[X3TC] Missile for M6 to bring down M7

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

estevesbk

[X3TC] Missile for M6 to bring down M7

Post by estevesbk » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 21:43

Hello! :)

So, the Pirate Carrack seems to be one of the most terrible M7 to bring down. I've tried bringing heavy missiles like the Firestorm Torpedo, but their turrets either bring me down or destroy the missile before reaching it... So, what kind of Commonwealth Missile do you recommend on mounting on an M6 to bring down this devil's instrument of destruction? ;)

Thanks!
Last edited by estevesbk on Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 21:49

If you are not bothered by cost? Typhoon missile. followed by Tempest or Thunderbolt
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 21:54

Or perhaps get in below 10KM use cheap Wasps to distract the turrets then use heavier missiles to bring it down. All those Wasps seem to increase the chance of the heavier missiles getting through. Or that is how it seemed to be. :)

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 21:57

Skism wrote:If you are not bothered by cost? Typhoon missile. followed by Tempest or Thunderbolt
Let's say that almost any cost pays for bringing a Carrack down... ;)

I've used to do it on a Springblossom, but I haven't finished the Terran Plot on my recent game yet... Thanks I'll give it a try! ;)

greypanther wrote:Or perhaps get in below 10KM use cheap Wasps to distract the turrets then use heavier missiles to bring it down. All those Wasps seem to increase the chance of the heavier missiles getting through. Or that is how it seemed to be. :)
Thanks! ;)

Problem is that the different speeds seem to need you to calculate very well the timing of what to launch what,,,

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:02

Not necessarily so, Wasps are cheap, launch in groups of three, then the heavy, rinse and repeat. The wasp does not instant hit, which leaves a lot of missiles out there. Remember also that the Wasp is swarm. Worked for me anyway. Are you playing TC or AP? Only asking because missile defence is much better in AP. :)

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:06

greypanther wrote:Not necessarily so, Wasps are cheap, launch in groups of three, then the heavy, rinse and repeat. The wasp does not instant hit, which leaves a lot of missiles out there. Remember also that the Wasp is swarm. Worked for me anyway. Are you playing TC or AP? Only asking because missile defence is much better in AP. :)
Ok thanks I'll give it a try! ;)

I'm playing TC, sorry... Updated Topic's Subject now :)

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:08

The Typhoon is an excellent missile - in fact every commonwealth capital I have ever owned I put Typhoon and wasps on it gotta love swarm missiles. although enemy counter shots destroy several missiles of a Typhoon wave - Personally I would advise using both unless you are prepared to mass spam typhoons - nothing survives that not unless you have absolute hordes of khaak

it is quite a good technique Greypanther describes - I would suggest hornets as your companion in that case.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:16

Just used the Typhoons... Beautiful! :D

Brought down that damn Carrack... Can I manufacture these? ;)

Edit: Just saw that I can...
Good... Good... :twisted:
Last edited by estevesbk on Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:18

Yes you can and I agree with Skism, they are the ones I use most along with Hornets and Wasps. :)

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Wed, 30. Jan 13, 22:21

Well, it took me some hundreds of credits... But nothing is more beautiful than these damn Carracks blowing up! ;)

Next time I'll try using Wasps too... Make a Complex manufacturing both... Or just wait for my Springblossom! ^_^

Tohron
x3tc

Post by Tohron » Thu, 31. Jan 13, 06:10

Cost-wise, you can't beat the Tornado Missiles - 400K damage over 8 separate warheads, for about 10K credits. They don't turn though (the 8 submunitions fire sequentially), so you'll need to aim carefully and be reasonably close to your target, but there's much less worry about them being shot down before they arrive.

Plus, if you like humiliation value, the Mistral Freighter can fire them - nothing like killing a capital ship with a TS.

Lone Jedi
x3tc

Post by Lone Jedi » Thu, 31. Jan 13, 07:31

If you care about missile hit rate, Tempest is the best choice.
I live in my Vidar.

Laser hit efficiency: 97% @190,499 shots
Missile hit efficiency: 97% @4,204 missiles fired

Rhox
x4

Post by Rhox » Thu, 31. Jan 13, 11:38

If you don't bother using a weakness in the game code, I have another strategy:
Spoiler
Show
Using SETA turns off the turret commands of every ship. Therefore, you could launch the firestorms and simply put on SETA. Then look closely at the ship as many missiles travelling under SETA have a tendency not to hit the target when they're there, but instead circle around the ship. Once you see that circling, turn SETA off. The missiles should now be near enough to hit the ship the moment you turn SETA off.
Otherwise, you should go with Typhoon missiles.

best regards,
Rhox
"Warnung: Frachtraum ist.....Frachtraum enthält nun: Khaak Zerstörer" -"Cool!"

http://www.seizewell.de - die ultimative deutsche Ressource zur X-Reihe
http://www.x-lexikon.xibo.at -ein deutsches Wiki zur X-Reihe

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Fri, 1. Feb 13, 02:23

estevesbk wrote:....Problem is that the different speeds seem to need you to calculate very well the timing of what to launch what,,,
This is why using such a tactic is so rewarding! Calculating missile speeds, ranges and how fast different flights of missiles will overtake your target is one of your jobs as a seasoned combat commander! :D

It's a very rewarding gameplay experience, in my opinion. Whenever I do this succesfully, and I always try to, I get a big rush knowing that through my knowledge of weapons systems, I was able to get a kill. It wasn't that I simply "pushed a button" and "ship go boom!" The far more rewarding experience is calculating that sort of thing while your avoiding enemy fire and then seeing it pay off with a huge "ship go boom!"

We can all be Captain Ramius!

snowman001
x4

Post by snowman001 » Fri, 1. Feb 13, 13:29

Hornets, typhoons and wasps are the only missiles i produce - if ya can't kill it with them you need an M7M with flails/hammers

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Fri, 1. Feb 13, 13:51

Carrack has 2gj shield, which is only a double of a katana.
To bring down two katanas, Mamba vanguard is enough.
So get mamba and save before attempting.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Fri, 1. Feb 13, 16:34

How does the shield recharge rate of Carrack compare to that of Katana?

Can one launch an FS without a target? If yes, then they won't see it coming. Computing firing solution is an easy "exploit" too.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

estevesbk

Post by estevesbk » Sat, 2. Feb 13, 19:51

Tohron wrote:Plus, if you like humiliation value, the Mistral Freighter can fire them - nothing like killing a capital ship with a TS.
I love the humiliation value! :)

This Pirate Carrack seems to be getting on my nerves... Tough ship to kill. It took me some time to figure out how to to that on a Springblossom (Using Ammo-Based Weapons was THE choice back then)

Anything a Discoverer can fire too? :roll:

Thanks @Rhox but as much as I want them to be destroyed, I'm not comfortable to use this "exploit"... But I'll keep that in mind, always good to know! ;)

Morkonan wrote:
estevesbk wrote:....Problem is that the different speeds seem to need you to calculate very well the timing of what to launch what,,,
This is why using such a tactic is so rewarding! Calculating missile speeds, ranges and how fast different flights of missiles will overtake your target is one of your jobs as a seasoned combat commander! :D

It's a very rewarding gameplay experience, in my opinion. Whenever I do this succesfully, and I always try to, I get a big rush knowing that through my knowledge of weapons systems, I was able to get a kill. It wasn't that I simply "pushed a button" and "ship go boom!" The far more rewarding experience is calculating that sort of thing while your avoiding enemy fire and then seeing it pay off with a huge "ship go boom!"

We can all be Captain Ramius!
Wow that's a nice movie, I'll watch! :)

You're making an excellent point... I think I was just too eager to bring down the Carrack... My hatred blinded me, shame on me! :cry:

I remember when it was the first time I brought down a M7 using a M3 firing on its blind spot... Having to match always the heading and the speed to not get out of the blind spot. A little too quick and I would crash into it. A little too slow and the turrets would get me. Seeing that thing explode later was one of the most rewarding experiences I had on X3! ;)

(But it was a Xenon Q, not a Carrack... I think the Xenon Q was sent by the devil to annoy us OOS but the Carrack was sent to annoy us IS)

snowman001 wrote:Hornets, typhoons and wasps are the only missiles i produce - if ya can't kill it with them you need an M7M with flails/hammers
Thanks, I will focus my Complexes on them...

And thank you all guys for the hints! ;)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”