Change satellite scanner range

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

builder680
x4

Change satellite scanner range

Post by builder680 » Tue, 4. Mar 14, 08:37

Hello, after playing around with "trade lane," "gate illumination," "box-8," and other such nonsense configurations (and their associated maintenance) for satellites, I've decided I just want ONE satellite per sector, placed off the ecliptic, and increase their scanner range. Probably to something like 150-200km or so for Advanced Satellites. Any higher and I'll probably start seeing things I'm not supposed to be able to see.

Does anyone know offhand what file I need to open (I'm guessing in X3 Editor 2?) and what lines to change? I've never modded or scripted so I really know nothing about this. Google said it's probably in the "types" folder, but I'm not sure which file and what lines.

EDIT: Found "globals.txt" in the highest cat I'm using. Range at the moment says 18000000 for satellite2. I can only assume it's measuring in metric flea jumps or something. What is the relation of 40km (advanced sat default scan range) to 18 million?
Last edited by builder680 on Tue, 4. Mar 14, 09:44, edited 2 times in total.

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Tue, 4. Mar 14, 09:28

Types\Globals. Open it with the Text Viewer. It has a few comments and you can usually figure out what the settings are (if you experiment a bit).

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Tue, 4. Mar 14, 10:13

Putting down some info in case other people of limited knowledge such as myself want to mess with this in the future.

Ok, apparently the value for the 'stock' Advanced Satellite in types.txt (01.cat) is 17500000. My modded game, with XRM installed, has them at 18000000. Make sure you're editing (and later copying) the 'highest' loading \types\globals.txt

According to the relevant X3 wiki, their default radius in game is 35 km, not 40 km (so ignore my above edit).

17500000 is a measurement in millimeters (seriously, lol). It's half of the 35 km scanner radius (for a total stock scan diameter of 70 km). Yeah, I had to draw pictures... Go ahead and laugh, but keep this in mind when deciding how big of a scanner range you want. I'm currently going with a value of 50000000 (for a 100 km radius -- or 200 km diameter -- scan range).

Put your new globals.txt in a new folder called \types inside your game installation directory, TC or AP as needed. Leave the .cat file you extracted it from as is.

:)

Createse
x4

Post by Createse » Tue, 4. Mar 14, 15:57

Unit reference: 500000 = 1 km
Not all units in the Globals file are in millimetres though, be careful.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”