[X3:TC and AP][Script request] Follow distance.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Tom5Cat
x3ap

[X3:TC and AP][Script request] Follow distance.

Post by Tom5Cat » Sat, 15. Feb 14, 17:24

Would any of the scripters please be willing to make the following script: A new item under 'custom' named 'follow distance', which lets you, when clicked, input a distance. This distance would, from that moment on, be used whenever the normal 'follow' command (so also 'follow me' through the hud-menu and such) is given.

- Want to go on one of those 'tailing ship'-missions? Change the distance setting first to 15km, then set the AI to 'follow'. Comes in really handy when having to follow a TS with top speed of a boring 46 km/s :roll:

- Want to follow an enemy ship but stay out of its weapons reach (for instance when your ship has weapons with a greater range than his)? Set the distance to the appropriate setting and nail that foe.

- Or maybe have one of your other ships do that, like for instance the 'Sirokos', so it can safely follow the target ship but still from pretty closeby launch boarding pods as soon as you lowered the foe's shields from within your M2? Change follow-setting to say 8 km, give follow-command (to your 'Sirokos').

- Afterwards, you can set the distance on 1km again (or whatever you like as a standard), so you can have your wingmen follow you at that distance.

All of this would sure add to realism a lot! I mean, who in his right mind follows somebody's car bumper to bumper, and all of the time in any situation? Let alone if you don't want the followed one to take notice you're following! This script could be used very creatively.

It would have to be a 'smart' and 'responsive' script, that watches changes in speed and heading of the followed ship and automatically reacts in an appropriate way. What I mean by this is that it should make your ship take evasive actions in case the followed ship seems to trace back on its steps, like when it's trying to circle an asteroid or station. Preferably not hitting anything itself of course. :wink:

The tricky part would be, I think, the auto-adjustment of speed. Not so much copying the speed of the ship that is followed I deem tricky, but the fact that it should override de joystick setting and keep doing that until the command itself is stopped, so like the vanilla follow command does, weither or not the joystick throttle is at full speed or stand still.

I don't know if it could be used as subtile as some of the examples I've given, but it would already help a great deal in case of the 'tailing ship' missions, which are plainly way too boring to fly yourself. Remark for this particular use: when the followed ship goes through a gate, the gate itself should be targeted and the current speed held on, until you jumped through too, at which time the situation should be reassest automatically according to the position, heading and speed of the tracked ship (which should be targeted automatically again, if that is even possible by a script). You get my drift... a REAL AI! :wink:

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”