[3.20 TO] Attacking repair drones causes crash

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Zetoss
x4

[3.20 TO] Attacking repair drones causes crash

Post by Zetoss » Mon, 2. Mar 15, 20:29

Would love to provide a save but loading a save very shortly before this happens will make the game not crash - tried several times.

How to: Play for some time >> take on a capship and disable engines >> let it sit for some time so the repair drones swarm around it >> launch a missile (I've only tried Astrobees but anything with good blast radius will probably do the trick) at the drones making several of them blow up at the exact same moment >> instant crash 100% of the times I've tried this / never crashes if I save and load shortly before it happens.

Additional (barely related) sidenotes for when someone at Ego HQ has downtime:
- Combat missions are still spawning enemies right next to stations so they get shredded almost immediately, often find myself reloading a save 15 times to be able to actually get to the target before it's doomed, a fix has been requested in the past but I never saw you reply to it so figured I'd remind you.
- Traitor drones make ships with disabled engines start moving again immediately upon launching a mine aimed at them, the movement stops the moment all mines are detonated regardless of attached/unattached. Not sure when this behavior started but it makes Traitors really bad for nailing down a potential target for capture as it can move into range of a station before detonation.

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Wed, 4. Mar 15, 07:42

There seems to be more causes of ships suddenly moving without having any engines, I've not yet determined the cause since it's very rare but I'm probably up to at least twice now that ships have suddenly twisted out of my grasp and into the reach of stations without explanation and then getting shredded before I could finish boarding. Just now spent an hour loading over a dozen quicksaves to get a ship to spawn sufficiently far from a station that I could get there and nail it down before I finally succeeded, only to find it started moving even without a Traitor bugging it and of couse it got really dead really fast after that. :(

Also had another several crashes due to accidentally blowing up repair drones, on top of that several more confirmations that loading a save where the mothership is present will prevent the crash, this is one of the most predictable crashes I've seen in a long time.

linolafett
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by linolafett » Wed, 4. Mar 15, 10:07

Could you please test the issue with 3.50 beta2? It may have been fixed already.

"Traitor drones make ships with disabled engines start moving again immediately upon launching a mine aimed at them, the movement stops the moment all mines are detonated regardless of attached/unattached. Not sure when this behavior started but it makes Traitors really bad for nailing down a potential target for capture as it can move into range of a station before detonation."

Sounds interesting. I just have to destroy engines on a xl ship and then launch a traitor drones mine to make them move?

By the way, please split up bugreports. Putting multiple issues in one thread is a no no. Maybe just open another one with the issue above.

Zetoss
x4

Post by Zetoss » Wed, 4. Mar 15, 12:45

Had some spare time and tried this on the 3.50b2 but results are a bit inconclusive, the drones behave very differently by spreading thin and I can't get a simultaneous mass strike, tried it for an hour now... The best I could do was detonating bombs and launching missiles but it's very likely I failed to get two on the exact same strike because I couldn't find a situation where they were packed tightly enough, not to mention they seem less eager to show up at all. Regardless of the bug still existing or not it just became really unlikely to cause more problems, I'll keep an eye out and let you know if it happens again.

Oh I wasn't sure the traitor drone bug was a big deal but I'll kick up a thread for it if it's helpful even though you got it already, got another bug with them as well so there will actually be two new treads shortly.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”