General Joystick/Pedal/Controller/Gamepad issues [Q&A CUI-2]

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Solfi
x3tc

X52 Pro support...

Post by Solfi » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:20

I knew the joystick support was lacking right now, but I just had to try my X52 with Rebirth -

All I get is the ship turning up and to the left continuously. I (grudgingly) tried editing the dead zones, but that didn't work at all...

Anyone get theirs up and running (I know there are plenty of us with one on these forums :) )?

Oh, well... I can manage with my gamepad / mouse+keyboard setup for now. I'm just hoping I will be able to use my X52 at some point...

Ottomic

Post by Ottomic » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:25

I've got a Thrustmaster HOTAS X and the game identifies yaw axis as "right trigger" and throttle as "left trigger". Whenever I move the throttle my ship starts constantly targeting whatever's in front of it, rendering the mouse pointer unusable and deselecting my target 80% of the time.

Please Egosoft, give us either the option to manually unbind EVERYTHING (so I can use XPadder and be done with it), or fix the goddamn Joystick support. From the looks of it you haven't even bothered to test the most widespread and used Joystick combinations nowadays. This is shameful.

Bobisback

Post by Bobisback » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:43

ya i am trying with a hotas warthog and combat rudder pedals and it is failing horribly :(

in the last game there was a check if using rudders button that seemed to fix everything cannot seem to find that in this game though hahaha

Sam Redstone
xr

Post by Sam Redstone » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:43

OK, I had forgotten about my Saitek pedals.

With joystick, throttle, pedals, and TrackIR ALL unplugged, the controls seem to work as intended. I can play!

Of course, that's about $800 worth of hardware that's completely useless...

Still, I can at least play the game while I wait for patches. :)
"Will you please get me a couple of things?" ~ Mahi Ma

Every Boron dies. Squiddy McSquid truly lived.

renaultf1fan5
x4

Post by renaultf1fan5 » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:45

Joystick support is pretty much non-existent right now. I couldn't get past the main menu with my X52-Pro because the settings wouldn't let me map the buttons. For some reason it won't let me assign new buttons to most of the commands, which includes not even being able to map the trigger to the fire weapons function.

It's really disappointing after all these years of development that they focused so much on gamepad support that the game is unplayable with by far the most popular HOTAS joystick out there (X-52 and X-52 Pro).

Edit: So I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact that it detects my throttle as the "left trigger" and the roll axis as the "right trigger" lol.
Last edited by renaultf1fan5 on Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:48, edited 1 time in total.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:47

Nope, my x-52 pro wont play either, I've actually just disconnected it, as whilst it was attached it was interfering with the mouse, causing that to lock up.

When it was connected, if you tried setting twist to roll it would show it as right trigger, whether or not an x-box 360 controller was connected. Also the throttle didn't register as being there either let alone all the hat switches and extra buttons, which of course all register perfectly in windows.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

renaultf1fan5
x4

Post by renaultf1fan5 » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:54

On a Saitek X-52 Pro and the game won't recognize most of the button bindings including the trigger. I can't even remap all the buttons to keyboard commands using a profile since that kills the game's fps for some reason.

RogerL
x4

Post by RogerL » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 07:58

I don't know if it is a big difference how the X52-Pro and my X52 for x rebirth, but for me most things work after some work.
First for me the mouse XY was a bit off so the ship was just spinning crazy, I had to make a dead zone there, and rudder was sending a bit jitter even at center so a small deadzone sorted that out. Then I could assign rudder and throttle, but they were named Left Trigger and Right Trigger in game, that confused me for a while. Then there is 2 settings for fire and missile, and only second is recognizing the joystick.
After that I could setup most buttons ingame, I could not setup the strafing though, so had to make that work with the profile editor.
Now it works good for me.
But the joystick setup is terrible, I really hope they do some work on that.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:00

The trigger on an XBox controller is an analogue device, so if you want to travel slower, just don't push it in so far.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:02

Hmmm would you be willing to link the file you have setup in the profile editor, (the SST software) as i'm wondering if that would let me get somewhere with mine.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:07

renaultf1fan5 wrote:On a Saitek X-52 Pro and the game won't recognize most of the button bindings including the trigger. I can't even remap all the buttons to keyboard commands using a profile since that kills the game's fps for some reason.
I had a similar issue with my Cyborg Evo, but it only applied to the first set of Weapons controls--if I tried to remap the "Weapons II" set then it worked fine. No idea why there should be a difference there, but maybe that's your problem?

myztkl-kev
x4

Post by myztkl-kev » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:11

i got my x52 pro working alright, the hat switches wont bind to ship movements and the main hat does weapon switching only which i am dealing with. i got the throttle working fine, and i used the saitek software to make a profile JUST to make the joystick second hat work for strafing (WASD) this caused another problem where my game will slow to 5 fps a minute or so after launching the game, 2 or 3 minutes of 5fps and it works fine after that. Most of the controls display incorrectly, like the joystick axis shows as left axis or something stupid, but they all function correctly for me.
You do need to invert some of the axis, at least i had to. and for shooting you need to use the 'Weapons 2' binds as the weapons 1 doesn't seem to work but then you can bind your triggers and safe button.

I do have deadzone issues, i have to move the stick at least an inch in any direction to get movement and the saitek control panel deadzone adjusters did nothing. (i think this is a hardware problem with the stick though, there is a mod that requires taking the stick apart and moving some magnets to fix this, I didnt try it)

aside from that the only issue i have with the game right now is there is zero performance difference between lowest setting and maxed setting besides +-5fps. Changing resolution does nothing for performance and anti aliasing cuts the frame rate in half and i only get 30-35 average on low-maxed with it off. And i seem to be stuck on the energy cell mission.

myztkl-kev
x4

Post by myztkl-kev » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:22

pjknibbs wrote:
renaultf1fan5 wrote:On a Saitek X-52 Pro and the game won't recognize most of the button bindings including the trigger. I can't even remap all the buttons to keyboard commands using a profile since that kills the game's fps for some reason.
I had a similar issue with my Cyborg Evo, but it only applied to the first set of Weapons controls--if I tried to remap the "Weapons II" set then it worked fine. No idea why there should be a difference there, but maybe that's your problem?
I can confirm this on x52 pro, weapons 2 works.

RogerL
x4

Post by RogerL » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:26

Legionnaire wrote:Hmmm would you be willing to link the file you have setup in the profile editor, (the SST software) as i'm wondering if that would let me get somewhere with mine.

Legionnaire
The only thing I have in the profiler is WASD mapped on the throttleunits hat switch, and use that for strafing. so not much to see there. Rest I setup ingame.

I do remember one more thing causing me trouble, the slider on the throttle had to be somewhere in the middle or it caught the slider as command.
Last edited by RogerL on Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.

monsto

Limited gamepad binding?

Post by monsto » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:30

I wanted to change Left Stick Vertical to throttle up down. Can't.

I can, however, only use any bindings that are already in the same section of the bindings screen.

Anyone else have this?

=VG= OniBlood1986

Post by =VG= OniBlood1986 » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:30

Yea this is the only thing keeping me from playing the game right now. I want to be able to bind the Key I want to the game not the preset key they shipped the game out with.

monsto

Joystick users: Does it work to use the xbox 360 emulator to remap your controls?

Post by monsto » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 08:32

http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/

Does this app work for you to bind the different axes to xbox controls so that you can play the game?

Just a thought for a short term stopgap.

_YoYo_

Terrible setup for users with many controllers!

Post by _YoYo_ » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 09:20

Hi Folks,

Setup of controllers is terrible :(. Did You see any setup of controllers in simulator?

Example:
[ external image ]

In one page I see all my controllers (and names of controllers!).

I have many controllers like - joystick, throtlle, rudder, next 6 lever and Xrebirth goes crazy.

With more than 2 external controllers is impossible to properly setup of axis. Example - for one option Your "space sim" see - two my controllers, not one!!!!! How to play with this?

Sorry - I dont want to disconnect all and stay with my one joystic. Id like to use rudder for yaw axis ect. Now its impossible. Where was a beta testers - or they used only a mouse in space "simulator"??? Where is Track IR? Im very disappointed with this simply settings & necessery in modern time options. Yes - we used and have many controllers, its a 2013, not 2001 ; > . I didnt see on the box warning - "the game supports only mouse and one controller". Is it possible to return the "space sim" after steam activation or it will be fixed soon?

How can I setup one controller to one axis - this line in XRebirth see and save two controllers in TOO SAME Time!!! :evil:

Please reply me.

btw. in all simulators - no any problems with setup, here - simply cant fly...

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now a linked thumbnail - Terre}

quarren
x4

Post by quarren » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 09:35

I'd appreciate an option to change the behaviour of the trigger to that of a simple button. That's the way I had it set up in X3AP.
My fingers get sore from keeping that trigger pressed at all times. :wink:

mitah_
x3ap

Post by mitah_ » Sat, 16. Nov 13, 09:43

RogerL wrote:
Legionnaire wrote:Hmmm would you be willing to link the file you have setup in the profile editor, (the SST software) as i'm wondering if that would let me get somewhere with mine.

Legionnaire
The only thing I have in the profiler is WASD mapped on the throttleunits hat switch, and use that for strafing. so not much to see there. Rest I setup ingame.

I do remember one more thing causing me trouble, the slider on the throttle had to be somewhere in the middle or it caught the slider as command.
I haven't tried mapping my X52 (not Pro) in Rebirth yet, but I really would like to ...

Should ANYONE find a working solution for mapping axes/buttons in a logical manner, please post your settings and/or profile here so all the others who think space games are to be played with a joystick have a starting point...

I remember it took me days to create a working profile for TC (mapping strafe/menus on coolie, boost stop and match speed on the throttle and weapons groups on 8way-switch), but Rebirth for the moment seems to lack the necessary keyboard shortcuts to map any functions to the joystick

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”