X3:R window mode: moving the window

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

mord35

X3:R window mode: moving the window

Post by mord35 » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 17:23

Is there a way to move the window to the side of the screen in window mode?
It would be nice to watch a video on the side while flying in SETA.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 10. Feb 09, 17:46

No, sorry.

tanjo
x3tc

Post by tanjo » Sat, 14. Feb 09, 15:02

Why not? Can this be changed in a future update?

I play in a window too so that I can keep an eye on some background tasks like downloads etc (tripple core or greater processors are a god send!) so I too would like to be able to move the window to the side.

I have played other games in windows that normally do not allow you to move the window but have found ways to move them. X3 is the only game so far that keeps forcing the window to be centered so that it 'jumps' back after I move the window!

Just stopping the game from doing that in a future update would be good enough for me.

For those people who would like to know the main method of moving a game window that takes control of the mouse as soon as it gains focus (which normally prevents moving the window)...

Take focus away from the game by using Alt-Tab or the Windows key. Right click the task bar button for the game, the mouse will vanish as the game will gain focus but the menu will remain visible. Use the keyboard to navigate the menu and select the Move option. Then, using the keyboard still, move the window to the desired location on the desktop using the cursor keys and then place it using the Return or Enter keys.

As I siad X3 is the only game I have played so far that will keep restoring the window's location at every frame update! This is NOT in accordance to Microsoft's guidelines for creating Direct X games for Windows!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 15. Feb 09, 01:39

There are no plans for any future patches for X3R.

tanjo
x3tc

Post by tanjo » Sun, 8. Mar 09, 22:13

:evil:

:idea: Ok... so... if you are no longer going to provide patches for X3: Reunion, can I hack it and create the patch for allowing moving the window myself and release it for others to use without fear of prosecution? :wink:

(Don't worry, I would never do anything like that for real without written permission from the copyright owners... Copyright infringement is a crime people, obey the law! :roll: )

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Mon, 9. Mar 09, 01:06

Actually, assuming it was a minor modification, and you released it as a patch (i.e. not the entire executable) you'd be fine, I'm pretty sure. The question mark I have would be the reverse engineering of the executable, which may be illegal depending on your location.

Usual disclaimers apply: IANAL, this isn't legal advice, I don't know what I'm talking about, etc. :wink:

megalomania21

Post by megalomania21 » Thu, 31. Dec 09, 20:02

For those of you looking to move the window to one side, there is an easy way to do it. With X3 running in windowed mode, alt-tab out of it to some other running application, right click your Windows taskbar in some empty spot and click “Cascade Windows.” This will cause all of your windows to stack in the upper left corner of your screen, moving down and to the right with each subsequent window. If you are fortunate like I was, the X3 window will be at the far left.

I have been playing this game for a couple weeks now after seeing it for sale recently, it is my semester break activity, and I must say it is a rather enjoyable game. I have been trying to get a handle on using the complex bonus scripts, such as the CAG and commodities logistics, which necessitates me constantly switching between the game and the forum threads trying to figure out how to get the feature to work. Having the game on the side of my widescreen monitor really helps me save on ink when reading the numerous supplementary materials provided by this community.

Nate--IRL--
x3tc

Post by Nate--IRL-- » Sat, 31. Dec 11, 03:57

Thanks for that, it is annoying that it is not possible to place the window in windowed mode- but "cascade" works. Thank you.

Nate

HornyZealot
x4

Post by HornyZealot » Mon, 30. Apr 12, 19:50

Genius! Thanks for your input, was about to give up finding a way until you gave this simple yet ingenius way. You have my gratitude.

Khono
x4

Post by Khono » Wed, 2. Jan 13, 10:38

There is a program out there that will do this. Pausep.

1. Can get it from here:

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/threads/pausep.aspx

2. Open up X3 (any version I think, possibly any windowed program) in windowed mode.

3. Open up CMD (hold windows key and press "R", then type in CMD and hit [ENTER])

4. Navigate to where you installed pausep. So for example, I installed it to c:\pausep so I would type: cd c:/pausep

5. Now you will need the code for the program you're running. Type: pausep into cmd and press enter. Find your program in that list. For me, the ID is 4552.

6. Now to pause the game, type in "pausep" and then the ID for the game. For example: pausep 4552

7. Now you can move the window around!

8. Once you've moved it and want to play, you need to resume the game, so type "pausep", then the program ID, then "/r". For example: pausep 4552 /r

Takes a bit of time but it can really help with multitasking and it sounds more reliable than cascading the windows.

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeR9IKhwGz0

x3tc

Post by 26072013 » Tue, 30. Jul 13, 13:00

It's an old thread, but anyway: http://taekwindow.net/
Very simple to use, free program to 'ALT-drag' a window.

weltall2
x3ap

Post by weltall2 » Sun, 7. Sep 14, 01:18

Not trying to keep such an old post alive but by god this last program that was suggest really solved the problem without the need of CMD. Not just posting this to thank the person who posted it, but also to point out this indeed works awesomely. I play my games only in windowed mode so with this I finally am able to just open X3, drag it to the side and play without any worries!

nusscom
x3tc

Post by nusscom » Wed, 17. Sep 14, 12:28

This is great! Thanks.
nusscom

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”