[Suggestion] Fighters be able to dock on Carriers

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lander1979
x4

[Suggestion] Fighters be able to dock on Carriers

Post by Lander1979 » Thu, 23. Oct 14, 20:01

It would be good if fighters were to be able to dock/undock on carriers. Especially useful for the Carrier to act as a "Jump-Ship" and "Mobile Repair Base".

Apparently this will mean the need to implement carrier logic for the carriers and the fighters. ATM Carriers just have bigger drone bays than other ships, and fighters do not want to dock at them.

wwdragon
x4

Post by wwdragon » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 22:12

Yeah....
Maybe it'll be in 3.0. 8)
I'd especially like that they auto-repair the docked fighters and ships.
All ships that hold drones should auto repair them!
Editing posts since long before I remember.

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Fri, 24. Oct 14, 22:51

wwdragon wrote: All ships that hold drones should auto repair them!
+1 I agree. Especially mining ships that have a habit of drilling holes in their own collector drones with their mining lasers.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 25. Oct 14, 22:56

If carriers would be able to dock fighters and repair them (using e.g. new ware called repair supplies) then this would be first clearly superior game part comparing to previous X-game.

I love that you don't have to customize fighters, just buy & use.

Felix Adama

Post by Felix Adama » Sun, 26. Oct 14, 02:33

I also agree that fighters should be able to dock on carriers, otherwise apart from some additional drones what use is it to have the carriers? Since the release of the new ships the Argon capitals that are more of a destroyer design are more appealing due to firepower etc. than a carrier that can only spew drones at enemy targets. Forgive me if I'm wrong but can't the Argon ships also do that? The ability to jump in with 100 fighters docked and launch them to take down targets would be awesome and give carrier fleets some of the skills that their name suggests they should have. The ability to repair would just be the icing on the cake!!!

Lander1979
x4

Post by Lander1979 » Sun, 26. Oct 14, 02:43

I'm excited about the prospect of this being included in game. A few thoughts and suggestions on carrier design and logic;

1. When a fighter is assigned to a carrier it should then dock on the carrier.

2. When a Carrier attacks, it should not have to be in range of it's on-board weapons systems; the carrier should use it's fighters to attack, and the carriers on-board weapons systems should be used for defensive purposes.

3. The Carrier should launch a number and type of fighters suitable for the engagement, recalling individual fighters at a specified amount of hull damage, which would be configurable by the player.

4. The carrier's commander would need a considerable budget for the rearmament and repair of it's fighters.

6. The carrier will need a magazine for the storage of ammunition used by it's fighters, as well as a hold for spare parts for the fighters.

7. The carrier should be provided with a few small trade ships for the purpose of re-stocking the magazine, spare parts hold, and jump fuel (IMO this would be better than relying on cargo lifter drones, as the carrier can replenish itself from out of sector factories without having to leave it's post).

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”