[X3TC] A few modding questions

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

GHB
x3ap

[X3TC] A few modding questions

Post by GHB » Wed, 12. Mar 14, 13:19

Hi there,

After playing through the game for a while, I'm just about to restart as a Terran Defender - I was already using a few mods, but I'd like to go a bit further this time and set the game up exactly how I want it. Hopefully someone can give me a few pointers.

First off - thank you very much to Cycrow, Apricotslice, doubleshadow, Nividium and Laux, whose work I've either installed or am using as a guide. I think I've got most things set up now, there's just a few more things I'd like to do/check before flying off into the universe:

1. First off, a quick methodology check: I've got doubleshadow's X3 Editor 2 and can see how to extract files. Using Apricot's PHQ mod as a guide, I've modified the HQ.xml to reduce RE & build times and credit requirements etc and then placed it in the TC/types directory. Is that all I need to do, or is there another step I'm missing? And would it be better to add the file back into the cat? I've seen Graxter's HQ hack - that goes a little too far for my liking, but the fact it's packaged as a whole mod instead of just an xml file makes me worry I'm missing something fundamental here.

2. I'd like to place a single, expensive ship I can "find" straight away and sell to get things going quickly. I imagine I can install Cycrow's cheat package for that (and then uninstall it to remove its many temptations :) ), but is there an abandoned ship list somewhere I can edit?

3. Reduce the payments due in the "A New Home" plot. I can see how to reduce the Hub plot requirements, but can't find anywhere the New Home requirements are specified. Anyone know where that's set?

4. Make all Terran factories invincible. I'd like to use Terran ships this time without worrying about GoD deleting stations I won't be able to build for a very long time (last time around, by the time I'd mapped Aldrin fully, there were only 8 stations left there!). I'm absolutely clueless on this one...

Cheers,

GHB

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Wed, 12. Mar 14, 14:08

1. Regarding the edited HQ.xml file, you are fine either way.

The game uses the "highest" loading version of a file, with the "highest" being any versions inside a folder (such as \types), then it searches from highest-numbered to lowest-numbered cat. Since you put your modded version in the types folder, that is the one that will load... the one in the cat will be ignored. As long as you edited it and saved it correctly, you should be golden.

If, in the future, you decided you'd rather just edit and use the one in the cat, you'd need to delete the one you have in \types in order for the one in the cat to load.

2. I believe abandoned ships are now random. There are ways to search your universe to display a list of them, but I don't want to suggest any specific ones. You have plenty of options... Google will make finding such tools trivial. :)

3. I'm sorry, I don't know the answer to this one.

4. You can prevent deletion of stations by parking a ship at them. Cheap M5's work for this purpose. However, there are other options. In AP, for example, the Terran sectors (except Earth) have actual jumpgates which makes it much easier to keep the Terran economy going. Whether you're playing TC or AP, I'd get Sector and/or Local Traders going early on in systems with important factories.

Additionally, depending on the mod experience you're looking for, XRM has a fully functioning Terran economy (including Aldrin) as one of its features. XRM isn't for everyone, though, so read up before you decide to go that route.

GHB
x3ap

Post by GHB » Wed, 12. Mar 14, 15:04

Is it maybe in AP that abandoned ships are random? I'm fairly sure there's a set list somewhere in TC - for instance, there's always a Toucan Hauler in Menelaus' Frontier, an Advanced Pericles in Savage Spur etc. No biggie that one though, given Cycrow's create ship cheat script.

I'd read about this parking M5s trick... my only problem with that is that I'm an idiot, and get quite overwhelmed by the property list already! Might be my only option though.

I'll have a proper read through the XRM changelist, but I reckon I should probably get to know the current ships and mechanics a bit better before fully overhauling.

Cheers, mate - hope all's good in Kansas... :)

builder680
x4

Post by builder680 » Wed, 12. Mar 14, 15:18

I think you're right, if you're playing TC the abandoned ships are static. There are lots of lists out there for those. Here's one. If you don't want to see parked ships on your property list, you can hide them. It's under commands for each ship. Then just be sure you have "Do not show hidden ships" set to <<<Yes>>> in the Property options.

I do strongly suggest taking a look at AP though. It's cheap, and it has a number of improvements to the game.

However, some of the plots are either gone (e.g. iirc there's no Terran Defender plot in AP) or different. For example, the Hub plot in AP takes less than an hour, instead of weeks. There are also new plots to check out.

Off topic stuff spoilered in hopes of avoiding outside editing. We'll see. :lol:
Spoiler
Show
Kansas is doing good, thanks! Got two teams heading to the tournament. I live in Wichita, so it's good to see WSU tearing up their schedule. I even went to school there for a couple years. At heart, though, I've been a KU fan for 25 years, so... if they meet in the Big Dance, I'm not sure what outcome would make me happiest.

GHB
x3ap

Post by GHB » Wed, 12. Mar 14, 16:02

Ah... I'd got the impression that there were far fewer plots in AP - I'll definitely look into that after my next playthrough then.
Spoiler
Show
Guessing you're referring to basketball there? Only American sport I follow is Football, I'm afraid... I think Sayers and Riggins were Jayhawks? Great players.

Hope you get your dream final though. :)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”