Trying to get Vanilla game of TC - Resolved by disabling McAfee real-time checks

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Yulric
x3tc

Trying to get Vanilla game of TC - Resolved by disabling McAfee real-time checks

Post by Yulric » Sun, 28. Sep 14, 10:09

Familiar story ... Played for a while -- had to go away for awhile -- now trying to return to X universe.......

My problem is this. Want to do a Vanilla game this time around - however...

I install game from CD - its a 2.5 version -- Do a quick check to ensure it starts. Select merchant start - when loaded up and running - I go to Pilot Stats window - scroll down to the bottom - and all is as I expect.

I then install patch - does not matter which - 1.0 to 3.2 or 2.0 to 3.0 - let game load up as before with Merchant start - return to the Pilots Stats window - scroll down to bottom and it says "modded".

Am I too late to attempt a vanilla game in TC or am I misunderstanding what I am allowed to do - to play Vanilla, I thought patch and Bonus Pack was ok to retain Vanilla status -- has this changed ???

Information appreciated - thank you

Yul

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 28. Sep 14, 13:54

No, what you are doing should not cause the modded tag as long as you are starting a new game each time and not loading an old save.

Where are you getting your patches from? Is it the download page at Egosoft or are you using older downloads you had from before that were stored somewhere? I ask because files stored for a time can be changed by compression or encryption of stored files.

Are you running any real-time virus or security checks? Some real-time checkers can cause the modded flag when they affect the files once loaded into RAM even though the files on the harddrive are fine. If so, try with real-time checks off.

Have you checked that you are using the correct and latest X3TC Bonus Pack? There are some older versions still left lying around, and the packs for X3TC and X3AP are different and go in different places.

You could also try clearing the virtual store - see the end of this.

Generally speaking, we advise correctly patching to latest version immediately on installation and not attempting to run any earlier or interim versions in between. We also advise use of the 1.0.1-3.2 patch in case the version on the DVD is not what you think it is.

You can of course also register your DVD code with Steam and download and play the Steam version for free as shown here. For a small cost you could also get Steam X3AP.

Good luck.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Yulric
x3tc

Post by Yulric » Sun, 28. Sep 14, 16:35

Hello there Alan -- and thanks for the response --

I am starting a new game each time and doing exactly as I stated above - with the patches coming from Egosoft with 24 hours prior to my OP. This is a new comp from when I played before -- and no longer have any saves..

This comp does have a real time running scan by McAfee -- I will try and turn that off and see if difference.

Never even got as far as the bonus packs -- Though I do plan to apply once past this issue -- this occurs right after applying Patch. Hope not have an issue with the bonus packs once this is cleared -- and I will be getting the download from Egosoft when I get that far.

Will also do a re-install as described in that thread you indicated -- I do think I un-installed via control panel - but did not do any deletes as it indicates.

As for Steam, provided that any life is moved to safety - Steam can implode upon itself and not be missed by any intelligent life form. They are the major contributor as to why I do not play my Skyrim or Civ V games today -- they are just sitting on a shelf looking pretty.

Thanks once again Alan for giving me a few things to check out and do and for reaffirming that vanilla is still possible.

Yul

Yulric
x3tc

Post by Yulric » Sun, 28. Sep 14, 20:56

Hello Alan - and thanks. It seems your advice is precise. It was the McAfee running scan as the culprit. I now have a patched AND Bonus Pack attached to the game and no "modded" as I saw before -- atleast not where I saw it previously.

Thanks again for making this afternoon a bit more enjoyable than the one I had yesterday.

Yul

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 28. Sep 14, 21:30

Good to hear - enjoy the game!
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”