VR discussion-Done. Now Weapons...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

grbaker
x4

VR discussion-Done. Now Weapons...

Post by grbaker » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 09:41

I notices no really big revelations on the Weapons front... time has passed Shock-wave-generator must be old school...
  • Meteor rail gun (a bit Last Star Fighter-ish).
    Clocked proximity mines.
    EMP Beam Canon (turret disruption)
    Race specialty weapons (like the Boron Ion Disruptor)
    Engine emobilser missile... a pirate's choice of missile.
ohh and defensive newbies like reflect &/or reactive armor coatings, localised hull re-enforcing shields and repair droids could be worth the money.

Speculations people....

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 17:29

True, we have not seen anything on weapons.

I would love a large variety. X3 had some variety, like shield piercing, shield only weapons, but I would like to see more.

-Web missiles (low damage, but slow the target down)
-Combiner (?) drones (like the ones in Freespace 2, where 3 light fighters could combine into a bomber).
-Repulsor waves for cap ships (launches a gravitational wave that does no damage, but pushes fighters and missiles back)
-point defense batteries (low range, low damage, high rate of fire batteries to shoot down missiles. I would make it low accuracy, so missiles/torps are not made obsolete)

And I would like to see a greater difference in weapons. Anti-fighter weapons should fly very fast (giving good accuracy), but do little damage. Anti-capital weapon fire should move slow, but hit real hard.

Cpt.Jericho
x3tc

Post by Cpt.Jericho » Mon, 3. Oct 11, 23:54

caleb wrote:And I would like to see a greater difference in weapons. Anti-fighter weapons should fly very fast (giving good accuracy), but do little damage. Anti-capital weapon fire should move slow, but hit real hard.
:gruebel: Don't we have that now? :gruebel:
Anyway, there is limited info on weapons. Different types of turrets were mentioned: Missle, anti capship and anti fighter turrets. As for fighter/drone weapons I can't remember anything so far, though
Winner of 350 Mil class of X-Verse Fleet Fest Italiano
Boycotting Steam since 2003

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 00:23

caleb wrote: And I would like to see a greater difference in weapons. Anti-fighter weapons should fly very fast (giving good accuracy), but do little damage. Anti-capital weapon fire should move slow, but hit real hard.
I disagree actually. I hated the slow-moving capship weapons in X3 because they look so dull. Capship guns should move fast, but be slow to aim and fairly inaccurate (on a fighter-sized scale anyway) as a balancing factor. So then you'd have capship guns for laying waste to one side of a ship, but if you wanted to be more precise and pick off certain modules you'd either have to move into close range, or send in the fighters.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 04:58

I think raw accuracy or spread is an important characteristic missing from weapons in previous games.

Every single weapon has the same spread, so essentially every weapon has the same accuracy on a round-per-round basis. The only way to simulate spread was to modify the physical size of the projectiles, which needless to say was a very faulty workaround.

I'm really, really hoping that ES added a "spread" property to weapons that can be modified, so you get more variety with weaponry.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 10:27

Spread already exist in TC, it is just not widely used.
IE PRG spread is noticable at range, to the point of some shots missing small targets, despite the bullet speed.
Right on commander !

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 10:32

As I said, that's because the PRG projectile model is significantly smaller than say, the PAC.

The actual spread of every weapon is hard-coded. So no weapon (laser) in the game is 100% accurate, even against a stationary target.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 10:49

It might be hard coded, but not every weapon has the same spread.
I can actually change the bullet size without affecting the spread.
Right on commander !

MegaBurn
xr

Post by MegaBurn » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 11:29

While unlikely, my preference is for unlimited weapons via baseline technologies that are dynamically instanced as individual weapon variants items. Weapons mass produced by NPC's would be standardized for whoever uses them, and presumably part of the canon, so each race military would be consistent but different from each other even if using the same baseline technologies. Players could adapt their variants to their play style, fine tune it to their load out, create precision load outs for specific situations, etc. I think X3TC has a large enough variety of technologies but the dynamics are very weak, it could do so much more with heat, radiation, equipment damage, enemy jamming, adjusted behavior on high vs low energy, gatling mode with linked sets of weapons, multiple weapon energy banks, etc, etc...

If this can be done in RPG's with crafting then why not a space sim? Its not as complicated as it sounds and the faction variants serve as an abstraction layer for novices.

Same for missiles and drone load outs, take it down to the component level for specialization.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -Plato

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 16:02

imperium3 wrote:
caleb wrote: And I would like to see a greater difference in weapons. Anti-fighter weapons should fly very fast (giving good accuracy), but do little damage. Anti-capital weapon fire should move slow, but hit real hard.
I disagree actually. I hated the slow-moving capship weapons in X3 because they look so dull. Capship guns should move fast, but be slow to aim and fairly inaccurate (on a fighter-sized scale anyway) as a balancing factor. So then you'd have capship guns for laying waste to one side of a ship, but if you wanted to be more precise and pick off certain modules you'd either have to move into close range, or send in the fighters.
Ok, this makes sense. Yeah, that's what I want to see. Turret tracking speed included in the game would be good, and yeah, rapid gunfire would definitely look better.

Old X did not have different turret tracking speeds, so gunfire had to be slow to be made inaccurate against fast moving ships. I hope they can include that in XRB.

Geek
Moderator (Français)
Moderator (Français)
x4

Post by Geek » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 16:11

caleb wrote: Old X did not have different turret tracking speeds, so gunfire had to be slow to be made inaccurate against fast moving ships. I hope they can include that in XRB.
Again, that is not entirely true. Turrets move a lot slower when equipped with heavy guns.
Right on commander !

caleb
x3tc

Post by caleb » Tue, 4. Oct 11, 16:14

Really? Wow... I played all 3 X games, and never noticed that :S Then it's probably a given that XRB will have it. Ok, I'll shut up now.

grbaker
x4

Post by grbaker » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 21:01

In X3 it would have been nice on capital ships to have some options around how each bank of guns fired.

Instead of all guns firing at the same target, which is a good option for broadsides at another capital ship, have other options like:
  • Independent targeting - closest target to each gun.
    Priority targeting - missiles, fighters, corvettes, capitals (and be able to flip those around)
    Salvo spread - fire at a single target on gun at a time across the targets path.
    Advanced targeting - Assign a bank its priority targets to fire at when in range by type of gun in the bank.
Just some ideas.... but with the new X-R turrets I hope we have a little more selectable control of the turrets and how they work.

snwboardn21
x4

Post by snwboardn21 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 21:56

grbaker wrote:In X3 it would have been nice on capital ships to have some options around how each bank of guns fired.

Instead of all guns firing at the same target, which is a good option for broadsides at another capital ship, have other options like:
  • Independent targeting - closest target to each gun.
    Priority targeting - missiles, fighters, corvettes, capitals (and be able to flip those around)
    Salvo spread - fire at a single target on gun at a time across the targets path.
    Advanced targeting - Assign a bank its priority targets to fire at when in range by type of gun in the bank.
Just some ideas.... but with the new X-R turrets I hope we have a little more selectable control of the turrets and how they work.
Yea and don't fire X weapon when friendly within Y meters of target, the worst part of owning Cap ships was the steady decrease of notoriety, because of their dumb pilots getting in the way of your fight with Pirates or Xenon
"It is better to keep ones mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt"

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”