OS X support thread

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 23. Oct 15, 11:58

Hi,

Thanks for your report, some ideas on narrowing it down:

1. I'd like to know if this also happens under windows - is there a possibility for you to test it ( try the "lil mods" case) ? If so, please don't use the mac-savegame, but start 'fresh', so we can rule out any problems transferring over.

Note: Even better would be to test on the mac without any mods, and do the same on windows.

2. Could you specify what 'lil mods' you are using? For example, any mods influencing the engineer could break stations.

3. When you say "but now it starts again that i find stations that are stunned", do you mean shipyards specifically - or does it happen to any station ?

4. I'd like to have a savegame ( + mods needed ) of the situation where your stations are stuck. If you send me that ( zipped please, to crash at egosoft.com ) we can take a look.

Generally, as you are aware, as long as mods are involved, it will be low on our priority list. If you can reproduce it in vanilla that will raise the priority.

/R

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Fri, 23. Oct 15, 22:08

hi and thanks for helping
to 1. just installed the game under windows , starting another test

2. tested different mods in 4 different games , but none of them twice so i cannot point on a special mod
( the only thing that just came to my mind - what if a mod that has been removed still has some traces in the game or hasn't been removed complete )

3 in my last game i haven't installed any shipyard mods because i was suspicious , it happened to all stations .
i just use these mods - they looked not that special for me i cannot imagine they go too deep into the game :
- show me your faction
- MK5 available
- NPC gain experience
- more crew
- show skills
- reveal things on this one i also was suspicious , but tested a game without this one , no difference

primus2000
x4

Post by primus2000 » Sat, 7. Nov 15, 20:56

hate to say it
under windows (Bootcamp) everything works normally , even with a lot of mods ( more than i used before)
everything works great , all factory work normally
even the big Shipyards got attacked , hull about 86 %
30 minutes later hull is 100 %
economy is normal , all goods are available

i am no windows hater or apple nerd, but have to say it clearly :
under windows the game is very touchy , i save every 10 minutes because the game freezes all the time , especially when i don't use anything and leave the computer for a few minutes .
I installed a new win 8.1
Under MAC OS i let it run over night and the complete next day when i am on work , no problem .
And under MAC i have no lags , under windows regulary i get lags after a while , i then have to close the game and restart. then it works for may 30 Minutes .

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 17:15

Did anyone have a chance to test joystick/controller support? If so, any issues? How was the default mapping - did you need to change any axis/buttons?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:00

@rboerdijk

No, nothing works. Neither my wired xbox 360 controller nor my Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X. :(

The Thrustmaster Hotas works very well with X3 Terran Conflict.

My Specs:
X Rebirth 3.61 (200382 OSX 1B)
iMac 27" late 2013, 3,4 GHz Core i5, 16GB RAM, GTX 780M 4GB
OSX El Capitan 10.11.1

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:04

Thanks for the feedback,

For the xbox controller you have to have some driver installed - otherwise osx doesn't support it. I'm not behind my machine, so I can't check exactly which one I'm using ( and I tested under yosemite, upgraded my machine today to E Capitan and will retest on monday ).

Strange that there is no reaction at all from the joystick, will also retest that locally... Did anyone else get it to work ?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:08

I have installed the XBox 360 controller driver 0.15 beta 3. With this driver the x360 works fine with every game except Rebirth.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:26

Hmm.. strange... "it worked on my machine" (tm). I asked the guys in the Linux forum to give it a test on that OS too ( it's the same code). Either way I'll retest this on monday.

One more question, if you go into the controller menu, does it show anything ( like "xbox controller") - or is it completely empty ?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 13. Nov 15, 21:41

It's completely empty. No entry for the X360 or the Thrustmaster Hotas.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 00:07

... and I assume you are running build "3.61 Build 19 (202267)" ?

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Sat, 14. Nov 15, 01:14

No. The game shows me 3.61 (200382 OSX 18 ). This is the newest version Steam offers me.
If it will be useful for you: Steam says the actual content build ID is 821169.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 10:04

Can you try again? It should now show 3.61 (202267 build 19).

For the Joystick load the "Joystick (osx/linux)"-profile for some (hopefully) somewhat decent mappings. And you can always remap it yourself.

For reference, I'm using the "XBox 360 controller driver version 0.14" - that one works for Yosemite ( didn't test yet under El Capitan ).

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Mon, 16. Nov 15, 20:27

I give it another try with build 19. Both my x360 and my Hotas are working well. I can configure them as I like to and was able to save and manage my settings.
FYI the x360 works great with XBOX 360 Controller Driver 0.15 (Beta 3).
Thanks for your support!

But there are some other issues with the game.
1. Sometimes the game freezes.
The OS shows me the spinning beachball of death . There are still some noises from the environment in the background but I cannot do anything in the game. In this case I have to force quit the game. I have bought the game a few days ago and played it just for a couple of hours(less then ten hours). During this time I have three freezes.
2. There are some issues with the subtitles.
The subtitles are not synchronized with the voices. The subtitles are far behind the spoken words. When I switch the subtitles off the last few words were always shown.
Dagegen!

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Thu, 19. Nov 15, 11:58

Haudrauf wrote: 2. There are some issues with the subtitles.
The subtitles are not synchronized with the voices. The subtitles are far behind the spoken words. When I switch the subtitles off the last few words were always shown.
We have a fix for this in 4.0 versions - note that it's unlikely we will do another update for 3.61 on the osx/linux branches, so it might take some time before you can try it.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Thu, 19. Nov 15, 12:02

Haudrauf wrote: 1. Sometimes the game freezes.
The OS shows me the spinning beachball of death . There are still some noises from the environment in the background but I cannot do anything in the game. In this case I have to force quit the game. I have bought the game a few days ago and played it just for a couple of hours(less then ten hours). During this time I have three freezes.
These kind of issues are always hard to fix, because it's usually hard to reproduce - and good repro cases make it much easier to find.

Is there anything specific you were doing?
Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed - and did you switch to another app?
Were you playing the "campaign" (if so, roughly where in the campaign did it happen) or "free play" ?

Another question, what hardware do you have ( macbook, imac - which GPU ? ).

Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf » Fri, 20. Nov 15, 21:18

rboerdijk wrote: Is there anything specific you were doing?
No.
rboerdijk wrote: Are you playing in fullscreen or windowed - and did you switch to another app?
Fullscreen - No
rboerdijk wrote: Were you playing the "campaign" (if so, roughly where in the campaign did it happen) or "free play" ?
I play the campaign.
1. It happens one time when I start the Game. The program icon was jumping in the dock and nothing happens. The beachball of death was rotating endless. I have to force quit Rebirth.
2. It happens at the beginning of the campaign when I was told to hold Yisha onboard. After that dialog I entered the menu to look at something (I don't remember what). Approximately one or two seconds after I left the menu the game freezes.
3. I flew in space on my way to my freighter hidden in an ice asteroid field. During my flight the game freezes.

rboerdijk wrote: Another question, what hardware do you have ( macbook, imac - which GPU ? ).
iMac 27" late 2013, 3,4 GHz Core i5, 16GB RAM, GTX 780M 4GB
OSX El Capitan 10.11.1
Dagegen!

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Fri, 20. Nov 15, 22:25

Thanks for the info, I'll try early next week and see if I can get a freeze on my system. I do know of another similar issue under El Capitan, but that happened when switching into side-by-side fullscreen ( that should be fixed in our internal builds and it didn't happen on my iMac ).

If you have any other such freezes, please report back with a short description of what happened, maybe we can narrow down when it happens (or at least get an estimate on how often it happens ).

Eriru Drourojj
x4

Post by Eriru Drourojj » Mon, 14. Dec 15, 17:39

Hi,

Still having the same issue with the loading times, upside something changed possibly a driver update I downloaded but my Xbox one controller now works with rebirth.

Also can anyone confirm that Ren's cockpit chair animation still isn't right, I haven't been able to find a post I made a while ago(not sure how to use the forums search functions effectively still) The chair turns toward the central display in the cockpit when entering but doesn't turn fully or move back. I get this in any new game starts in either OS X el capitan and win 8.1 bootcamp.
Ever since man first left his cave and met a stranger with a different language and a new way of looking at things, the human race has had a dream, to kill him so we don't have to learn his language or his new way of looking at things!!! - Zap Brannigan

toby_p
xr

No repairs

Post by toby_p » Mon, 1. Feb 16, 12:21

Hi,

first of all: great work on the OS X version! I am not sure why you still call it "Alpha", it is working really really well!
However, I have encountered a strange problem: in my game, no hull repairs are getting done. Neither for ships nor stations. Yes, my ships have 5* engineers AND construction drones aboard, but they're not getting repaired. Sometimes not even in shipyards: I order them to repair, they take my money, the ship docks, some time passes and it undocks again, with the same low hull percentage as before!
The point where this gets really annoying is stations. I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that NPC stations are supposed to repair damaged modules over time. Well, mine don't. This means that every module that was ever destroyed by the omnipresent Heretic Vanguards or other pirates stays this way. The problem is that the destroyed modules usually are storage modules - so now all those stations can't store the resources needed to produce their products anymore, which means the economy totally stalls. I have trade agents on every single station in OL and there is currently no Bio-Electric Neurogel and no BoFu offered in the whole system. I am aware that production may slow down due to various reasons, so I went to those stations and checked them out. They do not have any trade offers to buy the resources they need and when I check their storage, it says 0/0 - so if I get it correctly, they cannot store the resources because their storage is destroyed.

My system:
MacBook Pro 15" Retina Mid '14
2,5 Ghz Intel i7
16 GB RAM
Intel Iris Pro & Nvidia GeForce GT 750M

Game:
X Rebirth 4.0 Beta 6 Hotfix 1
No mods are or ever were installed.

The reason I am reporting this here is that I tried to play my save game on Windows 8.1 and all my ships immediately started repairing themselves.
Should I also report this in the Bug Tracker or do you generally do that?

timon37
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Re: No repairs

Post by timon37 » Mon, 1. Feb 16, 17:28

@toby_p

Could you upload your savegame somewhere? Alternatively send it to my or Rogers email (top of first post).

We currently prefer if you just directly post to the bug-tracker (it's anonymous so include your forum name), and keep the threads more for discussions and "request for someone to reproduce an issue". Though you don't have to create the issue now.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”