Is there any reason to play Albion Prelude before launching X-Rebirth ?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Need to play Albion Prelude before X-Rebirth ?

Required game play
2%
Probably will help a bit
19%
Not necessary
55%
blue-green-algae
25%

Total votes: 53

exogenesis
x4

Is there any reason to play Albion Prelude before launching X-Rebirth ?

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 01:52

Title covers it.

Haven't played Prelude, so would I miss out on anything important?

Malkuth74
x3tc

Post by Malkuth74 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 02:15

You would miss out on the story, of what happens and what leads to what. But basically if you have not played any x game to this point. THen you might as well just read the cheat sheets.

Monkeyfister
x3ap

Post by Monkeyfister » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 02:30

Rebirth is set hundreds of years after Albion Prelude.

For those that have played AP, I suspect it'll be like Rip Van Winkle, or something. Little will be he same.

So, some lore missing, but the manual basically catches you up.

Zaydin
x4

Post by Zaydin » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 02:33

Monkeyfister wrote:Rebirth is set hundreds of years after Albion Prelude.

For those that have played AP, I suspect it'll be like Rip Van Winkle, or something. Little will be he same.

Not really; the manual for Rebirth suggests that X Rebirth is no more than 30 years after Albion Prelude; Ren Otani, the PC, is stated to be 24 in the manual, and is said to have been born a few years after the gates fell.

Malkuth74
x3tc

Post by Malkuth74 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 02:36

Monkeyfister wrote:Rebirth is set hundreds of years after Albion Prelude.

This is incorrect. Not sure how this number keeps coming up. its more like 24 to 30 years later.

Most of the characters in the Manual have been around before the gates failed. Most of the leaders are from the old goverments, or fleets.

Its a nice read, gives you a pretty good heads up.

exogenesis
x4

Post by exogenesis » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 03:38

X Rebirth Game Manual wrote:The system of Albion, once part of the mighty Argon Federation has been cut off for decades. The
failure of the Jump Gates left the people of Albion to fend for themselves in their harsh system. After
years of power struggles, the influential Plutarch Mining Corporation rose to power but stability has
its cost. You are Ren Otani, Captain of the Albion Skunk. Along with your co-pilot Yisha Tarren you
are thrown into a universe reopening and conflicts old and new.
So does this quote cover all the plot that'd be missed, or is there any significant other lore?

btw Malkuth74, have played everything except Albion

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:05

Well, I'm going into Rebirth without ever having finished the plotlines in AP, so I'm hoping it's not necessary--I seriously doubt it will be, considering Egosoft want to get new players on board for Rebirth rather than just relying on everyone who's played their previous games!

JimmiG
x3

Post by JimmiG » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:08

I was considering re-playing the X3 games before getting into Rebirth, but decided against it. X Rebirth is a Reboot. Starting fresh is probably better.

Burneyx
x4

Re: Is there any reason to play Albion Prelude before launching X-Rebirth ?

Post by Burneyx » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:13

exogenesis wrote:Title covers it.

Haven't played Prelude, so would I miss out on anything important?
Well,
i have played X3/AP for about 10 hours and played X3/TC for a few thousand hours.
Still i think it will not be an handycap to have not realy played X3/AP.

JClosed
x3tc

Post by JClosed » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:16

Well - I played the games from X:BTF, so the story line is clear enough for me. In my opinion you do not have to play earlier games to get "in to" X Rebirth, although it is not a bad idea to read some parts of the encyclopedia to get an idea about the time-line and setting of the story..

I'm not sure about those blue-green-algae tough.. Sounds...well...yeah...

cosmo666

Post by cosmo666 » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 09:18

well, i just fired up the old ap, gonna blitz through it for a reminder of the story/lore with a cheating game. shouldn't take more then 2-3 hours with a jumping m6. but the story, while interesting, wasn't a highlight of the x-series, it was more like a loose stitching holding stuff together.

Alci
x4

Post by Alci » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 10:53

no need to play AP for story/context or something like that. But it's different game in same genre. The one with the most features implemented. It may be worth playing even after Rebirth to see how differently things can be done. (And get better context of what can be improved on Rebirth in the future.)

Eagle
x4

Post by Eagle » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 12:13

Will the sequel to Rebirth be 'Afterbirth'? :lol:

Eww.

Mauzi!
x3ap

Post by Mauzi! » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 12:17

Eagle wrote:Will the sequel to Rebirth be 'Afterbirth'?
I was thinking that as well and came up with the following sequels:

Rebirth
Childhood
Teenage
Pensioneer
Zombie

Huillam
x4

Post by Huillam » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 12:18

Eagle wrote:Will the sequel to Rebirth be 'Afterbirth'? :lol:

Eww.
Followed by X: Not dead yet and X: Still Alive (where Xenons evolve into Glados).

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Fri, 15. Nov 13, 12:22

X stories are nice but can usually be ignored I found.

I personally avoided X3 TC and X3 Albion because I did not like X3 that much, so i personally do not care what the plot for those games was. Its going down as another Deux Invisible war for me... I am going to pretend they did not exist.

Dont get me wrong, X3 did some things right.... but it destroyed the whole X feeling for me, so what it did right was lost amongst what it did wrong or did not do at all.
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”