Elite: Dangerous looks better already!

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 20:02

Steel wrote:I think I will need to retire before I dare to play this game....it will consume my time....

[Haven't read the whole thread] Can someone give me a quick good points v bad points summary?

Thanks

Steel
Howdo, long time

Plus,
Game looks awesome, plays well, is immense, is nothing like X games.

Bad,
No offline single player, still feels a bit hollow and erm,, is nothing like X games.

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 20:31

Cheers Avis (still have the Sector map on my office wall you did ;) )

I watched a video and saw some of the ships from the original and got all excited!

Maybe I will wait until the bugs are ironed out (so not to disappoint) and its filled up nicely. Still excited about it though!

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 21:19

Hi Steel :)

The Game's fantastic.
Just downloaded it this morning. (5am) spent a few hours mapping out keyboard and joystick, did an hour or two practicing docking (I'm now an expert :fg: ) then did a few more tutorials on combat. etc. So I thought I was reasonably ready to dip my toes into the Solo Mode this evening.

I'm now stuck on a god forsaken station in the Achenar System I think, (Bosch Terminal). It's one of those smaller outside landing pad stations. Very detailed and looks magnificent, trouble is when I go to launch me boat the fricken thing won't take off.
I was tempted to play the open mode to see if booting the game up in there would make any difference. I kinda thought if it was still the same problem Avis & Steve could meet me here and jump start the F*&%^&%g thing! :D

Seriously...Everything works okay in the tutorials (apart from a bug or two) and I'm surprised how well it runs and looks at the moment, but for some reason I just can't get the ship up off it's fat A**e in the Solo Online. :?
I'll stick a ticket in tomorrow.....

Anyhow, nice to see you back on the Forum again. :wink:

Oldman :)

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 21:50

Holy smokes! its Steel

I cant tell you anymore than whats been said, just wanted to say hello!

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sun, 23. Nov 14, 23:57

Oldman wrote:Seriously...Everything works okay in the tutorials (apart from a bug or two) and I'm surprised how well it runs and looks at the moment, but for some reason I just can't get the ship up off it's fat A**e in the Solo Online. :?
You do have the upward thrust bound?
Try quitting and re-loading.

Maybe you didn't pay your parking fine so have been clamped by NCP? :-P
Steel wrote:Cheers Avis (still have the Sector map on my office wall you did ;) )
Forgot all about that, I've got it somewhere in a cardboard tube still I think.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 02:15

Avis wrote:..You do have the upward thrust bound?
Try quitting and re-loading.

Maybe you didn't pay your parking fine so have been clamped by NCP? :-P

:D

Yeah... :) I've even deleted the save and started again in a Federal system, this time.
Re- bound the settings in the options, still no go.
When I execute 'launch', it will go through the motions from the hangar to the launch pad, but the vertical thrust still refuses to work on the pad. I've got that function set on one of the joystick base buttons btw. (works in the tutorial).

Bit late now, but I'll try mapping those functions to the keyboard etc. (in other words I'll muck about with it tomorrow :D ).
Oh yes...just remembered, in the launch window the pilots check lists are also shown on the left hand side of the screen, and also another list menu to the right, and I can't seem to get rid of them. I think I've seen some reference to that on the F. Forum.
Anyhow, I've also had some bugs with the frameshift & Hyperdrive in the tutorial, that have already been flagged up as bugs in the Gamma topic by some folks already, so no big deal. :wink:

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 02:30

You have to go through the checklist thing once when you start a new game.

By default you shouldn't have to do it again, but there is a setting for this on the rightmost pane on the right hand panel. If you accidental switched it on you'll have to go through it on every launch until you switch it off again.

EDIT:

Are you failing to complete the checklist? It's just that if it's switched on it might be preventing you from leaving while it's incomplete. IIRC you have to make all the white checkboxes go orange by pressing the relevant control for a second or two before you will gain control of the ship.
Last edited by brucewarren on Mon, 24. Nov 14, 03:10, edited 2 times in total.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 02:33

I never use the vertical thrust when launching, I just pull back on the joystick, throttle up and off I go.

I was thinking, when I started the game and I spawned in some lowly sector in the middle of nowhere, I thought to myself, you now what, I'm probably the first human ever to visit this part of the universe. :D

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 10:29

brucewarren wrote: Are you failing to complete the checklist? It's just that if it's switched on it might be preventing you from leaving while it's incomplete. IIRC you have to make all the white checkboxes go orange by pressing the relevant control for a second or two before you will gain control of the ship.
This is probably the answer. The check-list thing is a bit of a nuisance.

Steel- Hi there. Long time.

I think you'll really enjoy Elite D, being an Old School gamer. You'll need to set your expectations though. At the moment it is by and large the 'missing' Elite. It what could have come out between Elite and Frontier but with great graphics and sound.

I enjoy it a lot but it's not going to blow anyone away with cutting edge gameplay.

But if like me you enjoy just working away to scrape a living and slowly improve your ship and later, ships, then it's a lot of fun.

But be aware that this is a ready-or-not Xmas release. It's going to be missing features we all expected at launch and have a lot of rough edges.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 14:34

brucewarren wrote:You have to go through the checklist thing once when you start a new game.

By default you shouldn't have to do it again, but there is a setting for this on the rightmost pane on the right hand panel. If you accidental switched it on you'll have to go through it on every launch until you switch it off again.

EDIT:

Are you failing to complete the checklist? It's just that if it's switched on it might be preventing you from leaving while it's incomplete. IIRC you have to make all the white checkboxes go orange by pressing the relevant control for a second or two before you will gain control of the ship.
Stop Press!.

Commander "Dusty Dewclaw" residing at this moment in time at EWALD CITY (a lone outpost in Federation Space) has just recently taken possession of a Sidewinder Space Vehicle, and has at this very moment completed his pilots check list as per instructions. :oops:
Yep, I was able to launch, and after a quick buzz around landed back on the station. :D

Thanks go to Commander "Brucewarren" and Commander "Steve Mill" for the information in getting this total Rookie off the landing pad. :thumb_up:
I was, as a famous comedian once said in a sketch, with "Andre' Preview", doing something like this......"I'm playing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order". :roll:
It didn't dawn on me to ACTUALLY press/operate the specific buttons on the controller, for the checklist...ye gods!...I really am going senile! :oops:

Anyhow, I'm going to install the launcher on my other comp, today hopefully, to see what the game's like running on another/different set up.
At the moment it seems to run okay on this one. We'll see, when there's more going on in the Solo Game.

Specs of present computer.
Athlon Phenom 2 x 4 965 3.41 GHz
8 GB ram 1600Mhz DDR 3
XFX Radeon 4870 1GB x 2 (Crossfire...the crossfire might not be supported yet?)
Asus ROG Crosshair 3 Formula motherboard

The other one...

Core i5-3570K
4 GB Ram 1600Mhz
MSI R 7950 Twin Frozr 3GB BE DX11
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard.

So it will be interesting to see what, if any, the differences are.
I've got 7.1 sound rigged up on the AMD comp. (SB XFi) and the sound effects and music are pretty awesome. :thumb_up:

I'm using the onboard soundchip on the intel board and 5.1 (supported) speakers so it will be interesting to hear if there's much difference between the two there as well...sounds okay in other stuff so...*shrugs*.

Thanks again for the help...muchly appreciated. :)

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 14:58

Man navigation is putting me off, I launch, select an in system target and go to cruise speed but there are no navigation markers to tell you what direction to go and no auto-pilot, so I just end up zooming around trying to point at things to read the name and see if that is where I want to go.

The galaxy map was a real dead end for me, i think it is very very pretty and absolutely awful, I am real old school and need a 2d cos I am way to slow when zooming in on thousands of points and then decending through layers of stars..errr just confusing as hell!

No idea where I am or where to go, no missions on boards I can do and I already need 20 creds of fuel which leaves me 80!

Really hope the put together some tutorials (real ones as apposed to what they have!)

I can fly and spend 4 hours re-mapping keys (Whoop!) this game is going to put off an awful lot of players as it is not new player friendly at all!
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

theeclownbroze
x4

Post by theeclownbroze » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:07

muppetts wrote:Man navigation is putting me off, I launch, select an in system target and go to cruise speed but there are no navigation markers to tell you what direction to go and no auto-pilot, so I just end up zooming around trying to point at things to read the name and see if that is where I want to go.

The galaxy map was a real dead end for me, i think it is very very pretty and absolutely awful, I am real old school and need a 2d cos I am way to slow when zooming in on thousands of points and then decending through layers of stars..errr just confusing as hell!

No idea where I am or where to go, no missions on boards I can do and I already need 20 creds of fuel which leaves me 80!

Really hope the put together some tutorials (real ones as apposed to what they have!)

I can fly and spend 4 hours re-mapping keys (Whoop!) this game is going to put off an awful lot of players as it is not new player friendly at all!
If you select a target regardless of what it is in supercruise mode there should be a little compass that looks like a sniper cross hair with a little blue dot that indicates where you should be facing!

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:12

The little compass to the left of the radar has a blue dot on it, this is your current target. If the blue dot is full then the target is in front of you, of it is an empty blue circle, it is behind you. All you have to do is manoeuvre to line up the blue dot. Also when docking, it shows you where your docking station is.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:25

The galaxy map is actually more useful than people think. It's got a number of features people don't spot because there's no manual to speak of yet. We could do with a tutorial on how to use it to best effect.

I was watching the great Scott Manley flying to Earth and he was doing it wrong. he went the wrong way at least once and had to backtrack. The map could have saved him this trouble.

Select the place you want to go by typing it into the search box or finding it manually. Then select it as destination.

If it's possible for your ship to do the run, a yellow route will appear on the map giving you precise directions how to get there. There are two settings - most efficient which uses less fuel by using the shortest possible jumps but more of them, and quickest which uses less, more direct jumps but consumes more fuel.

The only criticism I have of it is that the route disappears when you select your first destination so it's a good idea to write down the list of places you have to go on the way.

@felter

As an aside I always do a vertical take off. I justify it on the grounds that I want to see where I'm going before flying into one of the station walls but the real reason is so that I can fantasize about being a Harrier pilot :D
Last edited by brucewarren on Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:29

The 100 credits limitation thing sounds a bit daft - people say have been suiciding to get 1000 credits on a restart. I wonder if the 100 was a typo.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:37

It only works up to a certain distance. Right now I must be over 100 jumps from earth, and it will not lay out any kind of route to Earth, it will show me where sol is and that is it. I'm trying to get there, but I'm exploring on the way and I'm having to do it bit by bit going to take forever. Frontier only knows why I spawned so far away from SOL. But as I said in a previous post, I'm probably the first person to enter a lot of the sectors I'm going through.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 15:46

Ouch.

I guess some sort of limit would be expected. That said what's your FSD range like? Space is clumpy and if there's a single gap in the chain too big for the drive no route for you.

Before I could get a route to sol to appear, I swapped to the eagle but my drive was still too much of a wimp so I threw out everything - shields, guns, discovery scanner, clothes, cat, granny you know the drill.

Grim Lock
x4

Post by Grim Lock » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 16:36

Made to sol today, also spawned about 150ly away, have to admit was less of a chore than i expected, occaisonally taking a detour to visit a interesting looking star, made a few bucks selling data too. Now i've decided to remain in known (for me) space and do a little trucking and later destroying.
Megatron: "You don't scare me, you mechanical throwbacks!"
GrimLock: "Good Megatron, we love stupid enemies"

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 20:04

I'm finding the jump range of the sidewinder SERIOUSLY limiting and more then a little frustrating. Is there a way of increasing a ships jump range other then shedding equipment and flying without cargo?
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Mon, 24. Nov 14, 20:09

Getting a new jump drive or earning enough for a better ship. Jump distances are quite limited.

Return to “Off Topic English”