Station Building: Command Relay - What's it for?

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nagittchi
x4

Station Building: Command Relay - What's it for?

Post by Nagittchi » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 14:18

So I understand it extend that radar range to 50k - but what's really the point of this? Does it attract more traders?

I was hoping that once I built this my Manager would be able to be set to Galaxy trading but alas...

Trucifere
x4

Post by Trucifere » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 14:52

Good question :) Without answer, I still have all my stations without Command Relay build.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 14:53

it does seem the obvious purpose of the building. perhaps in the future?

it has alot of potential for script interaction, imo. it's just not there.
Irrational factors are clearly at work.

Nick 031287
x3tc

Post by Nick 031287 » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 15:20

i thought the command relay was so you can control your assets in each sector.

maybe they will add that feature soon

its funny really... the command relay was one of the first screenshots we saw. and they never even implemented its feature lol

Ruges
x4

Post by Ruges » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 15:23

It extends radar coverage of the area. You can only get details on ships that are withen one of your assets radar coverage.

With the station radar you will now have access to futher points in the zone even when you are not in it. Meaning you could watch the system map and see when an enemy cap ship is approaching your station before its already inrange of the station.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 15:46

What does it do when build: Increases subordinate range. Ships being controlled by the station can make further trade routes.

What does it not do when not build/destroyed: No radar to detect enemies on longer distances (boundingbox+3km). These enemies will not be attacked by the station if they are more than 3km away from the stations bounding box.

LordSneazy
x4

Post by LordSneazy » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 16:06

@Linolafett - What do you mean by can make further trade routes? Are you saying that the station manager can only assign new commands when the ships are within range of the station? So after the ship has completed it's task, it has to go back to the station to acquire it's next command? If so, 50km seems like a very small radius to acquire new commands. I would assume by my knowledge of radios, as long as you have line of sight you should be able to communicate. So I don't see why in space, you wouldn't be able to communicate with other ships and stations within one sector. As long as their isn't a planet in the way, it also wouldn't be that hard to communicate within the same cluster either.

Too me, the radar dish seems like it would be more for intergalactic communications. While I know in real life via radar it would probably take millions of year to transmit, we could assume the transmission are linked to the gate system and transmit instantly.

Kefallos

Post by Kefallos » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 18:23

LordSneazy wrote: If so, 50km seems like a very small radius to acquire new commands.
Usually 50 k (k=thousend) are 50.000 and not 50 kilometer.

If I'm not wrong.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 18:37

Kefallos wrote:
LordSneazy wrote: If so, 50km seems like a very small radius to acquire new commands.
Usually 50 k (k=thousend) are 50.000 and not 50 kilometer.

If I'm not wrong.
50 km = 50 kilometers = 50.000 meters (kilo is the SI prefix for thousand)
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

Ruges
x4

Post by Ruges » Thu, 30. Oct 14, 18:42

linolafett wrote:What does it do when build: Increases subordinate range. Ships being controlled by the station can make further trade routes.
Elebrate more on this please. Right now with or without it built I can set my manager to operational range of subordinates to zone, sector, and system. Are you saying they wont use sector or system if the station does not have the dish? or you saying they will search other stations beyond the system if you do have it?

Luke0086

Post by Luke0086 » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 12:53

linolafett wrote:What does it do when build: Increases subordinate range. Ships being controlled by the station can make further trade routes.

What does it not do when not build/destroyed: No radar to detect enemies on longer distances (boundingbox+3km). These enemies will not be attacked by the station if they are more than 3km away from the stations bounding box.
Ive seen it change the manager's setting of subordinates being controlled in the 'system' instead of just the 'sector'. (When you build the relay, it automatically changes the setting)

However, I've noticed I can manually change that setting to 'system' before the radar is built, and a mining ship I issued to one of my stations in Devries, did jump to another sector in the system to mine resources, without that station having the communications relay.

Could you please clear up my confusion?

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 15:43

^^ yeap, I'm in the same situation. I can't fully grasp how traders get affected since without radar dish all my traders go back and forth all over the place in glaring truth@Devries.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:10

Adding the Radar should give an additional level "System" to the maximum range of subordinates. Without the radar, changing it (to "system" wide) shouldnt work, or shouldnt make a difference how the ships behave.
Asked the Coder who did the menu: There seemed to be an issue with it in 2.5 it should work now as intended with 3.0. COuld you verify that, when the Beta is being released? :)

Luke0086

Post by Luke0086 » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:17

No problem thanks for the response :-)

But just to make sure, like I said above, one of my miners did jump across the devries system before I built a relay. So if it was presumed a problem only with the menu, a problem may still exist. May! Haha.

bm01
x4

Post by bm01 » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:22

Luke0086 wrote:Ive seen it change the manager's setting of subordinates being controlled in the 'system' instead of just the 'sector'. (When you build the relay, it automatically changes the setting)

However, I've noticed I can manually change that setting to 'system' before the radar is built, and a mining ship I issued to one of my stations in Devries, did jump to another sector in the system to mine resources, without that station having the communications relay.

Could you please clear up my confusion?
You can change that setting but it'll be ignored if the radar isn't built.

Code: Select all

<set_value name="$bigship" exact="$subordinate.isclass.ship_l or $subordinate.isclass.ship_xl" />
        <set_value name="$maxrange" exact="this.sector" />
        <!-- hack: if we are above 30km (50km) then the radar component has been built allowing cluster-wide operations -->
        <do_if value="$bigship and (this.station.maxradarrange gt 30km)">
          <set_value name="$maxrange" exact="this.cluster" />
        </do_if>
        <do_if value="this.$config_subordinate_range?">
          <do_if value="this.$config_subordinate_range.isclass.cluster and $maxrange.isclass.cluster">
            <set_value name="$maxrange" exact="this.$config_subordinate_range" />
          </do_if>
        </do_if>
The second part of this script is a little hard to understand, but basically if you set the parameter to "cluster" but you don't have the radar built (note that it also must be a L or XL ship), then $maxrange will be "sector".

Also, apparently the radar affects patrol distance of... Well, patrolling ships belonging to the station.

Luke0086

Post by Luke0086 » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:29

Do you mean the reason my mining ship went out of sector is because the game doesn't class it as L/XL perhaps?

Nagittchi
x4

Post by Nagittchi » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:36

linolafett wrote:Asked the Coder who did the menu: There seemed to be an issue with it in 2.5 it should work now as intended with 3.0. COuld you verify that, when the Beta is being released? :)
So what you're saying is, right now my mining ships who are jumping to other sectors to mine in DeVries shouldn't be doing so without a command relay and this will be patched at 3.0?

bm01
x4

Post by bm01 » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:45

Luke0086 wrote:Do you mean the reason my mining ship went out of sector is because the game doesn't class it as L/XL perhaps?
What I meant is that M sized trader ships can only do in-sector stuff.
At least theoretically. I've never used them.
Last edited by bm01 on Fri, 31. Oct 14, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 16:50

System->Sector->Zone.
No Relay on the station, only Sector wide trade will be possible.
With the relay System wide (in the whole Devries System for example).

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Fri, 31. Oct 14, 17:09

linolafett wrote:COuld you verify that, when the Beta is being released? :)
Sure we can. So, when is it released? :)
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”