General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 00:14

KloHunt3r wrote:
All players want is to fight in a game not build of have thousands of objects to track type of game at all just a mp map a ship and a scoreboard for dogfights using the x games gfx.
Speak for yourself. If there is going to be a multiplayer X game, I want all or nothing. I not only want to fight with and against my friends, I want to be able to compete and co-operate economically and politically. If I can't get that level of multifariousness then there's no point in making X multiplayer; just create a new IP and build that from scratch.
me too, i dont just want a stripped down combat game.
there are plenty of shoot em up multiplayer games, if it was going to multiplayer, i would prefer the complete game, multiple people all owning fleets of ships, stations, etc.

but id much prefer more focus on the single player game first, to many games are relying on multiplayer now, i just like to play single player games where i can rule the world, not have to compete with everyone else.

i've played my share of MMO's, and other multiplayer games, but i like to play good single player games as well

a6214622

Post by a6214622 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 00:29

CBJ wrote:With all due respect, things have changed a bit since 2001.
Yes, I'm sure they have. With DirectPlay receiving a major streamlining overhaul in DirectX 8 and dozens of new middleware libraries eliminating the need to re-invent the wheel in network coding, it became so difficult to implement basic multiplayer that nearly other game that comes out on the market, including such AAA-budget giants like Minecraft, Terraria, Torchlight II, E.Y.E, Men of War, FarmVille, or RuneScape, has one.
Mightysword wrote: ^ so basically you want a "strip downed" version of the game for the MP? Then I have to ask, what's the point? If you're only interested in the "shoot them up" with no string attached then play those games you listed. It's like saying "I want an X MP game, but it doesn't have to be like the real X", which make no sense to me.
I know you wasn't talking to me, but I just want to note that even with a basic henchman system of co-op players basically being remotely controlled copies of the main player, co-players could also buy, sell, transport, participate in story missions, upgrade ships, initiate and complete secondary missions, and pretty much do almost everything SP players currently can. The experience would be stripped down only from the point that the all players would have to be part of a single team/fleet/empire, and possibly that some of the key plot-related decisions could only be taken by one of the players, most likely the team's leader, the game's host.

Although this idea of slightly unequal partnership may not sound that appealing, it's been used by dozens of popular titles, and it can be perfect for parents and children, players with different skill levels, or pretty much anyone who can play together as part of a team. It also would certainly be much better than current nothing. And it still wouldn't be that expensive or difficult to implement.

Back to lurking.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 00:51

a6214622 wrote:Yes, I'm sure they have. With DirectPlay receiving a major streamlining overhaul in DirectX 8 and dozens of new middleware libraries eliminating the need to re-invent the wheel in network coding, it became so difficult to implement basic multiplayer that nearly other game that comes out on the market, including such AAA-budget giants like Minecraft, Terraria, Torchlight II, E.Y.E, Men of War, FarmVille, or RuneScape, has one.
Low level network code is not, and never has been, the issue. And you can list as many completely unrelated titles as you like; it won't change the fact that multiplayer for this type of game is a non-trivial exercise, which has so far not been supported by the funding that would be needed to make it viable.

I'm really struggling to understand why you feel the need to argue over this simple statement of fact, or for that matter why you think I would be lying about it. I'm therefore going to leave the discussion at this point, as I don't think there is anything to be gained from continuing.

Saber15
x4

Post by Saber15 » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 01:25

No multiplayer in Rebirth, but judging by the changes in gameplay (No SETA), it'd be possible to have multiplayer at some point in the future between the current date and the end of the time. :P

Syock

Post by Syock » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 01:29

Saber15 wrote:No multiplayer in Rebirth, but judging by the changes in gameplay (No SETA), it'd be possible to have multiplayer at some point in the future between the current date and the end of the time. :P
Based on every Ego response I have seen on this topic, they want to go MMO or nothing. Nothing is likely to win out until they make some blockbuster cash cow of a game to precede it. There is no sense arguing with them about it.
Will work for food to develop in-game economy.

Skid
x4

Post by Skid » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 01:34

Creating a basic multiplayer, like every other game out there, yer that would be easy. Each player, 1 ship, 1 zone, no problem. However it stops being an X game is you do this because you remove Explore, Build and trade from the game the other 3 main components. If this really is the type of multi-player you want, then your playing the wrong game.

When most people in this forum say they would love a multi-player version of the X games, then mean that literally, they would love to play around in the whole X universe with their friends. Or fight over the whole universe with their enermys. That however would require a crap load of effort to code and test.

For a game that is sold on its single player world, sure a multiplayer would be cool, but that's not why most people get this game. As such, as is said in the FAQ, due to the size of Egosoft they just don't have the resources to code that size of sub element to the game.
:) Skid :)
"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 02:01

Sorry but i have to disagree. First of all this is a new type of gameplay this isnt like the old x games anymore which i am so thankful for.

Now, I want the build fight think etc for the sp part only. For the mp part i want to fight mates with the nice gfx of the x games in dogfights (dont say play freelancer or some rubbish because you know full well i couldn't play with the gfx of the x engine that way). This is the mp part of the x games which will attract new players. If i just wanted dogfights i could use other games but then i wouldn't have the nice ships and gfx of the x engine would I?

If you wanting mp but of the style of sp then you not going to get it because that would require alot more work and might as well be a mmo for which i have no interest as their would be eve online or star trek online or star wars online or black prophecy sure some aspects wont be in that x has but who cares they would be better mmos as if x turned into a mmo it would be far too boring and slow to enjoy. Eve-online already pushes many peoples limits.

A simple dogfight mp action mode added on to the game so ppl can fight each other with the cool ships that is in the recent x games would be nice.

And no i wouldn't be losing out on build, fight trade, think because the sp game would have all that, the mp experience would be separate from the gameplay of the sp. So no way would anyone lose anything you would only gain a new gameplay mode which could be enjoyed by the more casual player base which is out there.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

Inauxas

Post by Inauxas » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 02:49

This thread is bad and you should feel bad.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 14:24

A very simple multi player mode would be fun. And it would be easier to develop than full multi player. But even if it only took one days coding (it would obviously take significantly more than that), I doubt it would bring in enough new sales to cover its cost. People will not buy a game for a little cut down extra mode you can play!

The reason Egosoft keep looking to MMO when people talk about multi payer is not because it is what they think people want or what they want to develop. It's because it's the only form of multi player that brings in extra revenue beyond the extra sales. And the extra sales are not likely to be sufficient to balance the increased development costs...

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Thu, 6. Oct 11, 20:07

The only multiplayer mode that will work at first and whould be the easily to impement is the cooperative gameplay(maybe a typical 4-player coop mode), any pvp mode is just a bad idea, because it need a lot of extra work balancing stuff, fixing hacks, etc...

Myrmedon

Post by Myrmedon » Sun, 9. Oct 11, 05:21

I would love to see a MP or MMO version of the game, but the devs bring up a very good point - the opportunity cost.

X fans on this forum, i assume, enjoy the SP experience and pour countless hours into it. I know whenever I play, I enjoy my time. I have to side with the majority - keep improving the SP, keep us happy, we'll keep buying.

My two cents.

Myrmedon

PS: What ever happened to Freelancer? I enjoyed that game too, the MP component couldn't have brought down the game, could it??

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 15:06

Texhnolyzed
x3tc

Post by Texhnolyzed » Mon, 10. Oct 11, 16:08

I doubt that the "Vanilla" game will feature a multiplayer mode, but if the modding capabilities are improved enough, I can certainly see a multiplayer mod being made for it. I for one would appreciate it.

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 20:01

There you have it. Bernd himself said there will likely be Multiplayer support in the future for XR in the Poll thread. Here is the link for your convenience

Bernd's quote with irrelevant stuffs removed:
Bernd wrote:
- In the long run it can help us integrating multiplayer features without having to provide our own platform. Right from the start, we know people can chat and discuss from inside the game.

-Bernd

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 20:26

VincentTH wrote:Bernd himself said there will likely be Multiplayer support in the future for XR
Not really he didn't. He just said Steam would help integrating it. Didn't say they were going to need that help and he referred (as in your quote) to chat and things like that - implication of multi-player, but no actual statement saying "we are going to put multi-player into X:R"...

Tim

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 20:29

perkint wrote:
VincentTH wrote:Bernd himself said there will likely be Multiplayer support in the future for XR
Not really he didn't. He just said Steam would help integrating it. Didn't say they were going to need that help and he referred (as in your quote) to chat and things like that - implication of multi-player, but no actual statement saying "we are going to put multi-player into X:R"...

Tim
That's why there is a Likely qualifier in my statement. MP is a feature that they may implement, at least XR is designed so that MP is possible. (Removing of SETA, single player ship are the 2 features that would allow MP).

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Tue, 11. Oct 11, 21:49

Sorry - my post was more negative and more pedantic than I meant it to be...

Bernd didn't say multi-player was likely. He stated nothing about it being likely, He just said Steam makes it easier to include multiplayer features. He didn't follow it with anything even hinting whether they would or would not use that functionality. But by even mentioning it, considering how guarded he has been with what he's said in the past, suggests it is likely.

SETA was never a huge issue (easy to remove). Single playership doesn't really matter one way or another. The issue has always been that it's too expensive to put into an existing engine. Hopefully the new engine has been designed with it in mind and there have been a couple of hints (the one you quoted being the most blatant) that it's coming.

But, we'll have to wait and see :p

Tim

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”