Wildlife?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

MegaBurn
xr

Wildlife?

Post by MegaBurn » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:32

Space borne wildlife can add a good distraction, more danger to remote asteroid fields, literal monsters, and more. Spaceflies and the creatures XTC added were kind of neat. I have a back burner WIP mod for a "Ferox" (latin for wild) creature using Babylon 5 Shadow XSP ships, including a M5-M4-M3-M6-nest life cycle, spacefly hives/nests (natural Ferox food), and a fungus-like silicon based asteroid growth (natural spacefly food). If wildlife is in Rebirth then more of it should show up as people spread out across solar systems.

Any signs of space wildlife in Rebirth?
Anyone else find this stuff interesting?
Any favorites from other canons?
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

Syock

Re: Wildlife?

Post by Syock » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 14:45

MegaBurn wrote:... more danger to remote asteroid fields ...
Is it just me, or do pirates not seem to fill that role at all in past games.

If we have wildlife, it would be nice if there was a bit of an ecosystem to it as you described. Not just some lone mean critter out there for no reason waiting to kill me. I always found it odd in games and stories how there would be some creature out there that supposedly lives on eating dirt but is a big fast mean predator too.
Will work for food to develop in-game economy.

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:00

The Swarm/Silicoids from the Sword of the Stars game would be a nice addition to some asteroid fields.

I'm not saying copy them, but rather have something similar in concept/design.

Sareth01
x3tc

Post by Sareth01 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:09

lone mean critter out there for no reason waiting to kill me[/quote}

Personally I would enjoy facing one lone evil critter out to get me.

Having a cool space gremlin enemy would add to the game.

It would eat spaceflies! hehe

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 20:17

I hope there is spacy stuff littered in the game like wormholes, nebulas, weird spacy things from start trek and the likes. Not just for visuals but can interact with them and stuff.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 22:42

No space wildlife, please. I found incredible enough the concept of spaceflies, don't add more awkward stuff :-(

Arragoth
x3ap

Post by Arragoth » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 22:59

I allways thought the Boron was the wildlife, but it could be my Inner Split acting up when i hunted them :P

Syock

Post by Syock » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 02:47

Dantrithor wrote:No space wildlife, please. I found incredible enough the concept of spaceflies, don't add more awkward stuff :-(
Never know... there could be some crazy scientist creating creatures that could survive in space. We have had issues with bacteria going to space on stuff we send out.

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 03:09

BBS Report just in: When space flies attack!

Naroku
x3tc

Post by Naroku » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 10:11

How about a randomly created life form that is about the same as two capital ships in toughness. It lurks on the fringe and is cool untill pissed with.
Walk softly and carry a big gun.

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 11:50

Sounds like a "space whale". A StarTrek TNG episode had something similar, most were passive, but a pissed off adult was capable of destroying the Enterprise, though not particularly resistant to phasers. A couple other canons had them too, Babylon 5 maybe, they were heavy into bio-ships...

Spaceflies attacking in certain situations seems plausible, they have enough energy to be useful to the Split, a sudden discharge should have some effect on a ship/station, and large numbers could be dangerous. If their scope was expanded to include a hive then added defensive behavior would be reasonable, probably via kamikaze attacks, like a hybrid of honey bees and drones from Stargate Atlantis.

The "blob" is another example, giant space hearty amoeba, seems as plausible as anything else yet not particularly interesting from a gameplay perspective, unless its food for something bigger...

Syock

Post by Syock » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 12:18

s9ilent wrote:BBS Report just in: When space flies attack!
[ external image ]

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 13:21

Yeah, imagine that on a small ship scale.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”