AP: OOS Fleet Turret settings ...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gersidi

AP: OOS Fleet Turret settings ...

Post by Gersidi » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 03:36

I am in the process of building a sector defense fleet that will be primarily OOS.

I have a Colossus M1 with PPC's and CIG's, and it has Eclipses docked at in a wing that have HEPT's and PACS on the turrets, the wing currently set to protect the Colossus.

I also have a TYR with PSP's and SSC's that is parked in the sector.

I have no clue as to how I should set up the turrets and commands for these ships. Any help would be appreciated!

Sector is US next to Legend's Home.

Joe McCracken
x3tc

Post by Joe McCracken » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 08:51

I normally use missile defense. That keeps my ships from killing non-aggressive red ships. Helps with rep. You shouldn't have big problems with that setting in US east of Legends home.

Of course if they are aggressive then that setting takes care of it.
I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun, hide in the asteroids and laugh at what I done, put a blood blister upon each bun, I'd like to shoot you in the butt with a EBC gun.
Some people are like slinkies, not worth a whole lot, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Vim Razz
x4

Post by Vim Razz » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 12:10

Turrets don't actually "exist" in OOS combat, the weapons on them just get added in with the main guns. So the only real rule is: don't mix ammo-based weapons with energy-based weapons on ships that you expect to do any work OOS.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sun, 5. Oct 14, 13:24

In vanilla, there are no weapon energy, weapon range or Area Effect damage calculations OOS so a generally good rule for OOS is to mount the most damaging non-area effect energy weapons that will fit in the turrets (and frontal battery if applicable). All OOS laser and AI missile combat takes place at close encounter range.

Do not allow large ships other than missile frigates/bombers to use missiles OOS; the AI only fires one warhead per combat round *instead* of all the factored total ship-mounted lasers damage that would otherwise apply that round.

Naturally, IS weapon loadouts would probably be entirely different to the above.

My advice is mainly based on X3TC experience and X3AP has indeed improved OOS combat over that for TC - but I have found that sticking to the above principles in OOS fleets even in X3AP has not let me down once.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Reimu Hakurei
x3tc

Post by Reimu Hakurei » Sat, 11. Oct 14, 06:03

Vim Razz wrote:Turrets don't actually "exist" in OOS combat, the weapons on them just get added in with the main guns. So the only real rule is: don't mix ammo-based weapons with energy-based weapons on ships that you expect to do any work OOS.
Why's that? Do all the weapons refuse to fire once the ammo-based ones run out?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 11. Oct 14, 08:54

Reimu Hakurei wrote: Why's that? Do all the weapons refuse to fire once the ammo-based ones run out?
That certainly used to be the case--I have no idea if that particular bug has ever been fixed, so probably best to either test it yourself or assume it still happens.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 11. Oct 14, 13:49

.. and there was a further X3TC bug that if you mixed ammo and non-ammo weapons in or among turrets and main batteries OOS then only the ammo-using weapons would be used to calculate the laser damage per round. That was even with all ammo types available. Then all firing stopped OOS when any type of ammo for any mounted weapon ran out. Again, I have no idea how far X3AP got with fixing these issues that were in X3TC. I play safe in both games and just mount big energy lasers for OOS use as a result.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

OniGanon

Post by OniGanon » Sat, 11. Oct 14, 14:36

Given that energy usage isn't a factor OoS, ammo based weaponry is a bit pointless anyway in that situation.

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Sun, 12. Oct 14, 02:07

Allan is correct.. there is no telling if the OOS ammo bug from TC is already fixed in AP.. so to play safe just mount the laser with the biggest damage per shot.. another thing to consider is Ammo-based weapons consume one crate of ammo every turn when OOS as opposed to 250 rounds per crate when IS..

DrBullwinkle
x3tc

Post by DrBullwinkle » Sun, 12. Oct 14, 19:12

I did some testing on this a while back, in AP 3.x, and it appeared to me that the bug has been fixed.
  • (However, I did the test on a fast computer. Since one of the bugs is/was related to gun priorities, it is possible that slower computers may still have an issue. I tested with 500 ships fighting OOS in order to try to force the bug, but could not do it.)

That said, there is no benefit in using ammo-based weapons OOS. It really only matters to ships that you might equip for mixed IS/OOS duties. Personally, I only mix gun types on the player ship.
  • (Another way to think about it is that choice of guns is not very important to AI-flown ships, whether IS or OOS. Shields are, usually, the deciding factor in AI-vs-AI combat.)

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Mon, 13. Oct 14, 02:21

DrBullwinkle wrote:I did some testing on this a while back, in AP 3.x, and it appeared to me that the bug has been fixed.
  • (However, I did the test on a fast computer. Since one of the bugs is/was related to gun priorities, it is possible that slower computers may still have an issue. I tested with 500 ships fighting OOS in order to try to force the bug, but could not do it.)

That said, there is no benefit in using ammo-based weapons OOS. It really only matters to ships that you might equip for mixed IS/OOS duties. Personally, I only mix gun types on the player ship.
  • (Another way to think about it is that choice of guns is not very important to AI-flown ships, whether IS or OOS. Shields are, usually, the deciding factor in AI-vs-AI combat.)
Naw I think someone from patching team back when OOS changes in AP were talked about mentioned they ironed out all that nonsense so it shouldn't be affected by anything now. Or maybe it was Cycrow giving some heads up on stuff? Ughh I don't remember all I remember is that this specific issue was discussed and and it was fixed.

But yeah anyway. Mount the highest per-shot weapons and forget anything that uses ammo. While GC is orgasmic IS, it's utter crap OOS and not only because it eats more ammo per fight then aran can carry(well... not THAT bad... but close enough if you factor in amount of cargo cap ship uses for shields and weapons then the little left is simply not enough to carry all those ammo boxes) but also because GC per projectile damage is pitiful. DPS on GC is great because projectiles are fast and RoF is great but each individual projectile is too weak compared to everything else in category. OOS only thing that matters is projectile damage not dps, not rof, not energy use none of that.

Only thing I know from the things that didn't get fixed is the UI weapon limit per "type/group/". We are still stuck with 12 changeable weapons and the rest have to be pulled in and out via scripts/editing. -_- kind of always rubbed me the wrong way.
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 22. Oct 14, 16:41

I beleive the problem with ammo based weapons was fixed with the upgdate to the OOS system. This was available in TC (but you had to manually enable it). And was included in the base game for AP

hisazul
xr

Post by hisazul » Wed, 22. Oct 14, 18:21

Cycrow wrote:I beleive the problem with ammo based weapons was fixed with the upgdate to the OOS system. This was available in TC (but you had to manually enable it). And was included in the base game for AP
O_O

/wuv

Haven't seen you post in years :P
“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.” - Albert Einstein

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 10:29

hisazul wrote:
Cycrow wrote:I beleive the problem with ammo based weapons was fixed with the upgdate to the OOS system. This was available in TC (but you had to manually enable it). And was included in the base game for AP
O_O

/wuv

Haven't seen you post in years :P
i've mainly been in the S&M forum ;)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”