X3TC Joystick issue

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

GHolyoake
x3tc

X3TC Joystick issue

Post by GHolyoake » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 14:10

After a long period of not playing X games, I restarted playing X3TC after finding a way to resurrect my Sidewinder FFP joystick (see http://code.google.com/p/adapt-ffb-joy/ if interested).

I am once again firmly hooked on the game, but I am slightly irritated by 1 particular issue with the joystick function. Specifically, the throttle control on the joystick does not appear to be recognised by the game, although it does operate correctly in the Windows Control Panel diagnostic tool (Win 7 Ultimate x64). Everything else works perfectly - all buttons operating and FFB effects.

I was hoping that someone here might be able to suggest some things to try that might help to resolve this. I realise I can use Z and X keys to control the throttle, but personally I find it much easier to use the stick's control, especially when trying to control speed during close fighting.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 16:14

If I recall correctly, you have to (unintuitively) *untick* the in-game setting 'use joystick throttle control' and then it starts working. (Don't ask me why it is set up like that!)
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

GHolyoake
x3tc

Post by GHolyoake » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 18:45

Do you mean the option under the Input Device options on the splash screen? If so that check box doesn't appear to make any difference whether it is ticked or not.

If there is another option somewhere in the game menu I can't find it.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 19:27

Have a look here for some further hints perhaps.

Also does your joystick control panel have a 'configure as gamepad' option? If so, try changing that.

Always worth trying the 'Ignore previous settings' option in the game splash screen in case your stick defaults are being overridden, although you may lose your prior set-up options in the process.

I am running out of ideas so I hope a Sidewinder user will step in here.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

GHolyoake
x3tc

Post by GHolyoake » Thu, 29. Jan 15, 20:41

Thanks for the suggestions, but unfortunately no combination of 'Use throttle', 'Configure as gamepad', and 'Ignore last settings...' have made any difference. I'd be completely prepared to accept that it must be something to do with the customised LUFA driver, except that the throttle function works perfectly in Microsoft Flight Simulator X.

If anyone else has any more suggestions I'd love to give them a try...

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”