Migrating a TC install to a new PC - Mods and all

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Jaramr
x4

Migrating a TC install to a new PC - Mods and all

Post by Jaramr » Sun, 18. May 14, 20:54

Hello, Egosoft Forums! I am suprised I still have a account here, it must have been a long time ago, since it has my old kid email address. Anyways, ive put some heavy time into X3 TC over the years, and I am ready to do it all over again with the latest versions of my favourite mods. The only problem is that I am going to be buying a completely new computer in a few months, which with its glorious SSD and assorted parts that would have been a madmans dream in 2008 will make short work of the save game degredation.

The problem though is that I want to start the game now, and since I am wiping the harddrive of my current PC and giving the entire thing to a friend, I need to figure out how to migrate over my install. Usually copying the save file works for most games, but with my blend of mods I am concerned that if I get a new install up and running that I will either miss something installing my mods, or that there will be new versions that will be incompatible with my save game.

Im planning to copy my X3 TC folder in Steam over to a USB drive, and then copying that into the Steam folder of my new PC. Ive never done something like this before, so I dont really know how well it would work. In my experience steam is extremely finnicky, and might not accept that install as the "real" install and try to download the whole thing again.

If the folder thing doesnt work, I can try a complete install from Steam, and then do the previous thing of modding it up and hoping that my save game works again. I dont know how well TC responds to updating mods on running savegames, so on my last game I had a very old version of XRM running since I didnt even want to try. So i am also wondering how well TC deals with stuff like that.

Hopefully you guys can give me some good info on this stuff. :)

Trooper1994
x4

Post by Trooper1994 » Sun, 18. May 14, 23:34

When you're ready to wipe the HDD take a usb copy the entire X3Tc folder and the entire save folder that also has your profiles.

Then on your new Pc download X3Tc threw steam when its done installing take the X3Tc you just copyed to your usb and overwrite the newly installed X3Tc that you installed via steam should work fine then.

[EDIT] Make sure to over write your save/profile folder that you also copyed.
("why can't I make risk-free credits while I slay the universe in my Black Death Ship of Pokemon that lobs auto-generating Fragmentation Bomb Launching Jesus Missiles at everything within 6,000 KM?" -Litcube 10/17/14)

[ external image ]

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”