[mod] Mass Effect mod for TC/AP for possible port to rebirth

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

defiler606

[mod] Mass Effect mod for TC/AP for possible port to rebirth

Post by defiler606 » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 15:51

Any mass effect fans out there who wanna see and play a mass effect total conversion for TC/AP?

I thought that the mass effect universe was awesome so I started working on meshing and skinning some ships from the mass effect game to convert to TC and AP. I also have some skills in scripting but to complete a total conversion within a reasonable time frame I am going to need help.

I need help with the following:

1) Scripters
2) Modelers/Texturers
3) Extracted game files from mass effect PC version (I have the xbox 360 version) particularly the ship/station meshes, textures and pics. I also need info on the galatic map to map out the clusters and sectors accurately to stay as cannon as possible

The Plan:

1) New Universe with new sectors using mass relays as jumpgates connecting different clusters. Each cluster has several sectors connected by jump beacons. Only mass relay to mass relay jump can be made without a jump drive. Any other jump requires a jump drive and jump energy

2) New Economy revolving around Ore, Silicon, Element zero and Deuterium as base resources (mined from asteroids or produced from a fuel depot).

3) New Ships and stations. Perhaps a new way to connect stations into a complex. I don't really like the way TC and AP handles large complexes

4) New races: Alliance (Humans), Turian Heirarchy, Salarian Union, Asari Consortium, Geth, Quarians and the Terminus systems (Pirates) as well as Reapers.

5) New Weapons and Missles

However if anyone is already working on a mod I would ladly join up and contribute my time to the effort :)

Axeface
x4

Post by Axeface » Fri, 30. Mar 12, 18:45

You know, I never thought i'de say it, but it could actually work really well...

When in time would it be set? You would need to figure out some way to justify having reapers in the game. I would actually think it would be a MUCH better mod if you set it during the Rachni Wars, and not the 'current' timeframe.
Remember, that the Rachni wars were caused by the reapers, or at least it is heavily implied. It actually allows you to put a reaper or two, during the rachni wars and still be lore friendly... If a reaper attacking the CITADEL can be denied by the council, it's totally in the realm of possibility that reaper involvement during the rachni wars was denied too.

The Krogan, with the Turians and Salarians should be the 'big boys' in the galaxy, that are actively fighting the rachni, which should have control of many systems. It could make for a really interesting setup...

You could have a reaper here and there in VERY far off systems (Omega 4/Galactic Core :D :D ). But the main 'raiding' enemy should be rachni (If you find a reaper, bring HUNDREDS of capitals, another reason why reapers as the main antagonists are a bad idea).
You could also script it to allow the war with the rachni to be won... Leading onto the Krogan rebellions........

TO CLARIFY.
The galaxy should be made up of three main "races".
Council Space, Terminus systems and Rachni.
Only using three 'races' for this actually allows you to use the remaining race slots to really explore sub factions (eg, "pirates") and enemy races... Eg, if a player sides with the Council you could still have all the races styles etc all implied, through scripting and differing 'shipyards', but the game would consider the Asari, Turians, Krogan etc all as one "race"... which works.

I dont like your idea of calling the terminus systems pirates.
I think you should actually make them like corporations that are bordering on war with citadel space. It gives them a more interesting feel, and allows the player to actively trade with them.
There should be some trading going on, but not much... and with VERY large fleets sitting in systems that border the zones.

The more I think about this, the more I love it.

Sore more points.
1: You shouldnt extract assets from Mass Effect. You should really get people to make fresh models (I may actually be very interested myself).

2: The mass relays would be quite easy to do I think. Instead of the big blue circle we're used to in x, the relays would use large invisible disks around the relays, so when you get to a certain distance from it it grabs you.

3: Rebirth lends itself VERY well to a mod of this sort. The highways system is very similar in both function and look to the relays.

4: Missiles. Should be removed completely. They serve virtually no purpose when you have mass accelerators.
Weapons would be quite simple in this game but very interesting. From the smallest mass accelerator like your standard rifles, to the large dreadnaught weapons. Ammo would be blocks of different types of metals (Remember most mass accelerators use blocks of material and 'shave' ammunition off them for each 'shot').
To clarify. It is said in the codex if I remember correctly that all races realise that mass accelerators are simply the most powerful weapon possible (bar pushing an asteroid into something, which is the same... in principal) so only use them and nothing else (In space).

5 (EDIT): I just realised/remembered that the Rachni wars would mean no humans. I personally dont care. It could actually be really cool to go to the arcturus relay, and jump to sol, taking a look at earth and imagining the primative humans there :D
There should be an STG ship 'patroling' the sector too ;)

Anyway, I need to stop myself because I could go on forever. This has been talked about before, over quite a long time but no one has taken it up.

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 00:14

This sound like a great idea (coming from a Mass Effect fan).
Also shouldn't the minerals be pallidium, platinum, ore and element zero (that was what you mined in ME2)

Also you must remember the limitiations of the X3 engine.

Animating reapers will be very hard because of their 'tentacles'
You can't port things from X3 to Rebirth because of a completely different engine (that said models could most likely be imported)
X3 can only support 6 turret on a ship so making turret coverage for ships such as the Destiny Ascension style destroyers will be hard.

There are propably ALOT more technical issues you would have to overcome so I think this mod would have to be delayed for Rebirth.

Good Luck
Jack

PS Extracting models directly from Mass Effect might be a breach of copyright.

PPS Don't forget to add the Collectors (my favorite race :D ).
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Killjaeden
x3tc

Post by Killjaeden » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 04:28

scripts made for X3 can't be ported to rebirth, same as all the work done for the universe. The only recycleable stuff would be assets.
Work done now would therefore be wasted, so better wait and try to get into MD coding to somewhat prepare for rebirth modding. There is no way you will finish this in the next half year anyway.
[ external image ]
X-Tended TC Mod Team Veteran.
Modeller of X3AP Split Acinonyx, Split Drake, Argon Lotan, Teladi Tern. My current work:

x3tc

Post by 101010 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 07:29

Agree with Axeface, you will need to do your own meshes & textures. Keep in mind if you use any of the originals you might run afoul of copy right laws. Also I've seen the original SR2 model in 3DS and lets say the model & textures were less than stellar. It was a very low poly model and the textures were just slapped on.

Also seriously consider what Killjaeden has said. Mods this ambitious take a great deal of time, specially when it comes to MD coding as there are so few capable MD coders. On the subject of capable MD coders, to the best of my knowledge every one of them are currently pre-occupied with projects of their own. I for one would love to see this, and just ask Killjaeden, would love to see a more accurate SR3 model with authentic textures, but it may be to late in the life of X3TC to start such a project.

I think part of it will depend on how Rebirth is accepted by the more experienced scripters, modders, and modellers as well as what kind of modding support will be available for the new game. Depending on that there may not be enough people left around to help with a new mod if they are all learning to mod for the new game.

defiler606

Post by defiler606 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 07:48

Reaper animation will indeed be problematic. To offset this the repears, paticularly the detroyers and dreadnoughts, will be set to fixed firing positions with their cannons set in front.

With regards to the porting to Rebirth my original intent was to get as much of the ships done as possible and then port them to rebirth when it is released. In the meantime work will continue in AP/TC until this happens

Extracting the models from the game and using it in a mod is a breach of copyright. However extracting it and using the models as reference is not.

I don't like the idea of simplyfiing the races. One, I hate the council. The council is the like the united nations, only the council races actually posses power and even then any action taken by the council is executed by the military forces of the council member races and not the council itself. The terminus pirates is a simplyfied union of the blue suns, the blood pack and other nefarious organizations much like the way it is in X3 AP/TC where pirates are simply called pirates rather than their separate individual group identities. Besides I don't think pirates would like to identify their ships as such.

With regards to the mass relays, I actually had the same idea. The mass relay would just be a marker. The actual gates are black disks above, below and to the sides of the relay corresponding to the N, S E, W gate directions.

Missles are integral to the game. If you don't think so you should read the codex some more.

defiler606

Post by defiler606 » Sat, 31. Mar 12, 07:56

Here's some ideas for potential mission starts and setting:

The setting is right after ME 1 after the destruction of Sovereign.

1) Alliance Admiral = You are an admiral under Admiral Anderson. You are tasked to build up the depleted alliance and maintain the peace in anticipation of the return of the reapers

2) Turian General = As above but easier as the turians had more military resources as of ME 2. You will be under Garrus' father.

3) Salarian STG = Hard start with minimal resources. Missions here would be mostly covert ops rather than resource gathering.

4) Pirate Merc = Sand box play with maybe reapers as random events.

The missions would be mostly similar to TC mission with reapers appearing as GOD events and behave like xenon invasion.

Cpt_Carmal
x3tc

Post by Cpt_Carmal » Wed, 16. May 12, 13:20

I think this is an excellent idea. It would be quite a feat to pull off, but I think it would be amazing if you did. It would be interesting to see this take place during the First Contact War of 2157/Relay 314 Incident. Especially if you didn't like the Council much, since it would mean having human ships against the Citidel Council. You could then proceed to include incidents such as the Skyllian Blitz of 2176 and the Raid on Torfan by Alliance Forces 2 years later.

Just had a few thoughts on weapons: I realize that the projectiles of mass drivers in X3 aren't nearly as fast as they should be in order to be cannon.
A 20 Kilo ferrous slug is fired from the main gun of an Everest Class Dreadnought at 1.3% light speed or 389,730,195 meters per second. I imagine that the speeds for less powerful mass accelerators would be much slower, but I think the main gun of a dreadnought M2 would need to have a projectile speed that was faster than a ship of similar size like another dreadnought or carrier can out-maneuver at medium/long range, and the projectile speeds for the guns in X3 don't even come close. I don't know how that would effect game play mechanics/balancing issues though...you would need much better shielding for Dreadnoughts than is common in X3 now is my guess. Also, disruptor torpedoes almost completely ignore kinetic barriers on ships because of their artificially enhanced mass.

Do with this info what you will, just offering my thoughts as a bit of a sci-fi nerd and Mass Effect Fan.

"Look at that monster! It's main gun could rip through the barriers on any ship in the Alliance Fleet!"--Gunnery Chief Ashley Williams describing the Destiny Ascension

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Wed, 16. May 12, 15:13

3) Extracted game files from mass effect PC version (I have the xbox 360 version) particularly the ship/station meshes, textures and pics. I also need info on the galatic map to map out the clusters and sectors accurately to stay as cannon as possible
It will be illegal to distribute those files in any mod/conversion. Just saying. You can recreate (and even then, due to IP an (c) you cannot copy everything 1:1), but you cannot use them directly.

Sk_2013
x3tc

Post by Sk_2013 » Mon, 21. May 12, 07:17

Hm. From what I read this wouldn't be difficult at all. Maybe if we were going to do some mission coding we might have a problem (MD is confusing), but other than that, this really wouldn't be hard at all. X3 Editor comes with most of what you'd need. Remember to fix the t- files for all the titles, connect the models and edit missile effects. This is the first feasable mod like this I've seen, and, despite a lack of direct coding experience (I edit things, ok? I don't have the patience to write the code itself, but I can change it to do what I want), I think this is an excellent idea.

The speed of weapons is easy to fix (just a number to change). The same goes to most other weapon issues. The only issue I can think of off the top of my head is that guns have a limited (10k) targeting range. Now, in Reunion this could be fixed by using missiles (seperate missile turrets, and missiles have unlimited range, so just create missiles with insane speed and no ability to turn, and call them "Gauss ammunition" or whatever. In AP that would only work for smaller ships (i.e. Ships w/o turrets, or ships that only fire such weapons directly forward)
Peace through superior firepower.

Bartic
x3tc

Post by Bartic » Sat, 22. Feb 14, 16:16

I can't help, but I'm waiting for it!

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”