X2 messed up audio announcements? - Resolved.

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Nova15
x2

X2 messed up audio announcements? - Resolved.

Post by Nova15 » Tue, 2. Sep 14, 12:28

I've had my fun with X2 for a long time now.
Yesterday I tried to install it to another computer of mine which runs on Windows 7.
I followed the instructions here, and I got it to work beautifully, except for one thing:

The audio announcements do not make sense.
For example, I target a factory or something, and the announcements starts to say something about space weed. Or I use the autopilot and the game plays a short audio excerpt from a video sequence with Elena K.

I tried to find some other post but looks like I am the first with this problem.

Any ideas? On my other computer it works totally fine.
The Nova

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 4. Sep 14, 20:06

**moved to Technical support forum**

A couple of things come to my mind:
- A damaged or missing 00044.pck file, which links the (English) main text file and voice recordings file. The file is stored inside the catalog files,
- A damaged English voice recording file (00144.dat). The file is stored within the game folder in the "mov"-subfolder. Whereby this is rather unlikely, since a damaged file couldn't probably played at all.
- Maybe a codec problem. Some audio codecs may interfer with the ones X2 uses.

To rule out any installation and patching problems an easy solution would be copying the whole X2: The Threat folder from your first to your second PC running Windows 7. If the problem persists, then a codec problem would be more likely.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Nova15
x2

Post by Nova15 » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 04:39

I checked and cannot find any file named 00044.pck. Where exactly should it be and where can I get it from? Reason I'm asking is that I can't find it on the 2 discs I got either.

The 00144.dat file seems fine.
The Nova

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 16. Sep 14, 12:53

Have you reinstalled or recopied the game folder across? That should fix any transfer corruption issues.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Nova15
x2

Works

Post by Nova15 » Tue, 23. Sep 14, 04:34

I now re-copied everything for the 5th time or so, and I started with the game CD first, instead of the Install CD. Not sure why but it works now. Thanks for your patience!
The Nova

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 23. Sep 14, 23:36

If you've applied the updates from Egosoft's download page, you shouldn't have to start from any CD. The 1.4 no-copy-protection patch removes Starforce, which isn't very compatible with Win 7 anyway.

Here's a link to the patches: http://www.egosoft.com/download/x2/patches_en.php
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”