X Rebirth Multiplayable?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Sahvion
x3tc

Post by Sahvion » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 01:33

Why the insult?
Its a simple known fact by the gaming community that games that have a multiplayer option have more succes, also with a coop mode.
Ummm, very untrue =\

I for one, hope this game 'never' gets Multiplayer.

SparvieroGed
x4

Post by SparvieroGed » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 01:49

I hope to see multiplayer in X Rebirth.

First way

I go with my Albion Shunk and my Crew in the another player's universe (all the universe is laid down by his single game ). We can do everythings together. Fight, Build, Explore, ecc.
Then I leave the game and the other player continues to play in single in his universe ( that we changed together ), instead I come back to my universe with more or less money ( maybe I boarded a ship and i sold it, but then i had to repair my albion shulk ecc...).
In the same way, other players can come in my universe, change it, and then leave eventualy with their profits.

Second way

Two or more players join together in a special multiplayer sector. They can carry their fleet and fight each other. Can be a high number of settings about this:
- settings about the power of the fleets ( to balance the fight )
- settings about the final goal of the battle ( conquer the station in the middle of the sector, mine 5000 crystal ore and carry them at the player station so you have to defend your mining ship and you station, ecc )
- And if I lost a ship...I lost it also in the single player or not?

Third way

Every player ( in this example we have 10 players ) selects a sector of his universe and joins the multiplayer game. A new universe is born from the union of the 10 sectors. If player one select a sector with three station e twenty ship...they will be also in te multiplayer universe.
In the game the players trade, fight, ecc.
At the end every player come back to his universe, carry the sector ( choosed at the start ) changed by the multiplayer game.

I don't know if I can explain my self with my poor english XD

ragamer
x4

Post by ragamer » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 11:49

First of all... To all ppl saying "X's games doesn't need MP capabilities to improve gameplay"... Well...

...All of you, remember each time you had sweared when the AI does something "stupid"?, When it fails to comply with your orders? Heck... When you even lack the right order to issue?...

...Well, think what could happen on EACH of those situations if the "entity" behind was a real player.

Second, for the ppl that WANTS A X MMO RIGHT NAOH!!!

To support a MMO you need to design a kind of gameplay that allows anonymous players to cohexist together, on top of an expensive server infrastructure to support EACH player FULL RANGE of activities. Simple SP issues like "who owns this structure"? Who decides what's built and when? How you restrict information so each player can enjoy exploration? How you balance latency on competitive scenarios? Require full replanning when attempted by multiple players at the same time.

The above questions (and linked solutions) require a redesign of the gameplay... Certainly can be X on space, but, besides visualization, you have to create a whole new set of "server rules" to deal with a lot of players EACH EXPECTING A FULL X GAME EXPERIENCE.

Sorry for the caps but I want to highlight what distinguishes a MMO from a multiplayer game... The scope of actions EACH player can expect to do.

And thirdly, for the ppl that wants to share their game with others

This are the realistic target audience for a "X multiplayer experience". You may think that replacing "stupid AI" by a player connected remotely to your game is easy...

...Definitively easier than allowing each player to be a full one but...

...What about universe mirroring? What each player will perceive? How to update regularly a Universe that needs 8GB of memory to run smoothly to EACH player involved in the session?...

...I'm not saying can't be done (Elite Dangerous precissely offers this, but their "Universe" is much simpler than X's one) but...

...Creating a way for the "host" to describe the Universe correctly to each player requires a design phase on how to "incrementaly" communicate Universe changes to all players (ie "multiplayer protocol") that clearly is not needed for the SP game.

In any case, at least this time, MP is not automatically banned by the basic gameplay of XR:

- SETA is gone as a "travelling speed booster", replaced by the MP friendly "highways".

- SECTOR concept is gone and replaced by "smooth transitions" between zones.

What the future will bring? Who knows... But at least this time, the new engine allows us to keep on dreaming.
Last edited by ragamer on Thu, 14. Nov 13, 12:28, edited 1 time in total.

Shadow-Maiden
x3ap

Re: X Rebirth Multiplayable?

Post by Shadow-Maiden » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 11:59

Came to forum for this weeks "will X be multiplayer?" thread

Did not leave disappointed.

Also, EvE Online that way ----->

Ericius11
x3tc

Post by Ericius11 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 13:52

Slajfer wrote:Being a single player game in this day and age of nearly everything going multiplayer can be looked at as an advantage too [by some at least].

I can understand some people wanting co-op, but isn't success of multiplayer usually driven by competitive component? Isn't it a little questionable how much extra interest would co-op alone generate?
I disagree. Sandbox games (for me at least) can be a lot more fun when you have someone playing WITH you. IF we were to get multiplayer - and I"m not saying I would want it - the only kind of multiplayer I would have ANY interest in is co-op. If we went to an MMO, I would stop playing these kind of games. *shrugs* They're not inherently bad, I just don't like them.
"By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain."
H. G. Wells

Halconnen
x3tc

Post by Halconnen » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 14:21

Honestly, I'm more of a social, multiplayer gamer. I usually play games together with or against friends.

I have a heavily modded Minecraft server hosted at Hetzner, for example. Usually, when I play by myself, I get bored relatively quickly and start doing something productive instead. Heh. But with 3-5 friends on there it's great fun.

The X series games is one of the notable exceptions that I have sunk hours and hours into, but even back in X-Tension times, barely an hour has passed where I didn't think "Boy, I wish I could play this with 1-3 of my friends right now."

Of course, I wouldn't want an MMO. The redesign necessary there would obviously turn things into a completely different game. But 4-8 player multiplayer would hardly require any drastic changes to the overall experience, no matter if the players play part of the 'same' company or if they play 'against' each other. In fact, having another player controlled faction waging economic PvP on you could be pretty interesting, too.

The total engine rewrite for Rebirth was Egosoft's chance to design a game at least with optional multiplayer capability in mind, given the old one was utterly unsuited to it. I'm a bit sad that they didn't actually make it happen.

Be it Terraria, Serious Sam, Minecraft, or even something as ridiculous as Farming Simulator 2013. They're all games that function fine singleplayer, and offer a virtually unchanged experience when you play with other people. 'cept you get to share the crowning moments of awesome with friends.

I don't understand why people would be opposed to that.

TheRealBix
x4

Post by TheRealBix » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 16:08

I'd really really love to see, one day, a way to play with someone else.
Like said above, another skunk that connect to my universe. In that way we can share missions and goals.

My brother will not buy this game because he won't be able to play with me in local, in the same universe. He didn't even played other X's, but because Egosoft have done great job on these, he bought the X complete pack.

In theory, I think it should be possible! Devs said that the universe can run alone, that we are just a disturbing element in the universe.

bobolin

Post by bobolin » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 18:47

1 ship and no MP ! THIS IS NOT COMPETITION ! Who will have bigger guns ! Will be my world I dont care what people will do in their game but no fkn american fatty Mc Donnalds generation kid will spoil my fun. I prefer to play at my own pace. Just find another table to sing kiddos!

Ericius11
x3tc

Post by Ericius11 » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 19:14

bobolin wrote:no fkn american fatty Mc Donnalds generation kid will spoil my fun.
Statements like this make me weep for humanity. I agree that in many MMO's there seem to be an unfortunate number of... less-than-pleasant individuals who can ruin the game for everyone (Griefers in Minecraft for example). But do we really need to stereotype them?

An intriguing thought... if a Co-op were implemented, would we have two or three Albion Skunks flying around? With two or three Yisha's piloting each? That seem kind of immersion breaking to me.
"By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain."
H. G. Wells

Aragosnat
x4

Post by Aragosnat » Thu, 14. Nov 13, 21:24

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:Impossible for anyone to answer, apart from developers and those under Non-Disclosure Agreement.

The modders who know what rebirth is capable of are under NDA until launch, and the others will only be making educated guesses at best.

My guess: HIGHLY unlikely.
Don't under value modders. They say Elderscroll: Morrowind and KSP would be not be multiplay. But, they both have mods for it. I don't think. Unlikely. But, when will they find the way. -cracks whip- :twisted:

While I enjoy single player a lot for the going at my own pace. I can see where it would be fun to have just your friends and not some random stranger (not always the case they are out to grief you) playing with you.
Chain Maille Armor
Profitzz
May this spacefly bother you.
[ external image ]
TC: 32+ Squidie (Steam DiD) deaths and counting since around June 18, 2012.

Halconnen
x3tc

Post by Halconnen » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 08:53

Ericius11 wrote:An intriguing thought... if a Co-op were implemented, would we have two or three Albion Skunks flying around? With two or three Yisha's piloting each? That seem kind of immersion breaking to me.
Obviously, the storyline around the Skunk likely doesn't make much sense in multiplayer, unless only one player gets the Skunk and the others get other ships (without Yisha?!)

But if it's sandbox only, why not?
bobolin wrote:no fkn american fatty Mc Donnalds generation kid will spoil my fun.
And this is ridiculous. You don't play games like this like COD, with random battle lobbies matching you with people you don't know. You generally control who gets onto your server, and if you let strangers on, effing your own fault.

What's so hard to get about that?

Daisai
x4

Post by Daisai » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 12:03

Sahvion wrote:
Why the insult?
Its a simple known fact by the gaming community that games that have a multiplayer option have more succes, also with a coop mode.
Ummm, very untrue =\

I for one, hope this game 'never' gets Multiplayer.
Then its probably news to you , but that is true.
There are plenty of games which have became the games they are because of multiplayer, also the gaming community has become this big because of multiplayer.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 12:09

That's probably why Skyrim and it's predecessors were an utter fail on the market.

Sorry, but simplifying like that will not make your statement true. That'd be like saying "Billions of flies can't be wrong, s-hit must be tasty!".

I'd rather look at the circumstances of a certain game. And obviously - since XR is #1 on any sales charts - the multiplayer cannot be as important for the target audience as you claim it to be.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”