Woot!! Just purchased! .. Maybe steams not so bad...

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

PromX
x4

Post by PromX » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:27

Im so hoping this game is worth the fricking 50€.

kuplo
x3tc

Post by kuplo » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:27

flaicher wrote:I've used this little program for moving Steam games from/to SSD/HDD. http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover
Thanks, makes it really simple to move from the HDD to the SDD when I want that little extra loading boost.

cosmo666

Post by cosmo666 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:33

yeah, or make junctions manually in windows. though the gui aid sure is welcome.
still, it's hardly great customer experience when you need to employ 3rd party sollutions. couldn't you just install where you wanted and then add the links to steam so it can make a library of them? it couldn't have been that hard. ah well. x-rebirth is the only game i'm biting the steam bullet for. i'll just think of it as another of egosoft's quirks :D

danskmacabre
x3tc

Post by danskmacabre » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:35

outlawgb wrote:steam is aa good thing revived alot of the pc gaming companys was life line for some of the smaller ones

Agreed, that is most definitely a big Pro for Steam

kuplo
x3tc

Post by kuplo » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:36

Haysand wrote:
BlackDemon wrote: Also you CAN install or move steam games onto other drives now, they added that feature in a few months (i think) ago. Just check through the settings or properties on a game in your library, I can't remember where they hid the option :)
You can move the game folder, not games individually.
You can choose which drive to install on, you don't have to move the "whole" common folder and the individual game subfolders.

There are however some games that don't support this for one reason or another and then you are not given the choice when you install a game through steam to pick where you want it installed.

You can also basically have unlimited amounts of steam folders to install your games, so I could have something like

D:\SteamGames on D\
D:\My Favorite Steam Games\

F:\More Steam Games\

etc. etc. etc.

I've looked through all the options but failed to find anything in Steam that would allow me to "move" game installations from one drive to another, so I just delete the game content and reinstall from Steam onto the drive and into the folder where I want them. Even though my Internet speed is capped at something like 6.8MB, it's not so bad to re-download games to get them installed onto the drive where I want them since my SSD drive is only 185GB and my other drives are all 1 and 2 TB drives.
Last edited by kuplo on Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.

danpaul88
x4

Post by danpaul88 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:37

CutterJohn1 wrote: For myself.. The biggest con I can think of for steam is the complete lack of a refund mechanism, and inability to determine which drive my games are going to be installed to.
Actually, you can pick where to install games. Other than the default location (which is set via the global settings dialog) you can install individual games to different locations by changing the Install To setting in the install dialogs. They added this a few months ago

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”