Spin out glitch when undocking. Is there a way to recover?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stickyresin

Spin out glitch when undocking. Is there a way to recover?

Post by Stickyresin » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 05:45

So it's the 3rd time I got the "spin out of control and flung 9999999km away from where I should be glitch. This time it was while undocking after the boarding mission.

To make matters worse, I accidentally F5 quicksaved after it happened, which overwrote all my 10+ hours of campaign progress. Seriously, why the hell does this game not have an autosave or redundant saves like X3?

Is there a way to recover from this? Maybe with console commands? If not does anybody have a save file anywhere near this point in the campaign that I can use? Or should I just uninstall this game and never play it again?

MutantDwarf
x4

Post by MutantDwarf » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 06:17

I believe it should be possible, at least using either a mod or editing the saved game file, but I haven't tested it out.

With editing the saved game file, it's just an XML; open it up in a text editor and search for 'unit_player_ship_macro'. The first (of two) results should be the Albion Skunk. I think. Scroll down from there and you should see a 'movement' block. I have no idea what that does, but I don't think it's what you want. Instead, look for </movement> - right after that should be an 'offset' block which, if I'm right, will include really ridiculous numbers for position. Change those to much smaller numbers and maybe it'll load you up in a much more reasonable location?

*shrug* No idea if it'll work or not, but it's something you can try.

Stickyresin

Post by Stickyresin » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 06:46

Yeah I saw that when looking through the save just before I saw your post but wasn't sure about it, and was confused about the duplicate info in the read and write tags.

However, I just did a test and made a new save where my ship was completely still, and sure enough the angular velocity and angular acceleration fields weren't even in the save file. So I'm just going to remove those fields and 0,0,0 out my x,y,z position and that should fix it.

EDIT: Yep, that worked. Obviously 0,0,0 wasn't where I originally was, but it at least put me in playable space where I could get back.

Just to clarify, don't completely delete the lines with velocity and acceleration, just delete the data between the tags, like <velocity></velocity>. Or if you know XML, just use empty tag syntax ex: <velocity/>

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”