X3AP 3.0 low fps+stutters if browsing lists - Often fixed by changing AMD driver.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

kaylo7
x3tc

Post by kaylo7 » Mon, 15. Jul 13, 06:13

Same as Vilmu - HD5770.
13.1 Did not work for me though, even using driver sweepers in Safe Mode.
13.6 Beta kind of works as per post on previous page.

An update to that though - I've found that if it's stuttering in menu's (as it randomly does sometimes, while others it doesn't) that alt-tabbing, pulling up CCC, and changing *anything* then alt-tabbing back fixes the problem for the duration of the session. Anyone more tech-savvy have a theory on why this is?

Currently I switch back and forth from "Wait for Vertical Refresh - Off, unless application specifies" and "Wait for Vertical Refresh - On, unless application specifies."
So nothing changes as V-sync stays on, but the act of changing it one way or another fixes the stuttering until I alt-tab a second time or reboot, after which it's a gamble whether it's smooth or not.
Irritating that I have to plan ahead, then write down complex station lists instead of alt-tabbing to the complex calculator.

Moncada
xrvr

Post by Moncada » Mon, 15. Jul 13, 09:07

So it's pretty much up to the brand of the ati card which drivers work. This is just not right somehow.

I have a Sapphire card. So some drivers work for me but not for others.

@Kaylo7

I dont think im tech savvy enough to explain that situation. If it's tied to vertical sync it's a clue. A strange one but a clue non the less. Looks like I have to update my bug report to ATI.

Have you guys sent one in to ATI about this issue?

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Mon, 15. Jul 13, 15:12

Vilmu wrote:I'm having this issue with 13.4 and 13.6beta drivers as well.

13.1 fixes it. HD5770 card here.
The only problem I have now is that the 13.1 drivers are noticeably slower in CrossFire mode than the 13.4 drivers. I would assume that there are certain blanket optimizations implemented in these newer revisions that fix a pile of stuff while simultaneously reducing the performance of certain games.

g04tn4d0
x4

Post by g04tn4d0 » Wed, 17. Jul 13, 15:19

Out of curiosity, can anyone confirm or deny this issue with the Linux version of X3AP?

kaylo7
x3tc

Post by kaylo7 » Thu, 18. Jul 13, 06:09

Alright my previous post is wrong - changing CCC settings (any of them) isn't what's fixing menu lag. Alt-tabbing is.

Quick recap - 80-90% of the time I start up the game menus lag. Alt-tabbing and changing *any* setting in CCC generally fixed it, though I had to alt-tab and change settings several times on occasion to get it to run smoothly in menus.

I found out that this was not what was fixing it though - the alt-tabbing itself is the fix. So currently, I fire up the game, and if it lags I alt-tab back and forth until menus run smoothly. This works every time, though sometimes it takes 4-5 alt-tabs before menus become smooth. There's an in-between as well, where menus lag less but it's still not quite smooth. Further alt-tabbing brings stuttering down more until it stops completely. I have no idea why that is, but it's worked for me. Can anyone else manage to fix menu stuttering via alt-tabbing?

Edit: Oh and on a side note, I downloaded and fired up XTM(Xtended Mod fyi) for the first time in a couple years, and can report no stuttering at all while playing. It's possible XTC in general doesn't have the menu stuttering issues like AP does, though I haven't tried to play it without XTM installed yet.

Edit of Edit: XTC does have menu stuttering with XTM installed - it's just not very pronounced. I've found that XTC menus sometimes stutter after I alt-tab and occasionally when I first fire it up, but the stuttering is only really noticeable when something is visible and moving on the screen while a menu is open and being scrolled through. Then the menu still feels pretty smooth but the object jerks slightly while moving in the background.

Adding on a lot of extra scripts (the 25 or so I generally use) causes this effect to increase, so I'm betting it's tied to CPU or GPU usage in some way. AP uses more system resources than TC, so this is likely why stuttering doesn't appear in vanilla TC at all. Still no idea what's causing it, but alt-tabbing until menus become smooth has worked every time for me, and I've been on an XTAP binge for the past week to test this.
Oh, and just in case it might be related, I always have generic libraries, hotkey manager, ware manager, etc. and such installed through the plugin, as well as either PSCO1's or Imp's cockpit mod. Honestly, how do some of you play without a cockpit? Extra visibility doesn't make up for the awesome cockpit feel.

And no I haven't notified ATI. This is obviously an issue they're aware of, at least for other games. If you read their patch notes (which I did while troubleshooting) you'll notice their last two patches addressed menu stuttering in other games, though it's listed as fixed. No longer releasing monthly updates is probably a good thing though, as it lessens the likelihood of them breaking as much whenever an update is released.

kubovsky
x3ap

Post by kubovsky » Mon, 2. Sep 13, 23:24

hi fellow X Pilots, i already posted this in another thread, but i thought it could help to post it here too, to reach you guys who follow this specific thread.

i've got the same Menu LAG problem with the 13.4 ati drivers and i found a solution with some help from google Rolling Eyes

i did not want to roll back my latest drivers only for albion prelude. so i did the following:

downloaded the 12.1 ati drivers. extracted them to a temporary folder NOT installed them!

did this

http://www.kn00tcn.net/site/how-to-extr ... -packages/

to extract the needed atiumdag.dll file

now im using an extracted dll from the 12.1 drivers and it works perfect!

if you are lazy, just use this link to download the extracted 12.1 dll-file and copy it to your AP game folder. (i extracted it on my computer and uploaded it to this site)

http://www.file-upload.net/download-803 ... g.dll.html

the folder where the X3AP.exe is located. on my computer with the Steam Version of Albion Prelude its located at

"name of the Drive" \Steam\SteamApps\common\x3 terran conflict

NOW the game will run the 12.1 version of the ATI Catalyst Package

have fun

!!! thx to kn00tcn for this really useful trick !!!

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 3. Sep 13, 11:33

Thanks kubovsky: That is useful to know although of course Egosoft cannot take responsibility for the benefits or otherwise for your system and hardware of following such 3rd party advice and tips. It would certainly help if acting as described were the only outcome. Sending feedback to AMD is still highly recommended.

Link to similar thread.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Zaknafein
xr

Post by Zaknafein » Mon, 14. Apr 14, 12:49

i know this thread is a bit rusty but i got similar problems:

game runs in space with 34-60 fps , depending on which sector etc.
in property-menu it drops to 8-9 fps. so with a bit of searching i found this thread and tried the atiumdag.dll file and copied it to my terran conflict folder (i play newest ap version+mods). i get an error when starting the game:

"error opening video.
check your display settings!
furhter info can be found in the manual or readme.txt"

i tried the file provided here and i extracted the one in the catalyst 13.1 package. same error with both files :/ . anyone got a solution for this?
im running 64 bit win 7 and have a hd 7870.
Ofc ***modified***, modders doing what Egosoft cant.

KyoNeko
x3ap

Post by KyoNeko » Wed, 11. Jun 14, 09:36

While i feel bad about pulling up a old topic like this. It probably makes more sense then to make a new topic for the exact same problem. Just like other people stated, the game runs fine as it is. But in menu's of any kind, specially with SETA active, fps drops really really low.

I have tried to put the .dll in my X3 folder however instead of solving any problem the moment i start up X3 i right away get the message the application stopped working and shuts it down, no further error message.

My current driver version is 14.4 and i am using windows 8. Hopefully someone has a good idea to solve this with.

je8
x3ap

Post by je8 » Thu, 3. Jul 14, 18:14

I Have the same issue. Running X3-AP 3.1 (Windows 8.1 x64)

Just bought a new computer with AMD card. (R9 290X)
Catalyst Driver 14.4

Can't use the DLL from 12.1 as i get the following message when starting the game if i do so:
Error opening video.
Check your display settings!
Further information can be found in the manual or readme.txt
I have sent a support survey to AMD aswell.

Informer
x4

Post by Informer » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 23:32

je8 wrote:I Have the same issue. Running X3-AP 3.1 (Windows 8.1 x64)

Just bought a new computer with AMD card. (R9 290X)
Catalyst Driver 14.4

Can't use the DLL from 12.1 as i get the following message when starting the game if i do so:
Error opening video.
Check your display settings!
Further information can be found in the manual or readme.txt
I have sent a support survey to AMD aswell.
Did you get any response from amd?

I can only fix part of this problem with the RadeonPro tool. With this tool I have very quick menu's in X3AP or even in X3 LU. But I have to play X3AP in window mode. Because if I don't play in windowmode, I still have very quick menus but a very slow mouse control. Couldn't find out why yet.
I have a R290X card.

BlitzIn4
x3tc

Post by BlitzIn4 » Fri, 3. Jul 15, 03:14

Windows 8.1 64-bit, i7-4790k, R9 270X. Testing for X3:AP.

Tried 3 different atiumdag.dll files,
12.1, 13.1, 13.9 - none worked yet.

I'll keep trying, the problem is finding those old ati drivers. Maybe it's on their FTP servers? (doubtful)

The RadeonPro tweak fixes the issue. Here are the instructions how to set it up:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... 16#4388516

You only need to make the changes on the Tweaks tab, AND as Informer mentioned above, you must run the game in windowed mode.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Mon, 6. Jul 15, 23:29

A very old thread. If you have an issue, please start your own tech support thread.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”