so that if we do have more RAM, the game will do more caching (the OS can cache the files as well, of course, but the in-game cache will be the uncompressed assets)

The only game I know of to have 64-bit binaries - crysis - didn't do so for memory reasons, but to take advantage of 64-bit maths instructions
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”