Track-IR Support

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

firemane
x4

Track-IR Support

Post by firemane » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 01:26

Hey there...

I wonder if X-R will support the Track IR.

It is something this game could really benefit from.

Come on! Think about it!
Proud owner of all the X games to date!

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 02:51

People have been asking for Track IR support since X2. Egosoft has never done it.

I don't really mind them avoiding it, since Track IR seems to be only truly useful for ultra-realistic/deep flight simulators; combat in X games can be described as arcade-y at best.

In the end Track IR would really only be cosmetic gimmick to Rebirth, and I'd rather have the developers concentrate on something more useful to the game like multi-monitor support first. That said, if Egosoft has the time and resources left over, it would be nice if they could fit it into the game.
Last edited by A5PECT on Wed, 5. Oct 11, 08:20, edited 4 times in total.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Chris0132
xr

Post by Chris0132 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 03:06

It'd make a lot more sense with the immersiveness they're seemingly going for in this iteration though.

Roh81

Post by Roh81 » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 05:59

Hmm. It would have its uses if they plan to make it so the cockpit has functional info outputs. And I think it would be cool. Though I would rather see support geared toward one of the emulators that allows you to use a camera instead of that over prices trackIR

corhen
x3tc

Post by corhen » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 08:15

i hadn't seen this before.. but Please put this in game.. would be an amzing boost to gameplay/immersion
Jovianmoon wrote:
apricotslice wrote:...auto-pillok...
Are we ready to collide with that asteroid?
Yes sir! Engaging auto-pillock!

firemane
x4

Post by firemane » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 15:13

Even for "Arcade combat" and general flying the track IR support would be a welcome addition.

The ability to look all around in a "semi natural" way adds situational awareness and makes control more intuitive.

With the track IR you can look all around and, properly implemented, zoom in and out simply by moving your head.

Klo, think about maneuvers such as manual docking, flying in formation, or fighting. It makes a difference in the way you play. It surely adds to the cosmetics, but it also a functional improvement. You really, really have to try it out. It makes a tremendous difference into any "vehicle" simulation.

In any case, I think it works pretty much like any other controller. It shouldn't be difficult for the guys at Ego to implement it.

Chris, you addressed the issue better than I did. I sure love my X games (I have all of them), and I am for anything adding to the "suspense of disbelief" in them.
Proud owner of all the X games to date!

vuohi
x4

Post by vuohi » Wed, 5. Oct 11, 18:00

I would also like to chime in that I think Track-IR support would be great!

pepperg
x3tc

Post by pepperg » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 23:24

Ditto. TrackIR is awesome.
SeagateBarracuda320GB 7200 SATA
LIANLI PC-7B plus II MidTower
EVGA GeForce8800GTX 768MB
Intel Core2Duo E6600Conroe 2.4GHz
CORSAIR 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
WDRaptor 150GB 10,000 RPM
EVGAnforce SLI 680imobo

mcduke

Will rebirth support Head Tracking

Post by mcduke » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 04:48

Just wondering if Rebirth will support TrackIR from Natural Point? And is there anyway to have co op play in the game? Say, 4, or 6 to maybe 100 players in co op (okay, just kidding about the 100).
It would especially be cool the have a larger ship that you could walk around on and have a crew of 6 with different stations they could sit at: Captains chair (of course), science station, pilot/navigation station, the comm, weapons station (there could be a couple of different gun points on the ship for crew members to sit at, like on the Millennium Falcon). Even have 2 small attached fighter ships that can be detached to use in protection the main ship.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 10:17

I think it depends on how Egosoft are planning to deliver the cockpit and drone VR gameplay elements, head tracking could be really good here.

Personally I would prefer a more open headtracking system like freetrack. NaturalPoint TrackIR might well be the best but its bloody expensive and NP don't seem interested in talking to their customers but they do want to lock you into their product.

A couple of months ago I made a suggestion to the developer of FaceTrackNoIR to contact Egosoft about any interest in head tracking support. Basically Egosoft have to implement a headtracking API for these solutions to work, I suspect that if its not on their development radar now its going to be a wish list item in the months/years ahead.

dphantom
x3

Post by dphantom » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 12:19

Yeah it would probably be a cool gimmick, but is it really worth Egosoft's time (from an economical point of view)? Are there really enough people with the gear, or will it sell significantly more if they support this? Like it was said before, unfortunately the time would be better spent supporting more common things like multi-monitors or perhaps polishing the game.:roll:

Anyway if I interpret correctly I believe you are talking about those systems that use head motion through some apparatus you put on, to control the point of view in game, am I correct?
Don't get me wrong, but isn't it pointless, I mean if you rotate your head you wont be looking directly at your display, and if you have a triple monitor arrangement you can already look to your "side" and see what's going on in game?
Its like those tilt controlled smartphone games, and don't want to tilt my display, I want it as static as possible, and preferably perpendicular to my sight line. :wink:

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 12:38

Already asked in THIS thread.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

onchas

Post by onchas » Fri, 7. Oct 11, 16:25

HOTAS/Pedal and TrackIR would be great for this title.

I've explained this game to a few people in the flight sim community and they pass when they find out that their kit isn't supported.

cnox

Post by cnox » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 03:20

Natural Point has been very hostile towards alternative headtracking implementations.

Don't use TrackIR. Check out any of the alternatives that use the FaceAPI. (google it). FreeTrack and FaceTrackNoIR are 2 awesome projects.

Mordobb

Post by Mordobb » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 03:51

KloHunt3r wrote:People have been asking for Track IR support since X2. Egosoft has never done it.

I don't really mind them avoiding it, since Track IR seems to be only truly useful for ultra-realistic/deep flight simulators; combat in X games can be described as arcade-y at best.

In the end Track IR would really only be cosmetic gimmick to Rebirth, and I'd rather have the developers concentrate on something more useful to the game like multi-monitor support first. That said, if Egosoft has the time and resources left over, it would be nice if they could fit it into the game.
Thats your poor opinion sir...
The poor judgement of someone that has never used one and cannot understand its benefits in many situations.

Mordobb

Post by Mordobb » Fri, 28. Oct 11, 04:04

KloHunt3r wrote:People have been asking for Track IR support since X2. Egosoft has never done it.

You couldn t be more wrong Track ir is used in Shooters, racing sim flight sims, space sim, anywhere looking around make a diference.

Anyway if a game developed by one men only called Evochron Mercenaries support it, i guess Egosoft people can make it too.

I wonder why some people, not directed at you personally, always wan t to leave games at the stone ages of peripherals.
And unfortunatly X-team seem to be of that kind, i really hope it changes with X-R.

knightdriver353
x3tc

Post by knightdriver353 » Tue, 1. Nov 11, 13:22

Just thought I'd put my vote in here also. TrackIR would be a great addition to the game.

I think that those who invest in devices like these are the ones who will help with the longevity of games like this as they want to get the return on their investment and full possible enjoyment from their hobies.

s9ilent
x4

Post by s9ilent » Thu, 10. Nov 11, 03:49

@knightdriver353
b.t.w Where did you get TrackIR in AUS? (I'd probably buy one if I could find it in a Brick and mortar store, I'm not huge on credit cars/online ordering)

Treelor
x4

Post by Treelor » Fri, 11. Nov 11, 05:06

AFAIK, FaceTrackNoIR has the ability to pretend to be TrackIR. At least, so it did the last time I tried to use it. Of course I told it to spoof FreeTrack instead, since that what I had set up at the moment, but ES shouldn't have to specifically support FaceAPI for that particular alternative tracking method.

amacdonald
x3

Post by amacdonald » Fri, 11. Nov 11, 09:53

I wasn't convinced that head tracking would be anything more than a gimmick until I spent and evening and £6 (including webcam!) building a FreeTrack hat. The difference it makes to any kind of supported driving or flying game is incredible and I couldn't imagine playing either without it now.

XR would need cockpits though - without a fixed visual reference point you'd never be able to fly straight!

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”