Who has allready bought it but doesn't want it any more?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Do you still want it?

I bought and still want to play
93%
I haven't bought and no longer want to buy it
4%
I bought but no longer want to play.
3%

Total votes: 195

WedgeA

Post by WedgeA » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:33

I'm basing my speculation on what seems to me the current trend with high end PC franchises eg. Total War and Eldar Scrolls to name a few.

It's a poor business model for developers to rely on the goodwill of the dedicated modding community to make up shortfalls in a game. Sooner or later it alienates fans.

Developers trying to attract casual gamers makes business sense but shouldn't (in a perfect world) be at the detriment to the content and artform of their medium.

Just being a purist, I guess.
Ad Astra

Haysand
x4

Post by Haysand » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:36

WedgeA wrote:I'm basing my speculation on what seems
Ah, so you just got no reasoning, just your..."feelings"...

Maziou
x4

Post by Maziou » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:39

DaMuncha wrote:... since I'm going out dancing all night...
This made me lol

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:41

WedgeA wrote:It's a poor business model for developers to rely on the goodwill of the dedicated modding community to make up shortfalls in a game. Sooner or later it alienates fans.
It is only as poor as the main playerbase thinks about it. And it is actually the players that want it this way, no matter how the mainstream works. Coming in here to complain about something that's pretty much the very heart of the X community without knowing such just sounds... odd, to say the least.

Oh, and... since you obviously must be new: Welcome to the X games ! ;)

WedgeA

Post by WedgeA » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:54

It is only as poor as the main playerbase thinks about it. And it is actually the players that want it this way, no matter how the mainstream works.

Oh, and... since you obviously must be new: Welcome to the X games ! ;)[/quote].

That's just it. I used to think that half finished games lacking features and sometimes being downright unplayable was unintentional eg. Due to lack of resources, technology being underdeveloped or just tight turnaround times.

But the scary thought is that unfinished/inadequate games are deliberately published by some developers.

Think about it, only 1/100 gamers will stick with X:Rebirth beyond the first dozen or two hours and find any deep problems with the game structure or playability. Only hardcore fans will feel the lack when they come upon an aspect of the game that is broken or unplayable.

So, does it make business sense for a developer to actually published a finished/unbroken game?

ps. You're quite correct that that comments the about X:Rebirth are rather speculative at the moment. I am merely making observations about recent trends with big name franchises in PC gaming.

At tge end of the day, I'll buy this game, same as you guys. It's just my inner cynic giving vent (was hit hard by Rome 2. Thank God I didn't buy).
Last edited by WedgeA on Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:01, edited 2 times in total.
Ad Astra

Haysand
x4

Post by Haysand » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:56

WedgeA wrote: So, does it make business sense for a developer to actually published a finished/unbroken game?
As much as it makes sense to pull out numbers and theories out of your nose :-P

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:03

WedgeA wrote:So, does it make business sense for a developer to actually published a finished/unbroken game?
Paired with outstanding game support and continued development this makes as much sense as the fanbase likes it. And there for sure was no lack of such - no matter how much you try to badmouth a successful and proven concept of a developer working with its fans just because it differs from your mainstream expectations.

Or to be more factual: I prefer a game that gets out rather unpolished and fixed right away plus developed over time. This is unlike most titles out there that get out with tons of bugs that never get fixed while promised new content is either never coming, is crappy or just outrageous expensive.

My advice to you: Coming to a game with a different philosophy, it makes sense that you absorb some of it and actually try the game's quality before complaining in an utmost religious way. You know, there's more than one way to handle things...

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:04

WedgeA wrote:It's a poor business model for developers to rely on the goodwill of the dedicated modding community to make up shortfalls in a game. Sooner or later it alienates fans.
people are creative. They really don't need something you would call "finished and complete product". They want "fun". It's not the same. Giving away platform and tools to create can really be enough. And the main game can be merely demo of what can be done.

Kai101m5
x3tc

Re: Who has allready bought it but doesn't want it any more?

Post by Kai101m5 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:22

DaMuncha wrote:With all the information we have found now, we've learned that this isnt the X4 we were after, and that has left some of us a little sore. So who pre ordered the game but no longer wants to play it after hearing about the changes to the series?
rofmao - Rebirth vs X4 ...

...you didn't think the clue was in the title 'Rebirth' ?!? It's very subtle I know, but still.

Yeah, I have ordered Rebirth and I sure as hell want to play it. I say this as someone who bought X:BTF in Virgin Megastores in 1998.

Bloody noobs.

Noimageavaiable
x3ap

Post by Noimageavaiable » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:42

Kai101m5 wrote:I say this as someone who bought X:BTF in Virgin Megastores in 1998.

Bloody noobs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X:_Beyond_the_Frontier
Release date(s) 1 July 1999
Cool story, bro

Kai101m5
x3tc

Post by Kai101m5 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 11:51

Noimageavaiable wrote:
Kai101m5 wrote:I say this as someone who bought X:BTF in Virgin Megastores in 1998.

Bloody noobs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X:_Beyond_the_Frontier
Release date(s) 1 July 1999
Cool story, bro

oh dear...

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”